South Africa v Pakistan in UAE Oct/Nov 2013

Pakistan are looking solid for once, I still don't like that there's only 2 seamers but good to see Manzoor getting a century. As the situation stands, the scenario is perfect for Misbah, he loves these sort of moments. But in terms of captaincy, he really has to push for a win when the time calls for it and not be content with a draw.

I Feel much more relieved as Amla is back in the hut.Pakistan is surely bossing the game now.We shouldn't let them make us bat again now.With still 121 to trail and 6 wickets in hand on a 4th day pitch,we must bowl them out before they take the lead.

I liked the way Khurrum batted.He showed that it's not about just blocking,which Pakistan have been doing in tests for a long time now.He punished the bad balls when it required.Definitely,he played with an intent.A great returrn for him to Tests.

Pakistan in for a historic win?

What really annoyed me during this test is the South Africans constantly moaning about the conditions, STFU, every country has certain types of pitches, if you don't like it, why not pick batsmen better capable of playing spinners? Maybe Kallis and Smith are too old.

Take nothing away from Pakistan if they win this game, they once again show their utter dominance on semi home pitches.

Btw the title of the thread should definitely be changed to South Africa v Pakistan Test Series, I think it is confusing people leading to such a lack of comments on a thread about 2 of the best test sides out there.

Misbah has allowed Peterson to get settled by placing long off and long on. Pakistan may win this but if Misbah had killer instinct that once used to be hallmark of our cricket, we would have won by an innings.

----------

And he has got a long on back for Philander. This is too defensive imho.

I've been looking forward to this series. We got done pretty badly when we played Pakistan in UAE and glad to see SA struggling as well.

pakistan are becoming a bit like sri lanka in the late 90s to mid 2000s. they're little more than potentially tricky away from home but once they're on familiar conditions they are absolutely formidable, especially against the sides that are more used to and reliant on quick bowling.

This test reminds me of England 1st test vs Pakistan in UAE in 2012. Like ENG S Africa seemed to have been a tad unprepared for the PAK bowling attack.

Openers won this for us and this is a major news for Pakistanis. Junaid was impressive with the old ball but he needs to start swinging the new ball like he did in India. He seems to have lost the in swinger to right handers.

----------

What we lack in the team now is a proper fast medium bowling or batting all rounder. I don't see any one fitting the bill in our reserves. Its very important to have a fifth bowling option.

Openers won this for us and this is a major news for Pakistanis. Junaid was impressive with the old ball but he needs to start swinging the new ball like he did in India. He seems to have lost the in swinger to right handers.

----------

What we lack in the team now is a proper fast medium bowling or batting all rounder. I don't see any one fitting the bill in our reserves. Its very important to have a fifth bowling option.

Totally agree, it's sad that a country with as great a tradition of international all rounders as Australia can't seem to find one post-Razzak. I seem to remember a guy called Hassan, medium paced bowler and pretty decent bat. What happened to him?

I guess this is where you guys missed Hafeez's bowling, which in test cricket is still very dangerous in Asian conditions although his batting in test has become crap.

Speaking of all-rounders what you think about this Hamad Azam (spell check) bloke?

Hamad has been mishandled by our board. I remember watching him bowl near about 87 MPH couple of years back but he has turned into a tundler for some reason. His batting is solid but he is not given the ball when he plays a T20 once in a blue moon. He is our best option for allrounder spot atm. He needs to be handled well and needs to find that lost bit of pace.

Let me take the talk about the young Pakistani players a little further. Pakistan have struggled to put big scores in the recent past in almost every format of the game and with Misbah and Khan not having age on their side are expected to go in a couple of years' time leaving a huge vacuum in the team. Cut to the domestic circuit where a guy like Fawad Alam having all the average and runs under his belt and having done nothing wrong in what all chances he got at the highest level, keeps getting overlooked by the selectors. He is just 28 and has all the skills and experience that Pakistan needs. I wonder why he is still out of the team.

It must be politics or something because it just makes no sense why Fawad didn't get more of a chance.

Let me take the talk about the young Pakistani players a little further. Pakistan have struggled to put big scores in the recent past in almost every format of the game and with Misbah and Khan not having age on their side are expected to go in a couple of years' time leaving a huge vacuum in the team. Cut to the domestic circuit where a guy like Fawad Alam having all the average and runs under his belt and having done nothing wrong in what all chances he got at the highest level, keeps getting overlooked by the selectors. He is just 28 and has all the skills and experience that Pakistan needs. I wonder why he is still out of the team.

Fawad Alam, I remember him, test century in difficult condition in NZ, some pretty decent ODI knocks.

And someone else mentioned Azam, that's the guy I was thinking of earlier, good batting all rounder, where is he? how's he doing in the domestic circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread