Sachin Tendulkar vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
C&P time!

Its just like the Warne vs Murali debate for me. I could easily pick one or the other depending on what day of the week it is. I loved Lara's style and tried to copy it in my cricketing days without much success and Sachin on his day can hit the ball so good it makes the game of cricket seem so much more beautiful.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Lara wasn't consistent enough, and was often vulnerable in his first 60 or so balls. If it was his day, it was his day (That was a lot mind you) but too often he couldn't score the tough runs.

I accidently voted Lara, but meant to vote for Sachin,

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
i always thought Sachin was better, and he is. Sachin has more talent then Lara.

but when you look at it this way > Lara was a captain and he carried WI team for so long from no where to some where. and on the other hand if you let Sachin captain the Indian side, he would fail. (and he did)

so i vote for Lara

King Cricket

International Coach
^Lara's captaincy was not really good either. Lara faired better than Sachin, no doubt about it- but he was not the ideal captain. Lara took charge of the side after Carl Hooper's retirement. And he was not really great. The fall of the great West Indian empire started from Lara's period. West Indies got dropped to the no 7 spot in test rankings when Lara was the captain. Their ODI performance, except for the 04 CT win, was not "fantastic" as well. Lara didn't take the team from "no-where" to "somewhere". When Carl Hooper retired the Carribean side was in quite a good position. But Lara couldn't take advantage of it. His captaincy records show it. When they say, not all great players make a great captain, they say it right. Same happened with both Lara and Sachin.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Both are legends, but i will go for Lara. Lara is much aggressive than Tendulkar. His technique is better.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Flintoff and KP are better than both of them. But if I had to pick between them I'd go for Tendulkar. Lara played some unbelievable innings, I've got a dvd of his 400 and it was just the most amazing innings I've ever seen. But in terms of sheer consistency and due to the amount of hundreds he's scored I'd have to go with Sachin. The greatest ODi batsman of all-time, and up there alongside Hobbs and Headley as the guys behind Bradman in Test cricket.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Both are legends, but i will go for Lara. Lara is much aggressive than Tendulkar. His technique is better.

Much more aggressive in terms of what?

If you mean ODI's then Sachin has a higher strike rate than Lara - and that too after playing about 120 more ODI's.

Anyways, I'm going for Tendulkar.

rocklara

International Coach
Brian has always been my favourite, but these comparisons will go on for years and years. We all will die from this forum one day and it will still continue. They are both legends in their own way. I would say Sachin hands down was the better in ODIs, I would say Lara for the test matches any day. But when interviewed Lara says he is a mere mortal next to Sachin, and Sachin says that Lara is better. Well there you go, the world will come to an end, and this debate will go on and on and on ;)

rockyrakster

Club Captain
Sachn is better of course.For me Lara was a bit selfish
eg:400 not out was selfish knock
Most will agree

STLIndian

Club Cricketer
Brian Lara is great, and he was a joy to watch.

But, sorry, he is not as good as Tendulkar.

The stats YOU used show me that SRT is the better player.

I mean, what does Lara have that is better than SRT?

Matches- SRT wins
Runs- SRT wins
Average- SRT wins
Centuries- SRT wins
Bowling- SRT wins

So, SRT is not only the better batsmen, he takes some pressure off of his bowlers with his bowling and helps out his team even more than Lara.

Did I mention that SRT plays better against the best (Australia this last decade)?

SRT's AVG vs. Australia- 56.08
Lara's AVG vs. Australia- 51.00

Also, longevity has to come for something. SRT has been playing since 16 and has played this game for 2 decades, showing his fitness, stamina, and greatness.

One more thing, high scores don't matter. I ask, would you rather have a player in 1 match score a double century and a duck, or two centuries? I'll take the 2 centuries anyday.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Tendulkar is better but I'd rather have lara in my team if he was fired up. Prefer to watch Lara as well.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Tendulkar is better, though I like Lara more for many reasons, such as style of playing.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Flintoff and KP better than Lara/Sachin??? Well then Don Bradman is the worst ever batsman in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread