Story Behind Enemy Lines - An Ashes Cricket Story

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 2 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 1st Test - Edgbaston, Birmingham.

Close Day 2

England v Australia, Series Tied 0-0

Australia 1st innings - 547, 133.0 overs, K.Patterson 268, B.Stokes 29-1-109-4

England 1st innings - 154-6, 47.0 overs, J.Bairstow 43, P.Cummins 14-6-25-2

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: “We’re through two days here in Birmingham and this game is firmly tilted towards Australia. Big runs from the Aussies have been countered by batting frailty from England and the loss of Ben Stokes right before the close of play only tightens the Australian grip on this one. We’ve got Michael Vaughan back in after the tea break, and former Australian Ashes winner Michael Slater as well.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “I said at tea that England needed a bit more discipline and although Bairstow and Root managed to steady the ship in the early going, that lack of discipline reared its head late on as Stokes refused to block Nathan Lyon out to end the day. That will have hurt this England team, they’re in a jam as it is.”

uDSSmQZ.jpg

Michael Slater: “Hats off to Pat Cummins there as well, he has been fantastic. Looking at my notes, he bowled 12 overs in that session, six maidens, 17 for two. It often gets overstated about the fitness and durability with cricketers, but Cummins is a big fella and to keep on charging in that many times during a session deserves some serious credit. It was simply beautiful to watch. Two big wickets as well in Bairstow and Root. The ball that got Joe out was as good as you’ll see in test cricket. ”

NH: “Let’s take a look at how the 2nd day’s play wrapped up before we grab a word with Australia's captain Tim Paine.”

NH: "There haven't been many smiles today from an English perspective, but we've got a very happy Australian skipper here to chat. How do you sum up the day, Tim?"

U0fiqT9.jpg

Tim Paine: “I’d say the main thing is not to get ahead of ourselves. Nothing is guaranteed in this game and we know how deep England can bat. There’s still a possibility that they can post a solid total and put the ball back in our court, so we’ll need to guard against that. Hopefully we can bowl tomorrow like we did today and that should give us a great chance to get all 20 wickets needed to win.”

NH: “And a word on Kurtis Patterson. How was he feeling when he came back into the pavilion this afternoon?”

TP: “What a player! I was chuffed that I was able to spend so much time out in the middle watching him today, stood at the non-striker’s end, it was the best seat in the house for a truly memorable innings. In the camp we all know how good Kurtis can be, how good a lot of our guys can be. It’s nice that we’re getting the chance to show that and make a few people pipe down after writing us off before the series began.”

NH: “Thank you Tim, we appreciate your time. Gentlemen, a few words for each of you before we close for the day.”

MS: “If you had to pick a dressing room to be in right now, the choice is obvious and that tells you everything about the game. Can England pick themselves up from here? I’m not so sure and I think we’ll be looking at a comfortable Australian win. The real question is how England cope with the situation going forward, but without wanting to be too biased, my money is on the Aussies.”

MV: “Well I’m English Slats and my money is on the Aussies as well! It’s a well earned lead, they deserve to be ahead right now as they’ve played the better cricket. If you’re England you want to do anything you can to get past that follow on total I think, or get as close to it as possible. If they do end up following on, all they can hope to do is make a big score and give Australia 175, 200 to chase batting last. That’s a huge ask from here though, they've simply not applied themselves over the last two days.”

NH: “Thanks for that chaps, appreciate your views as always. So, it’s 24 hours later but the position is exactly the same as yesterday. Advantage Australia, and an awful lot of work left for England. Goodbye!”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 3 AUGUST 2019

Lunch Day 3

England 1st innings - 262-7, 79.0 overs, M.Ali 59, P.Cummins 20-7-40-2

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: “It’s taken two days, but could you say that was England’s session? 108 runs scored for the loss of just the one wicket in Moeen Ali towards the break, there’s just a sliver of optimism for the home fans here at lunch on day three.”

M5LS3mp.jpg

Geoffrey Boycott: “I think they knew I was coming on today and they played better so I wouldn’t give them a shoeing! They’ve been tripe, haven’t they? We all know it and I think the England players know it as well. Some very wishy-washy stuff over the last two days with bat and ball, but today has been better. A bit more control, a bit more application, and grit. But let’s not go crazy. They’re still 7 down and 285 runs behind.”

