Sales logistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say if you could only buy this game directly from BA website, and they promoted this game independently (internet,youtube,etc)
So if big ant sold 500,000 copies @ $100 that would be $50,000,000 worth of sales...
Now say BA didnt have to pay middle men (gamestop,promotions,etc,etc).
Thats $50,000,00 in there pockets, and that would be a great result for us cricket gaming enthusiasts, because...
Thats great that they will make more profit! Because ultimately the more money those guys make the more resources they have to make the game better and hopefully an annually released franchise.

Say if you could only buy this game directly from BA website, and they promoted this game independently (internet,youtube,etc)
So if big ant sold 500,000 copies @ $100 that would be $50,000,000 worth of sales...
Thats $50,000,00 in there pockets, and that would be a great result for us cricket gaming enthusiasts, because...

so you're assuming that if they sell and market the game themselves they'd have no costs except developing it? do you forecast for the uk treasury, by any chance?

Last edited:
.......... ummm no blocker lol. Sorry didnt understand the question..

even if they made the game and did all selling through their website, they would still have massive costs in addition to development to cover things like: additional bandwidth, latency and load balancing for the sales and downloads via their website, promotion, marketing etc. these costs would be up front.

you have pulled a few figures out of your ass and pretended there is some "black hole" of money going to middle men that is unneccessary. the whole thread is ridiculous

You left out the whole sales, marketing, distribution and end-to-end supply chain areas off your list. You make selling 500,000 copies of a niche game the easiest thing in the world. Given the fact that Pro Evo Soccer (PES) 16 only managed to sell 1.4 million copies across all platforms for a global sport such as soccer (granted there's FIFA 16 game to compete with but still you would expect PES to have multiple times the sales numbers of a cricket game), you can appreciate the challenges of selling 500,000 copies for a niche game like cricket...
Game Database, Best Selling Video Games, Game Sales, Million Sellers, Top Selling - VGChartz

By the way the actual sales numbers for DBC 14 are 160,000 (without the PC sales - somehow PC sales are not showing on the list) and not 500,000. That should give you some food for thought...
Game Database, Best Selling Video Games, Game Sales, Million Sellers, Top Selling - VGChartz

Not only that the stuff Steam, psn and xbox do is also lot of infrastructure, to be able to deliver the game anywhere for download at anytime in any region, that too the cost effectiveness with currency conversion etc, especially on release dates if BA were to handle independently unless they spend a lot of money the service will choke n minutes!

Also as for consoles you have to go though MS and Sony there is no other way!

Just wondering what kind of sales DBC 17 would need to be classified as a success.
Say they sold 500,000 console copies at $100 aud a pop... That's $50,000,000 aud total revenue, and then let's say big ant received 10% of the revenue, which would be $5,000,000 for all there hard work, cost of production.
Then let's say big ant had 20 workers on the payroll at $30 an hour for each, and they all worked 40 hours a week, so that would be 800 man hours a week so that's $24,000 a week times that by 50 weeks in a year and that would be $1,200,000 total cost for a year and then times that by 3 years worth of production then that would be $3,600,000 just in paying workers, getting very tight to make a profit...

So what do you think would be a satisfactory outcome, sales wise, for it to be determined as a commercial success for big ant?
If anyone knows any facts about the sales logistics, I'd be really interested to hear them, because I'm just purely speculating. Just intrigued about how it all works..

Can confirm that almost every number in this is wrong.

...just the numbers gave that away?

Can confirm that almost every number in this is wrong.
Which ones?
You left out the whole sales, marketing, distribution and end-to-end supply chain areas off your list. You make selling 500,000 copies of a niche game the easiest thing in the world. Given the fact that Pro Evo Soccer (PES) 16 only managed to sell 1.4 million copies across all platforms for a global sport such as soccer (granted there's FIFA 16 game to compete with but still you would expect PES to have multiple times the sales numbers of a cricket game), you can appreciate the challenges of selling 500,000 copies for a niche game like cricket...

By the way the actual sales numbers for DBC 14 are 160,000 (without the PC sales - somehow PC sales are not showing on the list) and not 500,000. That should give you some food for thought...

Cricket is hardly a niche sport...look at all the countries that are playing. Seriously...
so you're assuming that if they sell and market the game themselves they'd have no costs except developing it? do you forecast for the uk treasury, by any chance?
No I'm not stupid mate, but I'm sure big ant would account for that in there budget though. And what do you mean exactly.. "forecas for the UK treasury, by any chance?" Your not talking about UK referendum, by any chance?

I'll leave you guys with these actual facts.. Cricket is the second most popular game in the world, with an estimated 3.5 billion fans world wide, soccer is the most popular game in the world with 4.5 billion fans. Worlds population is 7.5 billion... Gives you a good idea just how popular cricket really is in actual fact. With the popularity of 20/20 these days it is conceivable to think that big ant could possibly sell 500,000 games... After all only 1 in only every 7000 cricket fans would need to buy DBC 17 for that to be possible.

Last edited:
I Doubt that DBC17 is going to sell 500,000 copies on consoles at $100 Aud each because PS4/XBO is pretty expensive as it is in most of the cricket nations countries and if you have to pay $100 Aud for DBC17 on top of that, that's pretty rough! I think the PC will sell more copies of DBC17 because it will be a lot cheaper because of Steam. I see that Rugby League Live 3 and Casey Powell Lacrosse on steam for $50 US. I am not sure what the starting price was but $50 US is like $70 dollars Australian (correct me if i am wrong) If that's the case it should be cheaper for everyone around the world on PC. If you can play DBC14 on the Highest setting on PC you probably will be able to play DBC17 just fine without buying a new graphics card or spending lots of money on a new gaming console. DBC17 will look better on PC anyway so that's another bonus!

If DBC17 did sell 500,000 copies on consoles and made $50 million total and got back 10% which is $5 million would be fantastic because Big Ant could made better games with better graphics but unfortunate that's just to simply unrealistic and not possible! Big Ant studios paying $1,200,000 a year on staff costs that's insane! The game's Big Ant make don't even come close to costing 1 million to make, not even $500,000!

Cricket is hardly a niche sport.

Are you being serious? I'm unsure if this a parody account...

I'll leave you guys with these actual facts..

Citation required...

cricket 3.5 Billion Fans

Oh yes...

soccer 4.5 billion fans.

Uh-huh...

Worlds population is 7.5 billion...

Your math is about as solid as the Brittish pound...

To vaguely engage this ridiculous topic; a sports "estimated popularity" does not in any way reveal itself in financial success or profitability. American Football easily eclipses most sports in its ability to be a massive revenue generator despite its relatively insular impact globally. Same for Basketball, Baseball and so on. Given crickets estimated popularity is primarily due to populations based in third world countries I think we can put in a nice round pin in X number of fans = loads of money, otherwise EA would've cornered the market over a decade ago and we'd all be playing Sachin Tendulkar Cricket 2017 yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread