Programming language help

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have a few doubts can anyone please clear them

1. Are there any major differences between C/C++ ?

2. Any other languages used in Gaming/Animation field ?

3. What if I learn only C++ or C is also compulsory for gaming ?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
C++ will set you for life. :p

chaitanyaraghav

Club Cricketer
The main difference between c and c++ is that c is procedural language and C++ is an object oriented language.
for now, the industry standard is C++.
C# is also gaining popularity(thanks to XNA) but mostly C++ retains its position!

PS:just now realised that i became a County Captain :)

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
If you learn C++ you wont have trouble coding in C. Although the style will change as there are no classes and templates in C. You should know how to program using both object oriented and procedural approaches. C is faster than C++ and is also used in game development. Apart from C/C++, code is sometimes written in ASM to optimize performance. Apart from that a knowledge of DirectX or OpenGL API is also required.

Game designers or Animators don't need to have knowledge of C++. Levels are often designed in scripting languages such as Lua Script.

omkarjere

International Cricketer
If you learn C++ you wont have trouble coding in C. Although the style will change as there are no classes and templates in C. You should know how to program using both object oriented and procedural approaches. C is faster than C++ and is also used in game development. Apart from C/C++, code is sometimes written in ASM to optimize performance. Apart from that a knowledge of DirectX or OpenGL API is also required.

Game designers or Animators don't need to have knowledge of C++. Levels are often designed in scripting languages such as Lua Script.
How about Python ? It works with Maya/MEL I think. Is it hard to learn language ?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Python is a relatively easy language to learn, from what I hear. I haven't given it a spin yet, though.

C++ essentially introduces OOP into C. It is a far more powerful language off the blocks, imo, but of course with C you can do anything you want. As someone said, it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot with C++, but when you do, you blow your whole foot off!

Users who are viewing this thread