The 10 Greatest Test Captains

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Who are the 10 greatest test captains of all time?

A million dollar question.

Let’s start with Wikipedia’s definition of a Captain

The captain of a cricket team is an individual who, during the course of a match, has several additional roles and responsibilities over and above those of a regular player. As in other sports, the captain is usually an experienced cricketer with good communication skills, who is likely to be one of the most regular members of the team; indeed the captain often has a say in team selection. Before the game the captains toss for innings. During the match each captain decides the team's batting order, who will bowl each over, and where each fielder will stand. While the captain has the final say, decisions are often collaborative. A captain's knowledge of the complexities of cricket strategy and tactics, and shrewdness in the field, may contribute significantly to the team's success.

Due to the smaller coaching/management role played out by support staff, the captain of a cricket team typically shoulders more responsibility for results then captains of other sports.

In addition to Wikipedia’s definition I have set the following criteria for selection of 10 Greatest Captain of all time:

1. Leading from the front.
2. A never say die approach- Fighting to the last drop of energy.
3. Excellent man management skills.
4. Excellent motivational skills.
5. 100 % command and respect of all players .
6. A Master tactician.
7. Shrewd and astute leadership.
8. Innovative Captaincy.
9. A good communicator with Players, Media.
10. A good captaincy record not necessarily the best.
11. Consistency in captaincy record.

Based on the above and extensive Research I have come with my humble list below:

1. Allan Border
2. Mike Brearley
3. Clive Lloyd
4. Imran Khan
5. Ian Chappell,Sir Frank Worrell(Add on)
6. Sourav Ganguly
7. Sir Viv Richards
8. Steve Waugh
9. Ricky Ponting
10. Stephen Fleming, Graeme Smith

What’s your take readers ?

Last edited:
From what I've seen:
(I'll make just the top 5)

1. Ricky Ponting
2. Steve Waugh
3. Sourav Ganguly
4. Greame Smith
5. Stephen Fleming

^Lol, well you've seen wrong then haven't you. From what I've seen... (Yes, I've seen a documentary on Imran Khan I was very impressed)

1. Imran Khan- He had a great eye for talent and his word always meant that much more with an average of 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball as captain.
2. Steve Waugh- Shrewd leader. I grew up watching him and it was under him that Australia became such a dominant force that you never expected them to lose. Not a single match.
3. Saurav Ganguly- Very inspirational captain. Made something out of nothing; India wasn't a very strong side but he gave them the belief that they could begin to win overseas as well. Kept faith in his players (Yuvraj & Kaif) and marshaled his troops to perfection. His only downfall is that his batting fell apart as captain.
4. Michael Vaughan- Very astute captain who will always be associated with Ashes glory. He was very tactical and his innovative fields and instinctive bowling changes are a testament to that. His only downfall, like Saurav Ganguly, is that his batting prowess was the opportunity cost for becoming captain.
5. Stephen Fleming- You could just see that he was always making a plan, always thinking of his next move. It's just unfortunate that he didn't have much to work with. In an ideal world, he would have led New Zealand to many a victory and his recognition by fellow competitors proves that.

Welcome shravi! Great Selection!

^Lol, well you've seen wrong then haven't you. From what I've seen... (Yes, I've seen a documentary on Imran Khan I was very impressed)

1. Imran Khan- He had a great eye for talent and his word always meant that much more with an average of 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball as captain.
2. Steve Waugh- Shrewd leader. I grew up watching him and it was under him that Australia became such a dominant force that you never expected them to lose. Not a single match.
3. Saurav Ganguly- Very inspirational captain. Made something out of nothing; India wasn't a very strong side but he gave them the belief that they could begin to win overseas as well. Kept faith in his players (Yuvraj & Kaif) and marshaled his troops to perfection. His only downfall is that his batting fell apart as captain.
4. Michael Vaughan- Very astute captain who will always be associated with Ashes glory. He was very tactical and his innovative fields and instinctive bowling changes are a testament to that. His only downfall, like Saurav Ganguly, is that his batting prowess was the opportunity cost for becoming captain.
5. Stephen Fleming- You could just see that he was always making a plan, always thinking of his next move. It's just unfortunate that he didn't have much to work with. In an ideal world, he would have led New Zealand to many a victory and his recognition by fellow competitors proves that.

Great Selection! I like your Reasoning cum selection Which always adds value
and makes your case stronger.

Thanks for your Inputs aad cheers!

robin2855 added 18 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

From what I've seen:
(I'll make just the top 5)

1. Ricky Ponting
2. Steve Waugh
3. Sourav Ganguly
4. Greame Smith
5. Stephen Fleming

Nice Selection based on what you saw which is okay though my personal thinking is Steve is way better captain than Ponti.

Here's the comparison: Steve Vs Ponti captaincywise

Ricky Ponting

Played as captain 55 (Won : 38, Lost 9, Drawn 9, % Won : 69)

Steve Waugh

Played as captain 57 (Won : 41, Lost 9, Drawn 7, % Won :72)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

For me, it would be:-

1) Ricky Ponting.
2) Steve Waugh.
3) Sourav Ganguly.
4) Anil Kumble.
5) Allan Border.
6) Sir Viv Richards.
7) Greame Smith.
8) Daniel Vettori
9) M.S.Dhoni.
10) Rahul Dravid.

Steve Waugh
Clive Lloyd
Mike Brearley
Allan Border
Imran Khan
Stephen Fleming
Ian Chappell
Richie Benaud
Hansie Cronje
Douglas Jardine

:banana2

Wecome Leicester Fox! Awesome Selection!

Steve Waugh
Clive Lloyd
Mike Brearley
Allan Border
Imran Khan
Stephen Fleming
Ian Chappell
Richie Benaud
Hansie Cronje
Douglas Jardine

:banana2

Wecome mate! Awesome Selection! I am glad that you took the time to research and consider Captains from both Past and Present Era as your selection reflects.

Itis nice to see Hansie Cronje in your selection. A Very Capable skipper of South Africa who lead from the front. A strict disciplinarian on the field he commanded full respect of all team members.

I am not too sure about the last one Douglas Jardine. I do know he was the one who applied Bodyline tactics to stop Bradman from scoring lots of runs and which paid off. But here we are talking about Douglas Jardine in terms of his Captaincy skills and record.

Can you throw some light on Douglas Jardine's Captaincy Heroics(LOL!)?

Thanks for your valuable inputs and Cheers!

Last edited:
Wecome mate! Awesome Selection! I am glad that you took the time to research and consider Captains from both Past and Present Era as your selection reflects.

Itis nice to see Hansie Cronje in your selection. A Very Capable skipper of South Africa who lead from the front. A strict disciplinarian on the field he commanded full respect of all team members.

I am not too sure about the last one Douglas Jardine. I do know he was the one who applied Bodyline tactics to stop Bradman from scoring lots of runs and which paid off. But here we are talling about Douglas Jardine in terms of his Captaincy skills and record.

Can you throw some light on Douglas Jardine's Captaincy Heroics(LOL!)?

Thanks for your valuable inputs and Cheers!

No-one agrees with me but personally I think bodyline is genius and I was struggling for a tenth. He only lost 1 game as captain too. Admittedly he was helped because he didn't captain against the Aussies after bodyline :p but he was a good captain. He was definitely innovative.

Last edited:
he commanded full respect of all team members.

I'm sorry, but you surely haven't forgotten that fiasco? (you know what I mean) And know what? Kirsten once wrote in his coulmn in "The Telegraph" that Cronje used to order his team to lose matches quite frequently. I don't know how he might deserve any respect.

Mohammed Ashraful
Virender Sehwag
Colin Cowdrey
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Flintoff
Shoaib Malik
Daren Ganga
Ian Botham
Kevin Pietersen
Anil Kumble

Hope it helps.

Hansie Factor?

I'm sorry, but you surely haven't forgotten that fiasco? (you know what I mean) And know what? Kirsten once wrote in his coulmn in "The Telegraph" that Cronje used to order his team to lose matches quite frequently. I don't know how he might deserve any respect.

When I say about command respect I am talking about On field matters.

Of course the Match fixing is an unfortunate thing. Once that happens you have no respect from anyone.

BTW when one is in trouble he becomes unacceptable to your near and dear ones. Hansie is no exception.

I do not know if Kirsten liked the way he commanded. He had a military style of leadership.(Kirsten is a mild mannered person.May not have approved that and hence possibly coming up wth this kind of news(I don't know . Just guessing)

I saw him at Dhaka in 1999 ICC One day Knockout Tourney where I saw him openly giving frightening stares to his team mates for any missing catches or fielding lapses a La Imran type. The team used to respond positivley with 100% commitment as was evident in all departments.He also lead by example - A fighter to the core.

A very shrewd and astute leader. No doubt about that.

BTW I have not included him in my Selection because of his match Fixing connections. I was commenting on some other reader's eleven.

Don't Worry. My Selection is safe and Sound and is exclusve of Hansie.

Hope you are happy mate.

Thanks and cheers!

robin2855 added 20 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Mohammed Ashraful
Virender Sehwag
Colin Cowdrey
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Flintoff
Shoaib Malik
Daren Ganga
Ian Botham
ina Kevin Pietersen
Anil Kumble

Hope it helps.

Time to call a Match Referee! You have beaten AnnoyingDevil.

You are one step Beyond him.

It seems we are seeing the work of a Super Annoying evil not King Peterson and we all know the diferrence between a Professional and Unprofessional, ethical and unethical reader. Worth a Case Study for future reference.

I put my Unprofessional and unethical readerss not conforming to Forum rules in a category called DNW (Do not write) list to maintain the sanctiity of my Thead environmnent.Sorry!No exception.

If you really don't like to contribute in my thread don't even bother writing anymore as I don't accept craps of any Kind. Period.

I hope you are a good human being and will will honor that.

Wish you the best.

Goodbye.

PAUSE...

PLAY...

I guess I've bowled you a sarcasm Googly then, and I've comprehensively beaten your inside edge and the sarcasm ball has clattered into your Off-Stump. I think you may need to call a Third Umpire, to make sure that your Sarcasm Meter is working correctly. We don't want to have to get the MCC involved to make sure the technology is working correctly.

Wish you all the best.

END MESSAGE...

Users who are viewing this thread