PlanetCricket Talk Cricket: 2nd Test 2nd Day Review - with Hooper!

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Skater says:
Hello everyone - just me here tonight, Manee's busy. I am delighted to say however, I'm taking over his duties for the night - AND I'm delighted to welcome the legendary Hooper for an Aussie's perspective!
Hooper says:
Thanks Skater, good to be here, 'bout time we have an Aussie outlook on this Test match. Lets get to what happened today.
Skater says:
Lets. Before we go any further, though, I'd just like to say: WE WHIPPED YOUR ARSES!
Hooper says:
Hold on there. It's only day two mate, Test match cricket lasts 5 days, not like were going to see all 5 thanks to the terrible English weather. So it's definitely not over yet.
Skater says:
Forecast isn't so bad so we should be able to get this win pretty easily. So, how were you feeling when you took those three wickets right at the start of the day? And don't say drunk. Or high.
Hooper says:
Haha, actually... No, I was quite happy with the way Australia came out to start the days play, Hilfenhaus looked dangerous and got some good swing which was a good sign. To get Strauss early was a must and with that wicket I think we knew England were going to score no more then another 30 or so runs. But yet again, those annoying little tail enders of yours were giving us grief.
Skater says:
What sort of effect do you think the last wicket partnership between Anderson and Onions had on your team? Were their spirits dampened?
Hooper says:
Of course, it's always frustrating not being able to knock over the tail. Especially such a poor one like England's. The mood reminded me of yesterday's play when Australia just couldn't get a thing right and the team was looking out of sorts in the field.
Skater says:
A mood you must get a lot...
Hooper says:
Not really used to it to be honest, normally knocking off the tail has been a delight. Watching Warne and co. knock the tail over used to be a joy, but with Johnson's bowling looking wayward and his support not looking dangerous, it was really frustrating today.
Skater says:
One of your great friends, evertonfan, has called your excitable young opener "Phailip Hughes". The things he does with words, huh? Do you think Hughes has been found out already? Will he do anything this series?
Hooper says:
Well, I think he better close his mouth and pay close attention to how England's young batsman, Ravioli Belowpara (taken from his good friend, aussie_ben). Hughes does look out of sorts against the short ball, but surely he cannot turn into such a crab overnight? He has talent, he has scored hundreds against quality attacks and his form before the series was good in the County matches with Middlesex. I'll let you guys not take him seriously for the moment, I'm hoping he does something special in the second innings for the sake of himself and Australia.
Skater says:
Ravioli Belowpara? Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.
Hooper says:
Well I think he has been below par, well I'm not to sure what his par is to be honest? Scoring hundreds against a West Indies attack my grandmother could cream? I'm not convinced yet, so far this series he has looked like any other "top" County Cricket batsman.
Skater says:
West Indies were underrated. Fair enough, they were poor in the series over here, but Rav made a hundred in Barbados when they were playing very well indeed. He'll have a good innings or two in this series. You just wait.
Hooper says:
Well, I have my money on Hughes for more runs this series, put it that way. I and a lot of the Australians aren't too worried about him. Certaintly not a number 3 Test batsman. Anyways, lets move along and talk about how poor England bowled today (apart from a few good spells from Flintoff and Anderson) and how poor Australia batted.
Skater says:
Don't know what game you were watching mate. 156-8, coming in after the opposition made 425? I know who I'd rather be.
Hooper says:
Yeah yeah yeah, as I said, Test cricket is five days long, not two. This is typical England, getting excited without actually getting the result yet.
Skater says:
It's typically Australian to dismiss us as being poor when we are on top.
Hooper says:
Because we know its because of our own faults. I assure you, a batting collapse won't happen twice in the same Test. I'm predicting Anderson to go for 1-150 in the second innings with Hughes scoring 100. It's just what you have to expect from England.
Skater says:
Moving on before I explode... your thoughts on how your batsmen were out? That's right - out. They were out, Hooper.
Hooper says:
I can give you a run down of exactly how they got out. Here you go:
Hughes - Poor legside dismissal, poor
Katich - Poor hook shot, poor
Ponting - Wasn't even a catch, poor
Hussey - Leaving a ball on a good line, poor
Clarke - Stupid chip shot straight to mid wicket, poor
North - Silly shot early in his innings, poor
Haddin - Hooking at midnight, poor

That sums it up really, just poor, cheap wickets. I was actually shocked, this didn't look like us.

Skater says:
Do you not think Ponting deserved to be out? He was caught or lbw, one or the other!
Hooper says:
Yeah, but he was given out incorrectly. Poor umpiring, but ah well. Nothing you can do now.
Skater says:
Thoughts for tomorrow?
Hooper says:
Well, with England in the box seat, I'm expecting them to enforce the follow on. Australia needs Hauritz and the tail to fight for the 69 runs needed to avoid it, but I'm not counting on it. So expect Hughes and the wall in Katich to come out tomorrow looking to bat the last 3 days out really. I didn't think I'd be saying this but I would like Katich to score 100 from 500 balls. We are on the defensive now and really just need to save this Test match to prevent us from going 0-1 down. In a series like this I think a 1-0 result is likely.
Skater says:
Personally I think we will take the remaining wickets within about 30 runs of the follow on target, but still not enforce it, and decide to bat until we lead by 400 and give ourselves two or so days to get your guys out.
Hooper says:
Well, we'll have to wait and see how things pan out tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to determine the result of this match. If Australia manage to stay clear of the follow on then bowl well tomorrow then we are back in it with a chance for the draw. If England skittle the tail, enforce the follow or decide to go into bat again and pile on the runs then I will not hesitate in saying England deserve the victory here at Lords.

Oh and might I add, if England do win here at Lords, it will be the first time in 75 years! I cannot believe that stat!
Skater says:
I think we've got enough here, pal. You've been a good guest, Hooper. That's all we've got time for tonight, we'll see you tomorrow and hopefully Manee will be back in the head chair. Cheerio, you Aussie sod!
Hooper says:
Thanks for having me, now back to the... Huh? Hold on, where did I put it? Damn it. Ah well. See ya.

PlanetCricket Talk Cricket is coming to you every night of the Ashes series with Manee and Skater as regulars, alongside an Aussie or two. If you are an Aussie and want to be on the show, PM Manee.

Very good on my behalf, some real words of wisdom there. evo, I hope it backfires on you.

wonderful I love the Oz English combo. Hooper was hilarious and Skater did his best to stay on point. Hope to see more of this banter.
Loved the Bopara nickname, although I fancy "blow-para" myself.

:cheers

Thanks bud, well hopefully I can have some more words during the series - ones that include the words; Australia, winnings, Ashes. :D

Good job to Skater btw, not a bad host for a Pommy git.

Still think England didn't bowl that well, considering the bad shots played.

If it was up to me I'd have Manee, me and Hooper every time :p

Skater says:
WE WHIPPED YOUR ARSES!

Skater says:
Moving on before I explode...

It's like a really bad talkshow with an amateur host. I could have a better cricket discussion with Hooper on msn. It would be better in podcast form or maybe a live discussion in the thread rather than typed out in one post. It seems more like a sketch show. It's not authentic.

Skater says:
West Indies were underrated.

underrated for what? They did not even want to play. Might as well have send over the current faux-Windies team, they would have put up more of a fight.

Hmarka added 0 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

It's like a really bad talkshow with an amateur host. I could have a better cricket discussion with Hooper on msn. It would be better in podcast form or maybe a live discussion in the thread rather than typed out in one post.

podcast would be perfect. or a live Skypecast would be even better

It's like a really bad talkshow with an amateur host. I could have a better cricket discussion with Hooper on msn. It would be better in podcast form or maybe a live discussion in the thread rather than typed out in one post. It seems more like a sketch show. It's not authentic.
Haha, like our old MSN convos eh?

I don't know where my microphone is. :mad

Ah, those days with the accents. Anyway, is this transcript word for word or did Lee make it more readable?

Lee when have we ever beaten Australia comfortably, we may be in top but it's day 2, you're mental and way overconfident.

Haha, my English accent was spot on I reckon. Yeah its a copy and paste from MSN.

@SexyFoxy - Yeah, thats what I was getting revved up about. I am going to be running to you skater if England still manage to not get a victory out of this after your carrying on!

It's not meant to be funny, it is an instant reaction MSN conversation.

If you want to do a podcast with Hooper, do so.

I would love to do a podcast with Hooper but I'm not sure the language we use would be acceptable for the forum. :p

I would love to do a podcast with Hooper but I'm not sure the language we use would be acceptable for the forum. :p
Haha, true. I don't think we could be trusted, it would be too much piss-taking of the other team with no real review of the days play.

Users who are viewing this thread