India

By the law of averages, Ricky Ponting may end up scoring big against India....Stop him, somehow...:(

Dravid was dumped- the selectors don't have the balls to drop Tendulakr even if he is not in good form. Else even Dravid,for that matter Ganguly would have carried on for 20 years.

Don't talk about techniques and Dravid and not going hand in hand. You have to be really sloshed to make such a comment. Rahul Dravid-The most technically sound batsman India has ever produced since Vijay Manjrekar.

:sigh:

There was a patch between 2003-04 and 2006-07 where Dravid played the best cricket of his life. His best averages(above 60) are clustered in this time span where as Tendulkars better averages(above 60) are pretty much spread out. Remove these 3 -4 years from Dravid's career and he becomes a decent batter not a great batter. 3-4 years of fantastic cricket cannot over shadow 20 odd years of exceptional cricket.
Dravid is better than Ganguly. But even if Dravid and Ganguly join forces they will never be able to come anywhere near to Sachin. If there was one player who would have come close to Sachin in the matter of scoring runs it was VVS. but he was always thrown at number six . The second best batsman Indian team for some reason batted at number 6:( even though he was a better number three batter than Dravid.

:D

Well in crunch situation in test matches, i would back VVS to come good more than Dravid or Tendulkar. I gues this sums it up nicely, "To win a match i would choose VVS and to bat for my life i would choose Tendulkar" ;)

Sachin is not responsible for what some of his fans say about him. He cannot help it. But it is quite amusing to see people levelling unwarranted criticiism at Sachin because of the opinion of his fans. Sachin is a hard nosed practical cricket player and nothing wrong about it . Every player at some point in time, in his career will gesture with his bat and will try to escape an lbw decision, be it lara or gilchrist, for the simple reason that inspite of the rules laid down lbw decision is subjective . In case of an lbw decision ,irrespective of wether you have nicked or not, one umpire might send you back to the pavilion while the other may allow you to stay at the crease. So almost all batters raise their bat almost instintively when they are hit on the pads(just to be on the safer side) just as the bowlers appeal knowing fully well that the batter is not out .
As far as caught behind is concerned Sachin Tendulkar has had his share of decisions where he escaped but the number of times he got wrong decisions might be more than that .
So why he walked ? Maybe he walked not to look stupid because he thought UDRS might "see" or "hear" his nick . But UDRS might have not been able to see or hear his nick. This goes to show that this stupid UDRS is over estimated. the keeper,batter and bowler knew there was a nick but the stupid UDRS did not(that is what I read).
May be he walked because it was a dead match and he did not want law of averages to catch up with him in QF's.
Maybe he walked because he just felt like . What the heck .
In your effort to criticise Sachin's fans(he has no control on them) you are levelling unwarranted criticism against Sachin Tendulkar. I mean "he has a record of bluffing the umpire" is quite amusing.

:D

I understand the chivalry and gentleman's game argument, but really there is no excuse FOR walking especially in the current climate. If you think you're out, tell the umpire. Because it's his decision. Not yours. The current climate of suspicion (and the fact that both teams seemed to be trying to lose that match) only make it more important.

Walking was nice, but it is effectively pre-empting or dissenting from the umpire's decision, and it needs to be gone.

Secondly, the facts of the matter are:
- Sachin is a great player (NOT the greatest lol) not going to argue about top 10, top 5 or top 3 or whatever
- and he deserves his place in the side
- however, he is NOT God, he will NOT play for ever, and the fantasy that he will has pervaded the highest levels of Indian cricket and is harming the development of the next generation of batsmen! Dravid and Sehwag are not the issue, the issue is Gambhir, and Kohli, and Raina, and Rohit, and Yuvi, and everyone else that doesn't retire next week.

As for trying to fool the umpire, I'm not in a position to comment on whether Sachin has a history of it, but I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for it. If bowling a no-ball for $50000 deserves a 5 year ban (it doesn't of course), then any attempt to bluff the umpire and potentially alter a result, deserves double that. At least.

Personally I think even the case of the bowler appealing when it clearly isn't out (pitched outside leg for example) ought to be stamped out too. I think a warning for first offence, maybe a no-ball for second, and then a fine and/or removal from the attack for the innings.

For the batsman's bluff, the penalties should start with a fine, which increases for repeat offences, and there should be no hesitation in escalating this to match bans, and then longer bans.

And if the bluff (batsman or bowler) is successful and is only discovered after play, then a match ban minimum, and depending on the importance of the decision to the match/series/competition, this could go up to a year ban first offence (eg. for a bluff affecting the result of a World Cup final).

By the law of averages, Ricky Ponting may end up scoring big against India....Stop him, somehow...:(

Dravid was dumped- the selectors don't have the balls to drop Tendulakr even if he is not in good form. Else even Dravid,for that matter Ganguly would have carried on for 20 years.

Don't talk about techniques and Dravid and not going hand in hand. You have to be really sloshed to make such a comment. Rahul Dravid-The most technically sound batsman India has ever produced since Vijay Manjrekar.

Read my post carefully!! I never said Dravid has worst tehniques because he is one of the most classy batsmam India has produced but he is not close to what Tendulkar is. If he was then he wouldn't have had a broken jaw. Also, Selectors drop players who are useless and thats what they thought about Dravid at the time he was dropped. Tendulkar has no reason to be dropped. What did Dravid do in the rescent test series against South Africa? Even though Tendulkar struggled as well but he still managed to score a ton and the difference between all of his innings and Dravid's innings was the difference in their technique. Dravid is called the wall but his wall gets more dent than Sachin.

As for trying to fool the umpire, I'm not in a position to comment on whether Sachin has a history of it, but I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for it. If bowling a no-ball for $50000 deserves a 5 year ban (it doesn't of course), then any attempt to bluff the umpire and potentially alter a result, deserves double that. At least.

Personally I think even the case of the bowler appealing when it clearly isn't out (pitched outside leg for example) ought to be stamped out too. I think a warning for first offence, maybe a no-ball for second, and then a fine and/or removal from the attack for the innings.

For the batsman's bluff, the penalties should start with a fine, which increases for repeat offences, and there should be no hesitation in escalating this to match bans, and then longer bans.

And if the bluff (batsman or bowler) is successful and is only discovered after play, then a match ban minimum, and depending on the importance of the decision to the match/series/competition, this could go up to a year ban first offence (eg. for a bluff affecting the result of a World Cup final).

Honestly, the most ridiculous idea i have ever come across.

I understand the chivalry and gentleman's game argument, but really there is no excuse FOR walking especially in the current climate. If you think you're out, tell the umpire. Because it's his decision. Not yours. The current climate of suspicion (and the fact that both teams seemed to be trying to lose that match) only make it more important.

Walking was nice, but it is effectively pre-empting or dissenting from the umpire's decision, and it needs to be gone.

- Sachin is a great player (NOT the greatest lol) not going to argue about top 10, top 5 or top 3 or whatever
- however, he is NOT God, he will NOT play for ever, and the fantasy that he will has pervaded the highest levels of Indian cricket and is harming the development of the next generation of batsmen! Dravid and Sehwag are not the issue, the issue is Gambhir, and Kohli, and Raina, and Rohit, and Yuvi, and everyone else that doesn't retire next week.

:facepalm

What did I say to deserve this .

Please read my previous posts. I have said Sachin should not walk. No batter should walk. It is the job of the umpires to make decisions , let them earn their pay . I never talked about chivalry etc and I do not have any alias .

The age old argument about Raina etc dont hold any water. These talks about senior players blocking junior players positon have been going around since I was in diapers :D.

There is a huge difference between taking money to bowl a no ball and walking .

"India was trying to loose the match" . I had no idea . If they wanted to do that they would have played Nehra , Shreesanth and Piyush Chawla together in that team .

Just what Mohit said, I find it ridiculous idea.

Stop the debate about Tendulkar being God and the world's greatest batsmen and blah blah blah. Divert the discussions to the World Cup and India.

Could anyone tell me the "law of averages"?:P

Law of average - to express a belief that outcomes of a random event will "even out" within a small sample.

Basically to express a belief.

In the above context, Ponting has not scored any runs in this WC, so he is due for a big score. By the same logic, SAF have been virtually unbeaten in the tournament, they are due for a loss and so on and so forth. Applying that to our team, India has not really peaked in the Cup and neither has England.

The LOA basically talks about a 'belief' that is due.

Just to shut up Dravid fans, Tendulkar is in the team purely on the basis of performance. If there is any young player who has skill and has performed better than him then you can drop Tendulkar. Dravid was dropped because he was holding a place in the ODI side. Just move on Dravid fans... ;)

This coming from the guy who thought that Dravid hadn't scored a ton vs Australia in India :rolleyes? Ok...

And 6ry4nj, that is honestly the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard in my life.

This coming from the guy who thought that Dravid hadn't scored a ton vs Australia in India :rolleyes? Ok...

And 6ry4nj, that is honestly the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard in my life.

Typical shravi, when you can't counter fact just change the topic...:facepalm I said that he hasn't got a hundred vs aus at home in last 9 years and i was correct. Face it, Dravid is not in performing well for last 2 years. I would love to have Dravid of 2002 in the team but sadly he's way past that period.

P.S: Yeah he got one hundred vs Australia at home. But thats about it. Just one. That too is one decade ago in 2001. Since then he avg measly 35. So just go back to your Dravid shrine and stop ridiculing yourself.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not even going to bother. I hurts my head and insults my intelligence to "argue" with you.

I really hope that Yusuf is dropped for the next match and Raina comes in his place. Ashwin has to hold onto his spot. I think that from Australia's match against Pakistan the warm up match against India, we can see that their weakness is spin (although we really didn't need much more evidence of that). 2 spinners is a must. Playing 2 off spinners isn't one dimensional if the team management think that might be an issue. They are two very different bowlers. Harbhajan uses his flight and guile while Ashwin uses his height to extract bounce and has genuine variety to surprise the batsmen. I like Piyush but it might be a bit of a risk to bring him back this late in the piece. I would like the selectors to persist with him after the World Cup though. I think he has what it takes. He just needs a little more freedom. He was under a little bit too much pressure to hold onto his spot as he was playing for a spot pretty much every game he played. You could argue that the best players cope with that but Piyush has been in and out of the side. I don't think it could have done him any good.

Last edited:
Its bound to hurt when you push your soon-to-be-extinct brain cells too much.

^^ Dravid thought that it would be a normal short delivery but the ball kept low. According to me Dravid is better than Tendulkar in tests, if not ODIs.

Users who are viewing this thread