The Book Thread

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bought the following books from the annual Delhi Book Fair:

Selected Poems by Rabindranath Tagore.
Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

Pleased.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Can anyone suggest epic horror novels or any detective books? (Not Sherlock Holmes)

does it have to be a detective book ? Or thrillers/suspence novels will do ? For Detective, on par with Sherlock holmes, you HAVE to read Agatha Christie's work - some of my favs - N or M, Murder on the Orient Express, Death on Nile

If you want some awesome thrillers, Jeffery Archer's Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less, and his other books. Also Ken Follet's work

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Abhi Suggest me a Good Novels Can Finish it As Having 7 Days Free

What is your preferred genre ? I am very limited to only fiction novels and especially detective/suspense/thrillers. Also some philosophical ones. Not into anything else beyond that. So if you want something in that area - Jeffery Archer is the man :P
  • Not a penny more not a penny less;
  • Shall we tell the president;
  • A Matter of Honor;
  • Kane and Abel, Prodigal daughter (these two are sequels to Shall we tell the president, but can be read on their own as well).
  • Or you could read Ken Follet - Eye of the Needle is one of my favs, The man from st. Petersburg.
If you want some Indian fiction, I just started what is being called the Shiva Trilogy - started the first book this weekend, The Immortals of Meluha and I have been hooked since I started. Link - The Immortals of Meluha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And before this, I read Jaya: An illustrated retelling of Mahabharata. Very interesting take on the legend of Mahabharata, through a series of short stories. I knew most of them, but it had a lot of stuff I did not know. And a lot of related tales from different parts of the world. Excellent read

Hope this was of some help :|

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
One book I always love to read would be Benyamin's "Aadujeevitham" (The goat life).The book says about the hardships of a young man from Kerala (a state in India) Who goes to Saudi Arabia in search of a job and gets hired by a person there and gets treated like a slave.His lonely life in the workplace where he has to work hard everyday and is not even given the water to wash himself makes any human cry.The story is based on a true story and shows the far extend of human miseries.A good book which gives you something to ponder about for a long time.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
And before this, I read Jaya: An illustrated retelling of Mahabharata. Very interesting take on the legend of Mahabharata, through a series of short stories. I knew most of them, but it had a lot of stuff I did not know. And a lot of related tales from different parts of the world. Excellent read
|

Remembered the book Randamoozham Randamoozham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia written by M T Vasudevan Nair hearing you.The book retells the Mahabharata epic in the view of Bhima.Just remembers how underrated where the contributions of Bhima to the Kurukshetra war.

Varun

ICC Board Member
I'm reading Albert Camus's The Outsider currently. Also have graphic novels Black Hole, by Charles Burns, and Ghost World, by Daniel Clowes on the standby.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Varun, I hope you think I'm an alright guy because you are going to be me when you're older.

(you have literally identical interests to me when I was around your age)

tell me what you think of Black Hole, that book freaked me out, and if I could suggest a comic for you, based on that we like similar things I'd say try and get hold of this.

Epileptic: Amazon.co.uk: David B: Books

Varun

ICC Board Member
Thanks man, Epileptic's definitely on my list. Also, have you read Craig Thompson's Blankets? Beautiful stuff.

I've read the first two issues of Black Hole, and they were terrifying. It's the sort of book that completely distorts your sleep and dreams.

Siddhant007

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Finished Reading
One Night @The CallCenter
Half Girlfriend
2States
The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bought
3Mistakes of My Life
Rusty Goes to London

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Hello guys!

I'm absolutely delighted to share with you all that my eBook on India's youth got released a few days ago and is available currently on SmashWords and will soon be available on Flipkart and Amazon websites.

The idea of writing on India's youth came to my mind a couple of months ago and since then I rigorously started working on this project. My eBook "best.generation.ever." focuses on today's India, the very India where the 54% of the population is "youth".

Midst the driving factor of writing the exceptional achievements of young Indians, I've also given equal importance to highlighting some of the obstacles in it's way which are stopping it from seizing it's true potential and therefore, I also emphasize on the way ahead for young Indians to truly make India - a force to be reckoned with.

I therefore welcome the members of PlanetCricket to please read my eBook and either message me or email me on - [email protected] and I shall very delightfully give you a 100% discount coupon to buy and read the book and let me know your views.

For members outside of India, the book isn't only a brief thesis of current India but also an outlook of the world pattern - in terms of achievements of "youths" from all around the world and the way they're changing the whole "dynamics" and making inroads in different fields of life with their young and sharp minds.

The book is available on GooglePlay if anyone of you wants to check it out :) - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Aditya_Jha_Best_Generation_Ever?id=FYupBgAAQBAJ

Users who are viewing this thread