Story Behind Enemy Lines - An Ashes Cricket Story

D

Deleted member 193590

Great work as always.just started an ashes series on cricket 19,wish I could write something as good as you.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Great work as always.just started an ashes series on cricket 19,wish I could write something as good as you.

Thanks for that mate, I really appreciate it. I write for a living so that probably helps! The main thing is just to enjoy what it is you're doing. Don't worry too much about anything else, just make sure the writing or videos are something you get enjoyment from. That's all I try to do, adding in the little side stories that give what I'm playing a bit more meaning.

Hopefully your Ashes series goes well and you're enjoying 19!

D

Deleted member 193590

Thanks for that mate, I really appreciate it. I write for a living so that probably helps! The main thing is just to enjoy what it is you're doing. Don't worry too much about anything else, just make sure the writing or videos are something you get enjoyment from. That's all I try to do, adding in the little side stories that give what I'm playing a bit more meaning.

Hopefully your Ashes series goes well and you're enjoying 19!

Lol that's why it's always such a good read.think I'll just stick to my edited video's :p
Yes I'm really enjoying 19,such a huge step up from Ashes cricket.Big ant games have always had loads of customization,but this just takes it to another level.you've got sliders for how well the AI bowls,sliders for their run rate,even for how often they lose wickets.takes a while to figure it all out but once you do,it's pretty near the perfect cricket game.
Anyway while I'm playing my series,I'll continue to follow yours.
Keep up the good work mate :thumbs

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Great work man, keep it up.

Lol that's why it's always such a good read.think I'll just stick to my edited video's :p

Keep up the good work mate :thumbs

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. It's a big motivator to keep writing stuff when I know people are enjoying and following along :)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 15 AUGUST 2019

Page 1
OI0Dti0.jpg

Page 2
WxT3bup.jpg

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 16 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 2nd Test - Lords, London.

Lunch Day 3

England v Australia, Australia lead 1-0

England 1st innings - 119, 48.3 overs, B.Stokes 47, P.Cummins 18-5-42-4

Australia 1st innings - 237, 69.5 overs, M.Renshaw 72, M.Ali 17-2-44-4

England 2nd innings - 135-4, 42.0 overs, J.Denly 53, N.Lyon 3-0-1-11

cxTs0BA.jpg

Jonathan Agnew: "A rain-shortened morning once again, but we are well set here at Lords for what should be an incredible afternoon of cricket. England have a slender 17 run lead, with Bairstow and Stokes at the crease. I’m delighted to introduce for the first time this series the always enjoyable Alison Mitchell, and the much more familiar face of Shane Warne.”

GIJiH36.jpg

Alison Mitchell: "Thanks for that Aggers, it’s always fantastic to be here and what a game we have! Packed house at Lords as always, even though it’s a Friday the fans are out in force and so they should be. Will Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, maybe even Curran as well, be able to push England to a winning position from here? Going up to Leeds at 1-1 rather than 2-0 down would be massive.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: "This is the kind of stuff you dream about as a cricketer, I know I always loved it when I was playing. The stage is set, the crowd is here, everyone tuning in at home, key moment in the series. Who is going to stand tall and say “This is my moment” and really turn this game? Will it be with bat or ball? I still think this pitch has a bit in it, so my money is with the Aussies, but boy, it’s going to be a good one this afternoon!”

JA: "While the music blasts out over the PA system here at Lords, let's look back at the short morning session and a much needed half century for Joe Denly.

JA: "A quick word on Denly, he's surely done enough there to keep his place for the 3rd Test?"

AM: "For me, yes. But he still looks to be struggling against Starc around the wicket, who nearly had him early with a close LBW shout. You can’t take a half century away from any player at this level, but you still can’t help but feel there’s a fragility to his game that will see him come unstuck more often than he succeeds. As for the ball from Cummins that got him, that was high quality indeed.”

SW: “Pat will be delighted with it. Another beauty, he’s bowled some serious stuff in this series so far. He’s been very good at getting the ball to nibble off the surface, great seam control, and he’s getting the rewards for it. That’s his 9th wicket this series and he’s been a difference maker. I’d imagine the England boys can’t wait to see the back of him!”

JA: “Bairstow has moved onto 20, Stokes is on 10. How much rests on this partnership for England once the afternoon session begins?”

