ICC Champions Trophy 2017

Epic

Panel of Selectors
When the fox doesnt get the grapes he say it sour.
Nah, have a look at my posts in the past, I'm firmly in the anti-50 overs cricket camp, I support it at domestic level but not at international level. We have T20s as the money format and the continued prevalence of ODIs is holding back Test cricket (these last 2 CTs were supposed to be the World Test Championship).

This is not to say I'm not happy for Pakistan and their players because to them it matters, matter of fact it I'd argue it matters to every team that competed, not as much as the 50 over World Cup but it matters.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Nah, have a look at my posts in the past, I'm firmly in the anti-50 overs cricket camp, I support it at domestic level but not at international level. We have T20s as the money format and the continued prevalence of ODIs is holding back Test cricket (these last 2 CTs were supposed to be the World Test Championship).

This is not to say I'm not happy for Pakistan and their players because to them it matters, matter of fact it I'd argue it matters to every team that competed, not as much as the 50 over World Cup but it matters.

T20 is good for the money but it has changed the nature of Cricket, And its threatening for it if 50 overs game eliminates. I believe that 50 overs Cricket has a role in saving the Cricket, Not favoring because Pakistan wins but because how the tournament was played, You take wash outs out from the Matches, You'd be seeing more nail biters. As in my view, I am open for changes in format but against completely burying it.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
T20 is good for the money but it has changed the nature of Cricket, And its threatening for it if 50 overs game eliminates. I believe that 50 overs Cricket has a role in saving the Cricket, Not favoring because Pakistan wins but because how the tournament was played, You take wash outs out from the Matches, You'd be seeing more nail biters. As in my view, I am open for changes in format but against completely burying it.
ODI cricket is not saving us from some T20I takeover of the calendar, if you in fact have a look at things, our problem precisely right now is a clogged up calendar where we're trying to juggle 3 formats when we don't have to. If your argument is that T20 cricket is not cricket and might as well be a whole another sport, well ODIs aren't really cricket either, it's more like it but let's not forget it was a compromise. I wasn't alive when 60 over cricket was introduced but given how humans react to any change, I work under the assumption that it wasn't just embraced the moment it arrived on the scene, but what I am aware of without a doubt is the change in approach to batting it had on Test cricket, ODIs have changed the approach to Test cricket more than T20s could ever dream to.

T20 cricket is going nowhere and here to stay as the premier money format, Tests sure as hell isn't going anywhere either because duh it is cricket. I refuse to accept some bridge format at international level just because it has a bit of both when just embracing Tests and T20s would be easier, the 2 formats could work in harmony with the other, unlike the current paradigm where people keep telling us T20s are somehow threatening the existence of Tests, when in fact it's threatening the existence of ODIs.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
ODI cricket is not saving us from some T20I takeover of the calendar, if you in fact have a look at things, our problem precisely right now is a clogged up calendar where we're trying to juggle 3 formats when we don't have to. If your argument is that T20 cricket is not cricket and might as well be a whole another sport, well ODIs aren't really cricket either, it's more like it but let's not forget it was a compromise. I wasn't alive when 60 over cricket was introduced but given how humans react to any change, I work under the assumption that it wasn't just embraced the moment it arrived on the scene, but what I am aware of without a doubt is the change in approach to batting it had on Test cricket, ODIs have changed the approach to Test cricket more than T20s could ever dream to.

T20 cricket is going nowhere and here to stay as the premier money format, Tests sure as hell isn't going anywhere either because duh it is cricket. I refuse to accept some bridge format at international level just because it has a bit of both when just embracing Tests and T20s would be easier, the 2 formats could work in harmony with the other, unlike the current paradigm where people keep telling us T20s are somehow threatening the existence of Tests, when in fact it's threatening the existence of ODIs.

Interesting, but the gap how the game used to get played between 60 to 50 overs isn't wide infact minimal to none relative to what T20s have done with the style and nature of Cricket. It used to be a gentlemen game and now T20s has turned up into money making commercial glamorous event. Its like too much sugar into a receipe which has bad its taste. I am from old school thought of Cricket just like many others though I can understand that T20 has more global reach now than any other format. Test Cricket is surely the heart of Cricket, If test cricket dies, Cricket dies and you would be needing to change the name of Sport but ODIs have given us enough fun and to keep the spirit of Cricket alive yet as well. You can do changes to the format like what ICC have been doing for many years but to bury it.. Well seems a high injustice. T20 does have its fun and entertainment importance though which is humongous but Cricket style is diminishing.. You can't test a Bowler or batsmen class in T20 Cricket. The criteria is Test Matches where your talent, technique and most importantly temperament gets tested. Its no base ball, Its Cricket comprises of these three T's After test matches. The 50 over ODI format has kept these T's intact having the classic ups and downs throughout the game. I won't talk from money perspective. When you see everything as Money well then only money prevails nothing else.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Interesting, but the gap how the game used to get played between 60 to 50 overs isn't wide infact minimal to none relative to what T20s have done with the style and nature of Cricket. It used to be a gentlemen game and now T20s has turned up into money making commercial glamorous event. Its like too much sugar into a receipe which has bad its taste. I am from old school thought of Cricket just like many others though I can understand that T20 has more global reach now than any other format. Test Cricket is surely the heart of Cricket, If test cricket dies, Cricket dies and you would be needing to change the name of Sport but ODIs have given us enough fun and to keep the spirit of Cricket alive yet as well. You can do changes to the format like what ICC have been doing for many years but to bury it.. Well seems a high injustice. T20 does have its fun and entertainment importance though which is humongous but Cricket style is diminishing.. You can't test a Bowler or batsmen class in T20 Cricket. The criteria is Test Matches where your talent, technique and most importantly temperament gets tested. Its no base ball, Its Cricket comprises of these three T's After test matches. The 50 over ODI format has kept these T's intact having the classic ups and downs throughout the game. I won't talk from money perspective. When you see everything as Money well then only money prevails nothing else.
Let's make something very clear, I'm a fan of Test cricket above all else, it's gotten so bad at this point where I'm not even watching any limited overs cricket and the CT final was my 1st cricket match in months...

I referenced the introduction of 60 over cricket as the introduction of ODIs in general, not to compare 60 overs vs 50 over, my point was the change in approach to Tests that ODIs brought (particularly to batting). Honestly look at T20s as a different sport, but if that sport does well our sport (Test cricket in this case) would benefit from it, and them from us, that's the harmonious nature I imagine and want to make a reality between the 2 formats. You mentioned rule changes in ODIs and that's kinda also the point I've been trying to make, ODIs inherently have no real identity and has gone through many rule changes to stay relevant and entertaining.

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Congrats guys. As much as I hate the result, we were completely outplayed and Pakistan deserved the victory..

Also, I might receive lot of hate, but I think Kohli is not fit for the captain. ( I am not telling this because India lost. ) His ipl captaincy is bad, and his choice for the playing XI is bad too. You can't have Shami and Umesh who had an exceptional year and the conditions which help them, be sitting out. We need to trust our pacers. We need to back them. Shami is a wonderful bowler, I dare say he is our best wicket taker and he never gets a game ? It's time we believe in them. That is one of the reason fast bowlers don't succeed in India. This will bite their confidence too.

And when was the last time Ashwin did something memorable in LO ? I can remember last edition's CT finale. And let's not forget how sloppy he is in the field. High time we bring in Chahal or kuldeep.

Wow , Nostradamus .

Users who are viewing this thread