Superstar of the Decade

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How about if we all nominate the superstar of each decade. My criteria is to choose someone who not only played exceptionally well in that decade but also was the true ambassador of the game with huge fan base across different countries.

Virat Kohli 2010 - Present
Very close competition, can't make up my mind 2000-2010
Wasim Akram 1990-1999
Imran Khan 1980-1989

I don't have any idea before 1980s but those of you who have better knowledge about those years can choose one too.

B

Bigby Wolf

Ab De Villiers - 2010s a huge fan following around the world.
Sachin Tendulkar and Warne - 2000s perhaps starting from mid late 1990s.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That criteria is ignored by me as having a huge following means Indians only by default.

2000's- Warne
1990's - Lara
1980's - Richards
1970's - Lillee

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Including fan base.

2010's - Virat Kohli
2000's - Tie between Sachin Tendulkar and Shahid Afridi
1990's - Wasim Akram
1980's - Imran Khan

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That criteria is ignored by me as having a huge following means Indians only by default.

2000's- Warne
1990's - Lara
1980's - Richards
1970's - Lillee
By huge following I mean somebody who was almost equally loved by people regardless of their nationalities.

Last edited:

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
By huge following I mean somebody who was almost equally loved by people regardless of their nationalities.
Which ruled out Kohli, Afridi and as much as Imran and Wasim were popular they wouldn't have been more popular than the West Indians of the time

D

Deleted member 46200

Which ruled out Kohli, Afridi and as much as Imran and Wasim were popular they wouldn't have been more popular than the West Indians of the time
But great players all the same...?[DOUBLEPOST=1488491789][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who cares about Superstars? You want match winners!
The stars sell the tickets the match winners win the games.[DOUBLEPOST=1488491882][/DOUBLEPOST]

2000's- Warne
1990's - Lara
1980's - Richards
1970's - Lillee
I would agree but would have Botham in the 1980s (joint).[DOUBLEPOST=1488491924][/DOUBLEPOST]
But great players all the same...?[DOUBLEPOST=1488491789][/DOUBLEPOST]
The stars sell the tickets the match winners win the games.[DOUBLEPOST=1488491882][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would agree but would have Botham in the 1980s (joint).

Are we all struggling for post 2010?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Kohli is probably the most popular player post 2010 in my opinion and he is the one we all make comparison to judge if one is a good batsman or not. Afridi yes is a superstar but not "the superstar" for me and that's why I didn't name him.
The popularity of West Indies was already down in 1990s. Yes Lara was one of the best but again by popularity and the amount of runs scored and the average maintained by Sachin are far greater than Lara in 1990s. But I choose Wasim because I feel he was the most talked about player along with an impeccable record in 1990s.
Now as far as Imran is concerned I believe he and Viv Richards were probably same in term of popularity in 1980s, I am probably biased towards Imran and thus choose him.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Kohli is probably the most popular player post 2010 in my opinion and he is the one we all make comparison to judge if one is a good batsman or not. Afridi yes is a superstar but not "the superstar" for me and that's why I didn't name him.
The popularity of West Indies was already down in 1990s. Yes Lara was one of the best but again by popularity and the amount of runs scored and the average maintained by Sachin are far greater than Lara in 1990s. But I choose Wasim because I feel he was the most talked about player along with an impeccable record in 1990s.
Now as far as Imran is concerned I believe he and Viv Richards were probably same in term of popularity in 1980s, I am probably biased towards Imran and thus choose him.

S

Satan666

How about if we all nominate the superstar of each decade. My criteria is to choose someone who not only played exceptionally well in that decade but also was the true ambassador of the game with huge fan base across different countries.

Gonna give this a shot:

80's: Viv Richards
90s: BC Lara
00: Tendulkar
10: M. Clarke

for the 2010s was tempted to say Kohli but lets face it most of the opposing players/fans dislike him because of his poor attitude, brilliant batsman and easily the best in the game at the moment but by no means has been an ambassador of the game.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Quite a tough call. Can't name one.. Cricket has seen some ever greats in the decades by different teams.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
80s : Viv Richards / Imran Khan
90s : Wasim Akram / Brian Lara
00s : Sachin Tendulkar
10s : AB de Villiers

I thought about Shane Warne, but he certainly wasn't universally loved / respected.

Users who are viewing this thread