SW: “Bairstow has been a big time player so far after his 100 at Edgbaston. He made a duck in the 1st innings and he’ll be wanting to make an impact, but there’s plenty of quality to come behind this pair. Looking at it the other way, who can do the damage for Australia? Will it be Cummins and Starc? Can Hazelwood get something from this pitch? Nath Lyon has a wicket, no doubt he’ll get a go this afternoon as well. Didn’t bowl this morning but did get Joe Root out last night.”

AM: “I think England will be looking firmly at Bairstow to really kick on. We all know that he can make a big score and we’ve seen him do it before. He made 164 I think it was, back a few years ago here at Lords, is that right?”

JA: "It was, against Sri Lanka. The game ended in a draw I seem to think, but it was a classy innings."

AM: “We’ve seen him do it elsewhere to of course, but it’s always good to have confidence at a certain ground. I think he will be looking to be the man to really make a dent for England, it might take something special to pry him out.”

JA: “So much to look forward to this afternoon then, with both England and Australia wanting to make a real mark on this match and ultimately the series as a whole. The players have reappeared through the Long Room so we’re nearly ready to go. I’ll hand you back to the commentary team upstairs, thanks for joining us.”

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Tea Day 3

England v Australia, Australia lead 1-0

England 2nd innings - 221, 69.4 overs, J.Denly 53, M.Starc 23-7-4-78

cxTs0BA.jpg

Jonathan Agnew: "We went through the lunch break with Alison Mitchell and Shane Warne salivating at the prospect of a pivotal afternoon session. We weren’t disappointed but it certainly hasn’t gone the way this packed crowd were hoping. Just 86 runs added and unfortunately England are all out on the stroke of tea. Just 103 needed, you wouldn’t bet against Australia knocking them off before the day is out. I’ve got the Yorkshire duo of Vaughan and Boycott with me again, they don’t look impressed.”

M5LS3mp.jpg

Geoffrey Boycott: “Just a bit soft, really, isn’t it? They’ll be kicking themselves in that dressing room as they had a real chance here. You don’t get many chances at this level, we all know that with the amount we've played. If we’re being honest they didn’t really deserve anything after that 1st innings, but still, it was there for the taking and now we’re 2-0 going back up North.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “Yeah, hard to argue. It would have been a bit of a get out of jail free card with what we saw on day 1 but you can only play the course. The game was there and now it’s slipped away. Credit to the Australia bowlers, they have done what they needed to do. Put the ball in the right areas, used the slope well, but you just felt this was coming from England. They still look like they’re prone to a collapse and here we are.”

JA: "6 wickets fell in the session, with Lyon taking the key ones and Starc cleaning up the tail. Let's give it another watch."

JA: “It’s taken Nathan Lyon a while to get into this series but he had some big wickets. A lovely turner to beat the edge of Ben Stokes’ bat before a remarkable passage of play that saw two boundaries for Jonny Bairstow before he perished to some frankly ridiculous work from Matt Renshaw.”

MV: “He looked set, Bairstow. He was moving his feet really well and getting in line despite the lateral movement. It’s just reaction from Renshaw. Real bravery to get his hands up and not just turn his back when he’s seen the big bat lift, and he snagged the rebound. It set the tone for the afternoon I think and the quicks cleaned up after that.”

GB: “It’s still one wicket though, the rest of them need to find a different excuse for me. Maybe this pitch is a little harder to play on that we thought but we’ll not find out as Australia only need a few to win the game. Moeen fell cheaply to a fairly poor shot, Buttler did the same thing. It’s hard to have a lot of sympathy with some of these players.”

JA: "Is it just a case that Australia are a better team right now? Is it as simple as that?"

MV: "It's hard to argue otherwise. Assuming this does go to plan for Australia, it'll be two games and two wins. The bowling in particular has been very good. They're consistently asking questions and that pressure builds over time. It told this afternoon, too much for England."

GB: "The thing for me though is this isn’t a top class Australia team. It isn’t one of their world beaters. There’s no Bradman, Lillee and Thomson, Waugh, Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne, the list goes on for their greats. But they look dominant, they’re being made to look dominant anyway. England are nearly out of this series already, and now they’re going to have to win all 3 of the remaining Tests to get that little urn back. With the weather, we might not even get 3 games in.”

MV: "Tall order, for sure. It's hard to see a way back right now. Australia have done everything they need and the elements might take care of the rest. Geoffrey is right though, this isn't a history making Australia side. Good, but not great. They're just being made to look great."

JA: "Any chance for England here after tea?"

MV: "Not at all. We'll just have to see if we can get wrapped up before close."

GB: "Come off it Jonathan! No chance."

JA: "Resounding from Geoffrey and Michael then, and hard to disagree. Australia have been aggressive in this series, and they'll no doubt continue that here. Let's see how they get on."

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Apologies for the slow pace. I'm currently getting swamped with work.

Will aim to get some more content up asap!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Evening Day 3

England v Australia, Australia lead 2-0

England 2nd innings - 221, 69.4 overs, J.Denly 53, M.Starc 23-7-4-78

Australia 2nd Innings - 105-1, 20.3 overs, M.Harris 54*, S.Curran 5-0-22-1

Australia win by 9 wickets

cxTs0BA.jpg

Jonathan Agnew: "Fireworks from Australia as they knock off the 105 from 123 balls and it’s amazing how docile this pitch looked once the pressure was off. Just the one wicket for England as Sam Curran had Matt Renshaw caught at about 5th slip by Anderson for 23. That was the only real glimmer from England though as they fall to a second successive 9 wicket defeat. We’ve gone spin heavy as we wait for the two captains with Shane Warne and Phil Tufnell, very similar players in some ways, certainly not in others!”

SZHAcPg.jpg

Phil Tufnell: “I’ll take that as a compliment Aggers, I think! Me and Shane played the same sport at least, that’s probably where the similarities end! All joking aside, not good from England. It’s amazing to think that at the beginning of play this morning the game felt pretty much level. If England had scored 200 say, maybe 200 ahead at tea with 5 or 6 wickets down, we’d have been on for a ripper. Instead we’re all done and looking at another day on the golf course tomorrow!”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “I don’t know about that Tuffers, we both liked a drink as well haha! Job done by Australia. They will be delighted that they’re 2-0 up and in a very commanding position to retain the Ashes. They’ll want to win the series from here, but first things first, make sure that urn stays down under for another couple of years. Hard to know what England will do from here but they need to freshen things up a bit for me.”

JA: "Here's how Australia wrapped this game up and moved into a 2-0 lead in the series."

JA: “As always, we’ve got both captains with us and we’ll start with the victors in Tim Paine. A bit of a wobble could have been on the cards today Tim, but your side held it together. Thoughts on the game?”

U0fiqT9.jpg

Tim Paine: “When you’re playing a top side, the margins can be pretty fine. We might have had the upper hand after the 1st innings but we knew we had to give it our all today or England could have batted themselves into a really strong position. Credit to our guys with the ball and the support they had in the field. We’re delighted, we deserved the win and we’re looking forward to Headingley.”

JA: “And now you’re 2-0 up, a draw in any of the last 3 tests will see your side retain the Ashes. Does that alter your approach at all?”

TP: “Not really, no. We want to win as many games as we can and sometimes taking your foot off the pedal can be a dangerous thing. We’ve tried so far to be the aggressors, particularly with the bat, and that’s paid off for us. We’ll keep that approach as it’s serving us well, but if something happens, rain intervenes, we’ll adjust. For now though, we’re still trying to do exactly what we planned to do before the series began and that’s to win as many games as possible.”

JA: “Moving over to you Joe, once again it’s not the result you will have wanted. Was it one you deserved though?”

2L5FkYW.jpg

Joe Root: “We struggled as a team on Wednesday with the bat, but we also fought back as a team. To be in with a chance come this morning was a testament to that, so credit to the lads. No, we couldn’t get it over the line today but we also have to congratulate Australia and their bowlers for making things very difficult for us. We might be up against it but we’re still alive going to Headingley and we’ll keep working hard.”

JA: “How does it affect England that the 3rd Test is just around the corner? Would you prefer a longer lay off to readjust and reset, or is it better to get right back on the proverbial horse and go again?”

JR: “With a big gap before this game and only playing 3 days, we’ll still be pretty fresh I think and it’s probably good to get up to Headingley and look to make amends as soon as we can. The guys want to get out there as well, so I don’t think we’ll have any issues getting up for the game in Leeds, that’s for sure.”

JA: "And any talk of changes to the lineup before that 3rd Test?"

JR: “It’s too early to say anything on that front, but we’ll follow the same process we always do after any game. Rest, then analyse and evolve. We’ll look at what is working, what isn’t working, and what we can do to get better. That never changes and it won’t here.”

JA: “Thank you to both captains, we appreciate your time. Phil, Shane, your thoughts on the match?”

PT: “Man of the match for Mitchell Starc I see, he was excellent. That takes him to 14 wickets I believe, looking at my notes he’s got an average sub-20 now in the series as well. It’s been a team effort from Australia to keep prying England out, but Starc has been pretty magical. Comparing him to England’s talisman James Anderson, it’s like night and day right now. Wouldn’t fancy facing him myself, that’s for sure!”

SW: “Quite a strange match, all told. England fell cheaply, Australia went hard to end the day. Then England came back, then Australia counter punched and eventually strolled to a win. 2-0 is a really strong position though. Three games to go and we’ll see two of them in September, that might be tough. England need to do something different, it’ll be interesting to see what direction they decide to go in.”

JA: "On that note, I think we can all agree that Rory Burns may well be replaced for Headingley. Would either of you change anything else?"

SW: “Burns, for sure. England can’t afford to be 2 or 3 down so cheaply again or it’ll be curtains in the series. I’ll leave it for you guys to speculate as to who, but that’s a change to make I think. England might also look at their bowling line up, but they tend to prefer to be a bit more settled in that department. England haven’t taken 20 Australian wickets yet in either game though and that has to change.”

PT: “Yeah, Burns and maybe Broad, he’s not been at his best so far this summer. What England really need is for their big guns to start firing. England aren’t likely to drop Stokes, Buttler, or Anderson, but they’re not doing too much right now. Denly has probably done enough, Malan might get one more knock. There’s a few too many fringe players right now with question marks, and too few blokes who you’d absolutely hold your hand up and say they’re right on it. That makes it tough on England, stick or twist. Glad I’m not a selector!”

JA: “We’re out of time, and England might be as well. It’s 2-0 to Australia as we venture North to Headingley for the 3rd Test next week. England have enjoyed some miracles there over the years, and they might need another to keep this series alive. From all of us at Test Match Special, thank you and goodbye!”

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 18 AUGUST 2019

YnZq1FT.jpg

England in crisis, but where is the cavalry?

zCMmLUp.jpg

By Tom Fordyce
Chief sports writer

18 August 2019 | Cricket |

A little less than a month since the exhilarating conclusion of the Cricket World Cup, England have slipped from the top of the cricketing pile to a team in crisis.

Those heady days at Lord’s, with Jason Roy swashbuckling the world’s finest to all parts, and Jofra Archer prowling for wicket after wicket. They're now a long distant memory, replaced by two thumping defeats to begin the Ashes summer by a clearly superior Australia side.

Back to back nine wicket losses for Joe Root’s side have left them on the brink, with the old enemy simply needing a draw from one of the remaining three tests to retain the Ashes for another two years.

Tim Paine’s side look mercurial in the English sun. Starc and Cummins have been unstoppable, and Kurtis Patterson’s 268 at Edgbaston was an innings that will stick long in the many of cricket fans regardless of their allegiance.

By contrast, England look frail. Brittle. A team sliding towards inevitability.

One thing is inevitable, and that is change. But what can England’s selectors do? Where is the cavalry for Joe Root’s side?

Batsmen

With Rory Burns currently averaging 5 with the bat, he is almost certain to bow out of the squad at Leeds. We look at some potential replacements at the top of the order.

James Vince – Hampshire (2019 FC Avg: 42.85)

A tried and tested commodity, Vince has been solid with the bat throughout the county season, despite the occasional call from England in the ODI format. With 13 test appearances already under his belt (including three half centuries), Vince could also handle the cauldron of an Ashes series better than someone new to the side.

That said, his weaknesses at the highest level are well documented. As stylish as his batting can be, his potential for edging on the drive will be put under scrutiny by the likes of Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood, and that might be something England are unwilling to gamble on.

Gary Ballance - Yorkshire (2019 FC Avg: 52.36)

Yorkshire’s resurgence in Division One is thanks in no small part to another of England’s forgotten men, Gary Ballance. Enjoying a fantastic season with the bat, Ballance’s performances have more than made up for England’s constant raids on the counties' resources, pulling away the likes of Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow and Adil Rashid to represent Queen and country.

Like Vince, Ballance has Test experience. 23 matches and a 37.45 average is impressive, as are his four centuries. Could he make an impact for England and swing the 3rd Test on his home ground? The local crowd would certainly like to think so.

9j927Eq.jpg

Yorkshire's Gary Ballance has a competition leading 6 centuries this summer

Keaton Jennings - Lancashire (2019 FC Avg: 39.22)

Could England do the unthinkable and go back to Keaton Jennings? Lancashire’s opener has done well by county standard to post an average close to 40 since his return to domestic action, but will that be enough to continue his yo-yo status with the Test side?

A gutsy 122 against Gloucestershire a few weeks ago will have done little to hurt his claims, but examination of his technique suggests question marks would likely still exist at the next level. At this stage, Jennings is exactly what you expect him to be, and that might not be enough for England.

Haseeb Hameed - Lancashire (2019 FC Avg: 54.96)

Perhaps a wildcard too far for the England selectors, but could Hameed come full circle and push his way back into the Test side for this first time since November 2016? He has been an enigma for Lancashire this season, rediscovering the sort of form that had the young opener earmarked for greatness as a teenager.

Now 22, the Bolton man is giving himself the best chance in years to pull on an England jersey once more. With time on his side and the confidence of youth, Hameed could be England’s Test X-Factor in the same way Jofra Archer has ignited the ODI side.

Jason Roy – Surrey (2019 FC Avg: N/A)

With England looking bereft of confidence just two matches into this Ashes series, could the spark of a World Cup winner lift their spirits? Admittedly Jason Roy is no long form player (nor does he claim to be), but could a lightning fast century put Australia on the back foot at Headingley?

His selection might create more questions than answers for England (see Rashid, Adil for a similar case on that one) but England need wins. After an incredible summer to date, Jason Roy knows how to win.

Bowlers

Two games in, Ben Stokes carries the best average of any England pace bowler at an eye watering 41.00. No name is safe on the England team sheet, and Stuart Broad’s two game return of 4-242 leaves him particularly vulnerable. We look at some options to shake up the England bowling line up.

Lewis Gregory - Somerset (2019 FC Avg: 52 wickets @ 18.89)

After putting the county scene on notice with some eye popping displays, Gregory looks ready for a call at the next level from an England team in need of something new. Season best figures of 7-22 highlight his clear ability as a pace bowler who is fully maximising his talents.

Despite Gregory’s success, his selection for England would provide further ammunition for the discontenting minority who feel the team’s bowling attack lacks variety. If Broad was to make way, this is a like for like, and that might not help Joe Root in their search to finally take 20 Australian wickets in a test match this series.

Mark Wood – Durham (2019 FC Avg: 12 wickets @ 24.98)

Wood is healthy, and after helping England’s cause at the World Cup, he is poised to do the same for the Test side if needed. With Jofra Archer taking some time off to rest a groin strain picked up in the World Cup Final, Wood might be the next best answer as a proven quick.

Australia are currently finding success with the 92mph+ ability of both Starc and Cummins. Wood can flirt with those sorts of speeds, though his ability to do it consistently and remain healthy whilst doing so will always remain a point of contention.

WlsgFjA.jpg

Durham's Mark Wood was a solid part of England's bowling attack that helped win the World Cup

Olly Stone -Warwickshire (2019 FC Avg: 16 wickets @ 19.11)

Stone only recently returned from a lower back stress fracture that ruined his last opportunity to play for England is the ill-fated tour of the Caribbean last winter. Still, the 25-year-old possesses undeniable speed with the ball and looks to have hit the ground running since his return to competitive play last month.

If England trust Stone’s health, he could be an unknown quantity for Australia to learn about on the fly. At the speed Stone bowls, that isn’t an easy task.

Saqib Mahmood - Lancashire (2019 FC Avg: 48 wickets @ 22.76)

Saqib may be the fastest bowler that England can call upon from the county game, though if his ability matches his pace is still a subject up for debate. At the first-class level, speed can do a lot to blow batsmen away, but if it would work against a top-tier side like Australia remains to be seen.

If England have faith that the Lancashire man can couple pace with accuracy, they could well give the 22-year old a debut at Headingley. But the timing might be a bit too soon for this pace starlet.

Whichever way England go for the third Test, it seems inevitable that change will need to come. Is this the end of the road for some of England’s older guard? Or can they still take their chance in the remaining games of this series?

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
love the series, keep going mate!

Users who are viewing this thread