True Team Spirit - Take note soccer fans

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Only game in the world where you would see such a situation - the Geelong Football Club (in the AFL) has now signed all but 3 of its premiership stars coming out of contract. They have all accepted significant pay cuts to stay together. Other than Steven King, all offered worse contracts have agreed to those weakened terms.

The players have turned down what could easily be a lucrative offer elsewhere to stay together. They now all have premiership medallions, 9 are All Australian (team of the year), one of them won the Brownlow Medal (best player in the league as voted by the umpires) and another won AFL PA (Players' Association) Most Valuable Player. Yet they have put their own personal achievements aside and negotiated deals well below their values to play at the club that gave them their chance. Imagine if Wayne Rooney was still at Everton because he felt pride for the club and loved his teammates. Even if Beckham had stayed at Manchester United, where he was already making a hell of a lot of money!

Lesser pay to stick together, to play for the same club. That is passion. That is real team spirit. Don't give me the 'soccer is a great sport with all its skill and excitement' argument, because this is the only sport you will see a side put their team and teammates before their pay cheque. I have never been prouder of the game and its players in my life.

With the arrogance, money chasing of so many players in European soccer leagues, and the fact that the club owners have all the money in the world but it can't always buy success, or team chemistry and spirit, isn't it a great story to see a side like this!

These are players who always give up goal opportunities to share it around, who never act like showboats and who acknowledge whoever set it up instead of cherry picking goals and then dancing as if they're the greatest of all time.

I love AFL and Geelong!

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeh thank god our 'footy' players at least have some spirit in them and club loyalty.

Same thing happened with Essendon and Brisbane during their dominant years, even though the players did split up in the end.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
What an incredible Football generalisation...

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I think its unfair to say this doesn't happen in soccer, it has happened in the past, players have turned down big offers from other clubs. But it isn't the norm, I admit. A lot changed with regards to soccer when sports agents got their claws in. It used to be that players negotiated deals, they don't know an agent does, and of course he gets a cut.

Personally I have great respect for players who stick with their clubs. Sometimes it is time to move on, but if the reason you are moving on is that team B is paying you 10K a week more and you are already on a good wage then that's not time to move on, they are doing it for money.

Hoping cricket doesn't become like this, looking unlikely that England will have 6 franchise teams a'la IPL now. Good, I can't stand franchise based sport.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe there is some team loyalty in the lower leagues, but name me one player in the modern era who has been offered a contract by a rich club and turned it down to stay at a poorer club. I can not think of an example.

The fact is, the game is dominated by money. To see an entire team sign for less money than they are worth is what team spirit is all about: sticking with the club and your teammates and ignoring financial reward.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Compared with soccer I can hardly see it being called a wimp's game. It's about 10 times more physical. More even.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
I'll never forget the World Cup of 06 where the aussie fans had a massive sign saying "get up ya pussy!" on it. lol gold!!!

Soccer blows because the same 4 teams will just keep winning over and over again. boring.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Opinions will be different where cultures are different. I have been brought up with football, but I really don't like Aussie Rules. I used to complain that Sky showed such a boring sport.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You watch soccer, yet you think AFL is boring.

Thats.....um, different.

As I said, cultures are different. Australians simply don't understand the nuances of football. I, as an Englishman, simply don't understand Aussie Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread