Australian Domestic Cricket

angryangy

ICC Chairman
in terms of keeping, all you ever hear is about paine replacing haddin, with wade sometimes mentioned in limited overs. however, wade has 4 hundreds to paine's one and nearly 40 more dismissals, having also now overtaken paine in first class experience while being two years younger.

if anything i would think this lack of pressure from the designated backup has gone towards extending haddin's tenure, rather than brought about early doom.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Maxwell is becoming one handy cricketer, just needs to keep those runs coming along and his bowling will be useful if he ever makes it at the next level.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
in terms of keeping, all you ever hear is about paine replacing haddin, with wade sometimes mentioned in limited overs. however, wade has 4 hundreds to paine's one and nearly 40 more dismissals, having also now overtaken paine in first class experience while being two years younger.

if anything i would think this lack of pressure from the designated backup has gone towards extending haddin's tenure, rather than brought about early doom.

Yeah that's true, if it were one guy knocking the door down eg. Gilchrist 1999, then yeah it would be much easier to turf Haddin.

On your Wade v Paine question, it's an interesting one: I'm not sure the 100s difference is particularly relevant. Does Australia need a keeper that scores 100s? Or would a more reliable, consistent contributor be preferred? Gilchrist vs Haddin is probably a good example. Gilchrist got a lot of big scores, but got a lot of small scores too. Haddin on the other hand seems to get in more often. Personally, I think the drop off from Gilchrist to Haddin was pretty small. The real drop off was from Gilchrist of 2000 to Gilchrist of 2008.

Anyway, I think for Tests I'd rather someone reliable, for ODIs it depends where they're going to bat the keeper. At the top, 100s come into it. But otherwise they just need to be able to finish an innings.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Wade's still more likely to produce a score between 30 and 100, the sorts of contributions that Haddin tends to make.

I think if it was just down to batting, it wouldn't be an argument, but it's now about "leadership qualities" and a (questionable) perception that he's a better keeper.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Wade is really making a statement in this match, could go on to make back to back 100s. Warner doing likewise, will be hard to find many haters saying he doesn't deserve to be in contention for a Baggy Green.

Mitch Marsh still disappointing with the bat, had a real good chance batting at 3 but disappeared soon after.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was thinking how Hilfy couldn't even buy a wicket lately. Looked threatening in the recent one-dayer for 0 wickets, 1 wicket in the first innings against the Vics and was sitting on 1 again for the second innings.. then demolishes the tail to finish with 5-fer.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Wade is really making a statement in this match, could go on to make back to back 100s. Warner doing likewise, will be hard to find many haters saying he doesn't deserve to be in contention for a Baggy Green.

Mitch Marsh still disappointing with the bat, had a real good chance batting at 3 but disappeared soon after.

He's saving all his energy for bowling obviously.:clap

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Mitchell Marsh in the wickets again. Happy for Dunk, making a ton. Queensland dominating so far this season.:D

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Mitchell Marsh in the wickets again. Happy for Dunk, making a ton. Queensland dominating so far this season.:D

Having Harris for the first two matches has given them so much confidence they are just riding that wave now regardless of who is in the 11.

Nice to see someone other than Vic and NSW gunning it.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Players like Dunk are exactly what I've been saying about Queensland for a while. They've got stacks of talent and they just needed to get it to work for them.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Mitch Marsh looks class. I hope he becomes a Davo-like allrounder for Aussie.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
A good return to Shield cricket for Smith, thought he might be down on confidence following his stint with Australia but it seems he has picked up where he left off a couple of seasons ago.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah pretty awesome for Smith. Good to see Rorher and Maddinson scoring runs too.

Duuno about this Cruickshank guy though.. his cricinfo profile says he's almost 30, but played Under 23's last year?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
You could pick 2 guys I think it was over 23. That is part of the reason why it has been renamed this season.

Users who are viewing this thread