PlanetCricket WIKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think you should have to have 10 posts to view the downloads, thats what most people join for and it would make for a lot more active members or it could just make for a lot more spam, it worked for me on the rugby forum, I only wanted to get downloads but now I actually like the site and post on it.

D

Dan Sturm

Yeh, we're couch potato's!

The only reason I'd ever go with the idea of a PC wiki is if it gave us extra publicity, whenever I come on, guests outnumber members 5 to 1 at least.

I'd reckon that if you ask the people in charge a high percentage of those guests are actually search engine bots. The actual guest to member ratio is more likely to be in the 2:1 range (if that).

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Why would you want to restrict people from downloading?

Nothing has been put in the download centre for about 3 months so I seriously doubt that there is a technical reason for doing so (ie bandwidth). If its to make people post, it won't work, if you want people to post start quality threads and don't turn every other thread into a succession of knob gags, or better yet make some downloads for the download centre. If its so you feel like you are in an exclusive little club, then that's very sad.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
The reason is so people get to actually feel like part of the site and see some of the other features on it rather than just ignoring it and going sraight to the downloads and I've seen it work on a fair few sites. Then again if this is the stick you get for posting a suggestion I could see maybe its not so good because it doesn't exactly look welcoming does it. Oh and tell me one thread thats been turned into knob gags recently?

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
I've often thought that restrictions like that might be a good idea, but now I think completely the opposite. Taking "The Rugby Forum" as a example, it's annoys the hell out of me that I need a certain number of posts just to be able to view the EA Sports Rugby forum. I have no interest in posting in the rest of the forum, all I want to do is view the EA Sports section and if I want to, download things. Completely the wrong way to go in my opinion.

On forums that require you to register to view them, I just don't bother. I want to be able to see if the forum is actually worth joining before doing so.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I've often thought that restrictions like that might be a good idea, but now I think completely the opposite. Taking "The Rugby Forum" as a example, it's annoys the hell out of me that I need a certain number of posts just to be able to view the EA Sports Rugby forum. I have no interest in posting in the rest of the forum, all I want to do is view the EA Sports section and if I want to, download things. Completely the wrong way to go in my opinion.

On forums that require you to register to view them, I just don't bother. I want to be able to see if the forum is actually worth joining before doing so.
I've got to agree with you on that one, I hate not being able to view things without registering, I don't want to register to something that I know nothing about other than its overview.

sd92

International Coach
That wouldn't work. It would likely get deleted.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Meanwhile we've discussed this, if you want to talk about wikipedia you can do so in the forum for the web. Thread closed.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Meanwhile we've discussed this, if you want to talk about wikipedia you can do so in the forum for the web. Thread closed.
You didn't actually close the thread ;)

Remember people, Wikipedia is a Wiki, not all Wikis are Wikipedia. But PlanetCricket doesn't meet the notability requirements for Wikipedia, and having our own Wiki proved useless.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread