Cricinfo Ashes XI

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ESPNcricinfo Readers' all-time Ashes XI | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

My 1st & 2nd XIs would be:

NOTE: Some selections will cause controversey:)

1st XI:

Len Hutton
Graham Gooch
Don Bradman
Walter Hammod
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Allan Knott
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

2nd XI:

Geoff Boycott/Jack Hobbs
Bob Simpson
Ricky Ponting
Neil Harvey
Denis Compton
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Richie Benaud/Bill O'Reilly
Freddie Trueman
John Snow
Glenn McGrath

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Love the balance of that first XI, with Miller and Botham there. But I'm not sure Goochy was ever that good in the Ashes was he?

And I think you've gotta find a place for Steve Waugh somewhere. Dude was a gun against England, 1989 was huge, but I think he did pretty well on all his other tours too.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Love the balance of that first XI, with Miller and Botham there. But I'm not sure Goochy was ever that good in the Ashes was he?

And I think you've gotta find a place for Steve Waugh somewhere. Dude was a gun against England, 1989 was huge, but I think he did pretty well on all his other tours too.

Reading the article i dont think much, if any emphasis is being placed on picking players who performed the best in Ashes encounteres TBF. Just the best possible playing XI is being seeked.

If that where the case, someone like Terry Alderman would have to picked i guess.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I was thinking it was for players who'd done best in the Ashes but it can't be as there are some glaring omissions. Alderman as you say, dominated in the Ashes. Rodney Hogg is another - he carved up England in '77. And some of the guys nominated like Gooch or Colin Cowdrey or Brett Lee, they were rarely at their best during an Ashes series.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think the least counter-intuitive concept would be not only to pick from actual Ashes performers, but to pick a team for each side. To have an Ashes team of all time greats that can't play anyone is just a disgrace!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Waugh
Chappell
Miller
Botham
Gilchrist (+)
Warne
O' Reilly
Lillee

Was my lineup if I remember correctly.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
+ Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn Mcgrath
Fred Trueman

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Are you actually mental? Hobbs not good enough?

1st XI:

Sir Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Alan Knott +
Shane Warne
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath

2nd XI:

Len Hutton
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Allan Border
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist +
Dennis Lillee
Fred Trueman
Jim Laker

War

Chairman of Selectors
Are you actually mental? Hobbs not good enough?

1st XI:

Sir Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Alan Knott +
Shane Warne
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath

2nd XI:

Len Hutton
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Allan Border
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist +
Dennis Lillee
Fred Trueman
Jim Laker

I never said Hobbs was not good enough in general. I specifically said he isn't good enough to be the 1st XI/best ever Ashes XI. Clear difference.

When picking these XIs as i always say. People need to decide if they are picking wall of fame XIs or XIs for serious hypotetical match-ups. If its a wall of fame XI, then Barnes, Trumper, Hobbs would always be picked given the impact they had on the game.

But if we are considering a serious hypotetical match-ups, then picking such players becomes a serious problem. Reasons being because all pre-war batsmen for me except of Bradman, Hammond, Headley (McCabe to a level) are questionable. Given that they played in a era of where quality fast-bowling/90 mph bowling was non existant & pitches where flat. Compared to post war batsmen (1945-1999 mainly) who had to deal with those type of bowling & less flat pitches in general.

Theirfore picking them/him (Hobbs, Trumper & Sutcliffe) in these hypotetical Ashes XI, England All-time XI or even world XI & expecting him to do well is to big of stretch for me, given he never faced anything remotely close to quality bowling consistently, that the likes of Gooch, Boycott, Hutton, Gavaskar. They become serious achillies heels in your team, since they would need time to adjust & could very well & fail.

Thus i prefer to go for & open with the likes of Gooch, Boycott, Hutton, Gavaskar in such teams, given they faced such bowling that would be present in these hypotetical matchups & would be able to adapt to type of quality pace bowling far more quickly.

Same thinggoes for bowlers like Barnes, Lohmann, Blythe etc. They had the unfair advantage of having to bowl on uncovered wickets back then. In these hypotetical match-ups where UCW would not be used, to expect them to bowl well to batsmen of the calibre of Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Ponting normal wickets & be equallly effective is naive IMO. You just have to look @ how the great Derek Underwood lost some of effectiveness when UCWs ceased to exist in the 1970s, to know that adjustment would be super hard.

Lillee, Lindwall, Trueman, Snow, Statham, Larwood, Davidson should all be picked ahead of Barnes in any Ashes XI.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Still Hobbs > Gooch and Boycott.

Impact on the game yes.

Ability to handle a consistent barrage of quality pace bowling that would present in hypotetical world XIs, Ashes XI, ENG XI matches - then Gooch & Boycott are certainly more proven & better equipped to handle such bowling than sir Hobbs.

Suggesting whether that makes them better than sir Hobbs however is not a question I or anyone can give definately.

Users who are viewing this thread