What's the story behind dbc14/17 ashes fast bowling animation?

Does anybody know exactly how many bowling actions there are?

Actually I just watched a video on youtube, Starcs action doesn't look all that different from Hazelwoods, just a left handed version.

So we’ve also established that you’re not interested in facts, because they’re objectively different (not simply a mirrored action for Starc)

Sorry to burst the bubble but there are only 3 bowling actions for pacers and 2 for each leggie and offi. So much about in house mocap and all we get is an improved DBC17 bowling action with couple of variation at the release point

To be fair it was a horrible decision who ever made it atleast couple of side on and open chested action and one sling arm one would have done the job add 3 types of runups slow med fast would be icing..

Hopefully patch can solve it?

Bowling action itself, the run ups are pretty bad too but I am more concerned with the actions. I watched the official IGN video and also a user posted one. I do notice there is a difference in actions but you have to sort of focus to see it. In real life the differences are extremely obvious.

Take a look at this game from 99:
It's bowling action is way smoother and realistic than any action in Ashes cricket.

No I have not played the game. And yes you are trying to watch the ball but as far as the overall feel and presentation goes, the bowling action plays a huge role.

And that bowling action is fixed with zero reliance on user input.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there are only 3 bowling actions for pacers and 2 for each leggie and offi. So much about in house mocap and all we get is an improved DBC17 bowling action with couple of variation at the release point

To be fair it was a horrible decision who ever made it atleast couple of side on and open chested action and one sling arm one would have done the job add 3 types of runups slow med fast would be icing..

It was a horrible decision to add more variety than DBC17? I can understand why some might be disappointed based on their own expectations, but using language like ‘horrible’ to describe something that is objectively improved over previous iterations is disingenuous and lacks perspective

And that bowling action is fixed with zero reliance on user input.
It can be fixed here as well i mean what's the point for slight change in action for offcutter/leg cutter , swing and slower bowl based on user selection? Just make it static as it's not much of use to alter it based on input , Dale Steyn doesn't bowl inswing and outswing with noticeable change in action.

It was a horrible decision to add more variety than DBC17? I can understand why some might be disappointed based on their own expectations, but using language like ‘horrible’ to describe something that is objectively improved over previous iterations is disingenuous and lacks perspective
It was a horrible decision to recycle the dbc 17 action inspite of having mocap facility

I am pretty sure that it was a design flaw which leads to the rehashing of DBC17 bowling action because of the subtle variation based on user input which I frankly think should be thrown out of the window , no one notices or care whether the bowling arm is at different degree when bowling inswing compare to out swing

Last edited:
It can be fixed here as well i mean what's the point for slight change in action for offcutter/leg cutter , swing and slower bowl based on user selection? Just make it static as it's not much of use to alter it based on input , Dale Steyn doesn't bowl inswing and outswing with noticeable change in action.

The timing is based on user input.

What a great attitude. I'm sure you've never complained about something. A mo cap facility was heavily promoted and basically the only variation in bowling actions is the angle of the arm.

This is absolute nonsense, the bowling actions do look very different and a lot better in this game. The spinners in particular look so much better than previously.

It was a horrible decision to recycle the dbc 17 action despite of having mocap facility

Then take some time to actually write that and review your posts before hitting Post Reply

The timing is based on user input.
Again what's the need to show it's affect in visuals? Especially if it's restricting more actions which could have been added . It would have been damn easy and butter smooth if they just have multiple static bowling action without over complex restrictive visual nuances.

I thought a thread like this would happen but to be honest he is nicer than most. Now for the topic, the bowling actions are fine and a step up from there last games but can there be improvements sure.

PS My question for Motime6 is are you going to buy the game as I am day one.:D

I will wait for more gameplay videos and see, I probably will purchase it and it will be my first cricket game purchase in over a decade. Not sure yet though.

Exactly, and this is my point. Bowling action is extremely repetitive, it is just a repetitive animation and one which you cannot even control for the most part. How hard is it to implement a nice repetitive uncontrollable animation? The default action is terrible, it looks clunky and amateurish, as if the bowler is some novice attempting to learn bowling for the first time. I posted a video before from 99 which has a more professional looking bowling action, that is telling.

The reason I insist upon this is that this small change could make a big impact on the overall game.

Users who are viewing this thread