Story The Rebel Tour Thread - links to all reports and videos in OP

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The biggest mistake I made was giving defensive players low attack scores - all this means is when they do attack they are more likely to chip up a catch.

Interesting. I was hoping that the AI would recognise the strengths and weaknesses of the player it was controlling and play accordingly, but I'm guessing that's not the case? Bit of a shame, but maybe mentalities can be tweaked later on at least. How about a batsman with good attacking skills but lower defensive skills? Not sure what shots exactly are covered by each in-game...

Been lurking throughout this thread by the way and loving your little observations on gameplay. Were you still finding a problem with the AI not bowling all-rounders much or something? Can't remember what exactly the issue was now...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Interesting. I was hoping that the AI would recognise the strengths and weaknesses of the player it was controlling and play accordingly, but I'm guessing that's not the case? Bit of a shame, but maybe mentalities can be tweaked later on at least. How about a batsman with good attacking skills but lower defensive skills? Not sure what shots exactly are covered by each in-game...

Been lurking throughout this thread by the way and loving your little observations on gameplay. Were you still finding a problem with the AI not bowling all-rounders much or something? Can't remember what exactly the issue was now...

even a defensive player HAS to attack eventually to some balls... but if their attack stats are low they make the wrong choice / play the wrong shot. that's what it looks like to me so far.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yeah sorry for hijacking the thread. I will do a 10 innings strike rate study with international players and hopefully go to @MattW if these mentalities need tweaking up a bit with some proper evidence. Its such a great thing to have in the game, the feel that you are bowling at a Tavare or a Warner. Granted better players should have higher strike rates, but you can have so much more room for creation with these mentalities

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yeah sorry for hijacking the thread. I will do a 10 innings strike rate study with international players and hopefully go to @MattW if these mentalities need tweaking up a bit with some proper evidence. Its such a great thing to have in the game, the feel that you are bowling at a Tavare or a Warner. Granted better players should have higher strike rates, but you can have so much more room for creation with these mentalities

no worries at all... passed the time while i get round to uploading day 3 of the test... it'll be tomorrow, and it's a cracker :)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Apologies for the delay in updates as real life intruded... back to the tour.

Match 3 - 1st 'Test' at Wanderers, 12-15 March 1982 (yes, a 4 day Test). (Thanks to @maddawg1136 for the awesome stadium.)

Day 3 - Richards & Procter shine with the bat to give Springboks hope. Le Roux takes 4 as England collapse in a heap around Amiss as they chase 139...

Day 3 starts with Richards and Rice at the wicket, 13 in arrears and 3 down. They bring the scores level before Rice edges one behind to leave his side effectively 0/4. Captain Procter joins Richards and the two start building a lead. England go defensive as Richards nears his 100, ringing the infield and trying to tempt him to hit over the top. He plays patiently to reach his century, but loses his concentration shortly after and falls into the trap set. Kourie joins Procter and they have added nearly 50 when Kourie plays a loose shot and is out. When Jennings gives away his wicket to the last ball before lunch, Procter walks off alone with a face like thunder.

Procter's mood won't have improved much when Underwood - who had been taking some treatment from the batsmen - dismissed him with an athletic c&b just after the interval. But that was nothing to the reaction from Boycott at silly point to dismiss Jefferies after slip Larkins parried a cut from the left hander. Le Roux was last man out, caught behind to have South Africa all out 283 and so setting a target of 139.

England overcome the early loss of Gooch to reach 43/1 and look set for an emphatic victory. When Boycott is dismissed b Procter dragging a pull onto his stumps, a collective madness overtakes England, as they slump further as 43/1 becomes 43/2 becomes 43/3 becomes 45/4... becomes 55/5... becomes 56/6 becomes 67/7 as the middle and lower order collapse in a heap around Dennis Amiss.

A slight recovery with Chris Old is ended when the tail ender is caught behind England now 90/8. Though Amiss takes England past 100 the score is only 105 when Lever plays a silly shot and fails to clear deep mid-off, leaving England 34 short with last man Taylor comes to the wicket, and all hopes resting on Amiss, 40*.

Watch to see how it ends!!!

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Great video was damn close win...That edge on the backfoot leg glance to WK looked cool..

Think Robert should have been out for 1 and not duck as he was run out on running the second run...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great video was damn close win...That edge on the backfoot leg glance to WK looked cool..

Think Robert should have been out for 1 and not duck as he was run out on running the second run...

Glad you liked it. So tense playing it.

Yeah Woolmer actually got 1 if you see the final scorecard and on the FOW when he is out but for some reason not on his score when he is out. Didn't spot it at the time, only when making the video.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
That is such an exciting match. Last wicket wins are always hard fought and nervous. Keep them coming. Some of the wickets were such a delight to watch

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Thanks for watching / liking commenting etc. Be cracking on with the 2nd ODI later today.

As in real life the SAB English XI lost both the first ODI and the first Test, I will be stepping up the difficulty. So far I have played on Veteran with batting and bowling both medium, but I will probably go forward on Legend / Medium / Medium.

Last edited:

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Great match and lovely retro feel to the whole thing. I've been trying to avoid watching too much DBC17 until I can get my hands on it with the PC release but I'm enjoying this thread. Great catch by Boycs to get Jefferies.

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Very Good Way to Represent , First Thread Link is Wonderful to Watch all matches

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Match 1, 2 day tour match v SA Colts. SAB English XI win by 3 wickets
Day 1 Session 1, Day 1 Session 2, Day 1 Session 3
Day 2 Session 1, Day 2 Session 2, Day 2 Session 3

Match 2 - 1st 'ODI' v South Africa SAB English XI win by 3 wickets

Match 3 - 3 day tour match v Western Province. Western Province win by 3 wickets.
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Match 4 - 1st 'Test' (4 days) v South Africa. SAB English XI win by 1 wicket.
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4 not needed.

My One suggestion , Please mention date of Posting also So That We can know more clear When This match was Posted ...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Match 5 - 2nd Unofficial ODI at Kingsmead. (Actually just used Durban fields.)

South Africa XI Bat first:
Overcoming the early loss of Richards, South Africa start well with Lever, and Sidebottom (a late addition to the tour party) bowling expensive first spells while Hendrick is more economical and also claims the wicket of Kirsten. England pack the area square and bowl a 7th/8th stump line and bring back a measure of control, and the spinners Underwood and Willey bowl out in tandem in the middle overs, with Underwood picking up 3 wickets. The Springboks accelerate at the end, though lose some more wickets including Kourie off the last ball of the innings to post a challenging 282/8 from the 50 overs.

SAB English XI chase: England lose Gooch early and Larkins, an unbeaten centurion in the first match, gives his wicket away with a suicidal run-out. Boycott and Amiss rebuild, and Woolmer continues when the opener is out. Amiss just misses out on a 50 when he is out for 49, but Woolmer goes on and, after Willey runs himself out, builds a run a ball 50-partnership with Knott. When Knott and Sidebottom fall in successive balls, South Africa sense victory and go on the attack. But this just allows Woolmer and in particular Lever to score quickly. England look like unlikely victors, but Woolmer drags a pull on to his stumps when he is on 66 and England have only 2 wickets left but 75 to get - they're well out of it.

But with some bizarrely over-attacking fields that are perhaps best explained by the fact South Africa have never yet played an official ODI, Lever smashes an astonishing 25 ball 50 and still goes on, dragging England closer to the line in concert with Underwood. Underwood falls trying to smash the hitherto hapless Kourie over mid-on, a small personal victory for the South African who was otherwise comprehensively outbowled by the Englishman... ANd in his next over Kourie cleaned up last man Hendrick to give the Springboks a 15 run victory that was a lot closer than it should have been.

The ODI series is no poised 1-1 with 1 to play!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
What a match that was. You were in with a chance till that last wicket. Keep them coming :D

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Now thats how a match should feel like INTENSE till the end, even watching this gives a great feel with some tense moments like the runout , I was like Whyyyyyyy...Woolmer's brilliant innings only to get out chopping on to the stumps [amazing but crucial moment in that chase], some mistimed loft shots..Liked the graphs shown in the middle to show the position you were in...Was a mix of all..Great great match @blockerdave :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread