English Premier League vs Australian Football League

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I do have to say though, we'd not be able to play it here, the main reason for this being finding a place to play it. None of the cricket grounds would let you play there, and also the grounds aren't anywhere near as big as the MCG, with the AFL pitch being massive. Even Wembley wouldn't fit it in there. Also, I'm sure there'd be health and safety problems with it, especially considering the strictness of the UK government, they only just allow Football, let alone AFL :p.

Not true, actually. There was a bit of an Aussie Rules push up here in the 80s (Channel 4 used to show it on Saturday mornings) and we used to get two VFL (as was) teams come up to play an exhibition at The Oval. Most notoriously the "Battle of Britain" between North Melbourne & Carlton in (I think) 89.

As you can see from this brief clip the players took it quite seriously...

Last edited by a moderator:

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Yes but the AFL basically have to BEG for the game to go ahead. Plus if Aussie rules was to be played on cricket ovals, then the pitch needs to be either heavily covered over or taken out, which most cricket clubs would never allow!

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
TBH, the finals series this year was way below the high standards that the AFL has set over a long period of time; the Grand Final however was an exception.

But yeah, you'd be amazed at how many close AFL games you'll watch over the course of a Home and Away season and how often you will see comebacks from a team thats on the brink of a loss or how teams like Fremantle or Port Adelaide somehow manage to choke from an unloseable position.

I'd even suggest following a team (follow Hawthorn if you want to follow a team that's gonna win premierships in the next decade) and you'll quickly pick up how entertaining neutral games are.

If you think the Grand Final was good then you should watch some footage of when Franklin actually has a good game because when he is at his very best then there is no better.

jordox

International Cricketer
England has more home support for their home teams. Many, many poms support a football team that isn't in the EPL. Do you ever see max capacity crowds at the AFL reserve leagues? Do they even make it on tele? Do people live and die by AFL reserve teams?

Of course not. The EPL is just one part of the english system.

But seriously, to be honest anyone who is trying to defend the AFL is wrong. The EPL is known ALL around the world. Sure, you Aussies may not think this is fair but it's the way it is. You can't get around that fact. Sure you may think AFL is a better game, I have no problem with that I just have a problem with people trying to base arguments against the most popular league/sport in the world. It's kinda silly.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
If you read through the thread no one has said the AFL is "bigger" than the EPL. Thats just stupid

Users who are viewing this thread