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: “Yeah, it’s still a positive for England in a game where they haven’t really been at the races. Credit to Jos Buttler and Moeen Ali for digging in and putting a partnership together, England desperately needed that.”

NH: “Here’s how this morning’s play went, with some good production for England in front of a packed house here at Edgbaston.”

NH: “How did you rate Australia in that session Geoffrey? It was probably their least impressive so far in the match.”

GB: “Not a fan. I think they went too defensive and I’m not sure why. It’s not like you’re bowling to Don Bradman out there, no disrespect to Jos and Moeen. They were very defensive, they have a massive lead, hoping the ball would do something and it’s 50 odd, 60 odd, 70 odd overs old. It’s not really done it and England have had the better of things. Not very creative, for me. But to get a wicket in the last few overs before lunch, England never learn. Just shut up shop.”

MA: “Australia do get the new ball pretty much straight after lunch and that could be key. If Sam Curran can stick around with Buttler and they can keep making a dent into the deficit, that could change the game somewhat. If England can trail by less than 150 from here, that would be a massive boost going into the 3rd innings. It'll be hard with that new cherry though.”

NH: “And if you’re Australia and bowl England out quickly, what do you do if you’re Tim Paine? Ask England to bat again?”

GB: “You ask your bowlers. It’s all well and good standing behind the stumps all day, watching the clouds go by. Talk to the guys that are bending their backs for you. How is the pitch playing? Is it doing a bit? Do you think you need a rest? What do you think the pitch will do from here? I’d always bat, bat until the cows come home, but if you lose some time to rain, or bad light, Australia might be left kicking themselves.”

MA: “One thing you don’t want to do is put England in again and have them make a score. Then you’re left chasing 200 runs on a day four and five pitch that’s moving around and giving something to the spinner. It could all be irrelevant of course, if England can get some more runs. But the closer the difference is to 200 by the time England are all out, the more those conversations will be going on in the Australian dressing room.”

NH: “It makes the game sound like it’s a tight one with little margin for error! Still, Australia still have a big lead and England need to score more runs. Let’s see if Jos Buttler and the England tail can make that happen.”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Tea Day 3

England 1st innings - 343, 104.5 overs, J.Buttler 83, P.Cummins 26.5-8-65-3

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: “So the new ball taken straight after lunch and you have to say, despite some late fireworks from Broad and Anderson, a somewhat predictable end to things for England. We've got an early tea here on Day 3 with that last wicket falling close to the break, so let's chat to Michael Vaughan and Shane Warne about that England innings.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “Australia have done what they needed to do, but what we don’t know is if England will be asked to bat again, or if Australia are going to stretch their lead. Credit to Australia first and foremost for getting a healthy lead after one innings each. They look the better team, Starc and Cummins look very good in particular.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “I think Anderson and Broad found pretty much every gap out there with the bat, didn’t they? A doughnut bat as my old coach used to call them, all edge and no middle! It wasn’t quite enough to get England below the 200 run deficit, and now there will be some thinking to do in the Australian dressing room.”

MA: “While we wait for word on what Tim Paine would like to do, let’s recap the afternoon session.”

MA: “We’re getting word that England will bat again after tea and will be following on.”

MV: “Very interesting. For me, I’d have batted again if I was Australia. Bat out of sight, put some more miles into the legs of the England bowlers. The weather is set fairly well, and all they’d need is 150 runs or so set England a very difficult target indeed.”

SW: “I think most of all it gives a good reflection of the mood in the Australia camp right now. They’ve sat down and said, “Right, what do we think we can do here? What gives us the best chance to win?” and the answer coming from the team, and the bowlers in particular is that England don’t look up to scratch here, and they fancy knocking them over again.”

MA: “Is there a danger here for Australia if that doesn’t happen though?”

MV: “That’s a very interesting question, and one that we’ll have to wait and see with. If England can score 350+, and actually apply themselves this time, how easy will it be for Australia batting last on this surface? We saw Patterson make good runs, really good runs. If one of the guys in the England side stands up and says, “I’m going to go big here” then Australia could be under a bit of pressure. That’s a big if based on that 1st innings from England though.”

SW: “I think the first hour after tea will set the tone. England all too often are batting at 50-3, or worse, with Root, Bairstow, Stokes, looking to get them out of the dog house. If Australia rip through that top order for a 2nd time in the match, 350 as a total will seem miles away for England.”

MA: “And with that prediction from Shane, we’re perfectly poised to head back down to the middle to see if Burns and Denly can get England off to a better start than they managed in their 1st innings.”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Close Day 3

England 2nd innings (F/O) - 112-3, 33.0 overs, J.Root 64, M.Starc 8-4-2-22

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: “Shane Warne called it at the tea break. Early wickets for Australia as Denly, Burns and Malan fall. Then something that was also fairly straightforward to predict, a bit more quality from Root and Bairstow to steady things once again. I’ve got a very Yorkshire heavy line up here with Michael Vaughan and Geoffrey Boycott wrapping up the day’s play before we talk to England captain Joe Root.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “I’ll be very interested to speak to Joe about the pitch as he looked pretty solid this evening. I know he likes to bat at four but with how early he keeps coming to the crease, he may as well be opening at the moment!”

M5LS3mp.jpg

Geoffrey Boycott: “I want to talk to the guys that have been sent packing. They’re basic errors. Denly gets a ball that pitches outside the off stump, from a left hander. Now unless it’s going to turn like something from Shane Warne, that ball is always going to keep moving away from a right hander. He’s planted his foot on middle and off, and then he’s reaching for the ball. That’s twice in the match that Starc has got him. I’d be asking the young man what he’s doing.”

MA: “We’ll save Joe Denly from that fate as I can see Joe Root heading down the stairs and onto the pitch. Let’s quickly recap that evening session.”

MA: “Joe, thank you for taking the time to come and talk to us. How do you see this game after two days of play?”

2L5FkYW.jpg

Joe Root: “I think we all know that we under-performed yesterday, and we looked to make amends today as the sessions went on. It’s satisfying to score some runs, it’s hard going out there against some pretty good bowlers, but we’re battling and I think, if we can put some more runs on and find a big stand from somewhere, we could post a total that causes Australia some problems.”

GB: “I’ll jump in here Michael. Joe, what do you say to the lads batting in from of you? They need to give you some help, surely?! They’re all over the place!”

JR: “Good evening Geoffrey, it’s lovely to see you as always! Nobody likes it when they don’t score runs, and I’m sure that’s the same for you, me, and anyone else out there. We believe in these guys and we know they have the ability; they wouldn’t be here otherwise. Nobody is working harder than Joe and Rory, and Dawid is coming back into the fold and looking to find his feet again. Are they disappointed? Certainly, but nobody is casting them aside. It’s a tight knit group and we’ll stay that way as we look for a way to win this match and the series.”

MA: “One final question then, can you do just that?

JR: “No doubt. We know we haven’t been up to scratch so far, but we are a good team. We’ve shown that in the past and we believe in that as well. Everybody knows what to do and we’ll do our best to make it happen tomorrow.”

MA: “Thanks Joe. A word from you both before we close for this evening. Michael?”

MV: “Well, he talks a good game, I’ll give him that. And his batting was on song tonight as well. Can it continue tomorrow? I’m not so sure, things just look a bit frail with this team at the moment. If Root and Bairstow are still together at lunch, maybe at 200-3 or so, that really is game on. Can that happen? I’m not sure.”

GB: “It needs to happen or it’s 1-0 and off we go to Lords, isn’t it? Some of these guys need to play for a bit of pride, but the ones who need it most are already out. It’s not been good for England, but they’re not out of it yet. It’s going to take something really special from someone tomorrow to swing it, mind.”

MA: “Thanks for joining us for the 2nd day of this 1st Ashes Test match. Joe Root and England are hanging on in this one, and with a good session tomorrow, who knows where they’ll be. Join us then, good night!”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 4 AUGUST 2019

Lunch Day 4

England 2nd innings (F/O) - 214-6, 64.0 overs, J.Bairstow 82, M.Starc 17-7-3-44

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: "We've reached lunch on Day 4 and for the first time in this game, England have their noses in front. They lead by 10 runs with 6 wickets down, but perhaps the fact that they're not trailing is more symbolic than anything. I’m here with David Lloyd and Shane Warne to talk through a number of things in that morning session. Kick us off Bumble!"

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “For me, a word on Joe Root. He was playing a captain’s innings this morning and once again putting good runs on with his pal Jonny Bairstow. Then for the 2nd time in the match he’s got an absolute ripper that he’s lucky to edge. Pat Cummins did him in the first innings, and Mitchell Starc has rolled him over today. It was a belter of a ball and it looked like it might take something like that to get him out in honesty.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “I was going to mention that Ben Stokes LBW. How much has that done off the pitch guys?! With Bairstow sticking around, if he can put on 100, 150 with the tail, those cracks will open even more and who knows? It’s a big ask, but the scene is set for it at least.”

NH: "Stokes was unlucky to go, it was a fraction away from missing the stumps. Let see that wicket and the rest of today's play so far."

NH: "A wicket as we closed in on lunch for Nathan Lyon, Shane?"

SW: “He’ll be pleased with that one as he hasn’t had too much to cheer about this test. Classic off spinners dismissal as well. He’s got one to grip and bounce a little bit and Buttler has just guided it with the spin to Pat Cummins in close. Credit to the big man, it’s a testament to his athleticism that he can field in close as a big fast bowler, not something you see very often. He did well with that chance though as it was pretty close to the floor and it’s easy to come up in your stance too early and miss it.”

DL: “I know what I’d have been saying, get one of them batsmen to do this! Cummins has got to bend his back and get some wickets, he doesn’t want to be crouching down all day! He must be crackers!”

NH: "Looking forward, what do you think will happen this afternoon?"

DL: “The next wicket is crucial. Moeen has shown he can bat on this surface and we all know he’s no mug. If him and Bairstow can get stuck in, they could start to make Australia a bit nervous. We know Joe Burns won’t be batting, or not for a while, so they’re going to be 1 down effectively as soon as they come out to bat. If Australia get a few quick wickets, especially Bairstow, well….Start the car!”

SW: “I agree with David here. Looking at how the ball is beginning to move around, the Stokes LBW and that wicket of Buttler, I wouldn’t like the look of batting last and chasing any kind of target. Australia will be telling themselves they want quick wickets, let’s knock the runs off and we can be in the bar by the tea break.”

NH: “England will be hoping to put the Australian champagne on ice for a while longer yet. Can they do it? Let’s find out with the afternoon’s session. All to play for.”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 4 AUGUST 2019

Afternoon Day 4

England v Australia, Australia lead the series 1-0

England 2nd innings (F/O) - 261, 80.3 overs, J.Bairstow 101, M.Starc 23.3-11-5-50

Australia 2nd innings - 58-1, 7.3 overs, U.Khawaja 33*, S.Broad 3.3-0-1-28

Australia win by 9 wickets

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michal Atherton: “England looked to have given themselves some form of platform to build from at lunch, but any hope of posting a decent total was firmly extinguished. Then the destruction started as Australia romped to a 9 wicket victory. While we wait for the two captains to join us, Geoffrey, Shane, your thoughts?”

M5LS3mp.jpg

Geoffrey Boycott: “Just too easy, really. There needs to be some lads up in that dressing room having a good, hard look at themselves in the mirror. If they thought they were going to come into this one and the jolly up from the summer was going to continue, they just got a rude awakening. This Australia side looks hungry, and England need to buck their ideas up. They’re going to get embarrassed otherwise.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “It was everything Australia needed coming in. They made big runs, and their bowlers have taken 20 wickets without too much fuss. This was as comprehensive as it looked and England will need to find some answers off the back of it. Delighted if you’re Australian, they’ve earned a few days off after this one.”

MA: "Let's take a look at that comical mix up from Bairstow and Curran, and how Australia sealed a big win."

MA: "First off, Tim Paine, Congratulations to you and your team."

U0fiqT9.jpg

Tim Paine: "Thanks Michael. We came into this test with a job to do and credit to my boys, they executed perfectly. Mitchell, Pat, Josh and Nath all bowled great, Marcus as well in that 2nd innings, he was tight when called upon. Anyone who didn’t know about Kurtis Patterson certainly does now! We fielded well, took our chances, it was a complete performance.”

MA: "And heading to Lords next, how do you rate your chances of going 2-0 up?"

TP: “Yeah, we’ll be up for it just like we were here. We’ve got about 10 days to rest up and get prepared. It looks like we might have to make a change with Burnsy struggling, but we’ll look at that one going forward and nobody wants to be involved more than him. We know how Lords can play and what we need to do, so we’ll be 100% focused come the 2nd Test.”

MA: "Thanks Tim and congratulations once again. Joe, can you squeeze in for a few words? Not the start to the series you probably had in mind?"

2L5FkYW.jpg

Joe Root: “No, not at all. It’s never nice to lose but that’s the inevitable flip side when you’re playing sport. Despite some of things said and written coming in, we certainly didn’t take this Australia team lightly and they showed why during this Test match. They have some world-class bowlers, strength with the bat, and they held on to pretty much everything in the field. We’ll go away and analyse this one, work hard, and we’ll be back on it for Lords.”

MA: "What is the mood like in that dressing room? Your top three made 29 runs combined in the 2nd innings, and 21 runs in the 1st innings. Does that force your hand when picking the team for Lords?"

JR: “No, not at all. Just like I said to you at the close of play yesterday, we believe in these guys and we know what they can do. There is a reason they’re England cricketers and representing their country. Every single member of the squad will be giving it their all for the next 10 days to make sure they’re in the best shape possible, physically, mentally, to try and get this series back to 1-1 after we’re done at Lords.”

MA: "Thank you Joe, we always appreciate your time. Geoffrey, you no doubt have plenty to say on this one?"

GB: “Well, what is there to say? You can come out and say all that, but this is international cricket. We’re not here for hugs and pats on the back. If you’re in the team, you need to score runs. You have to take wickets. Otherwise you’re not helping anyone, are you? Doesn’t need me to point that out, just look at the scorecard. Disappointing, certainly.”

SW: “I will say something; I think that England top three has given their bowlers a bit of a get out jail free card here. Everyone will be talking tonight, tomorrow, and the next 10 days about the failure of the top three, but this England bowling attack just got a serious beating. Anderson and Broad were ineffective. Fortunately they both have more than enough credit in the bank to use from past glories, but if some of those bowling figures from the 1st innings belonged to Sam Curran say, people would be calling for him to be replaced.”

GB: “Is it the end of the line for those two? It might be too early to say that but you never know. Father Time catches up with everyone in the end. It’ll be interesting to see how ruthless England are with their team selection at Lords. They’ve often ducked away from making tough decisions, so I’d expect them to stand firm and give these boys another go. We’ll see.”

SW: “After a performance like that, I think Australia would like to stay as is, but they’re not going to have that luxury I don’t think. Joe Burns is looking highly unlikely to be out there for the 2nd Test and I’ve heard word that Matt Renshaw could come in as one option. So long as that bowling unit stays intact, it’s hard to bet against Australia until the England batsmen show they can stand up to what is being sent their way.”

MA: “Much to discuss between now and Lords, that’s for sure. Geoffrey, Shane, thank you for your company this afternoon. England were blown away by Australia here at Edgbaston and the Aussies deserve their 1-0 lead. Can Joe Root’s side answer back? We’ll find out in 10 days' time. Goodbye!”

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
For reference, the 547 I made in the 1st innings is easily the highest score I've managed in the whole time I've owned and played Ashes Cricket, bizarrely. I can't recall a time I've ever passed 500 playing previously, I don't normally have the patience for it. I'm certain I've never had a double hundred either, or probably had a guy go past 150. 268 was also a fairly ridiculous thing to manage in my first game of this story!

All I can think is that due to my own time restrictions, I really was just playing it a session at a time. 30 overs generally takes around an hour, so I'd just try and find myself an hour to play and concentrate for just that session on doing what I could. Certainly worked on this occasion.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 8 AUGUST 2019

yHH4wdx.jpg

Joe Burns, Australia's Most Unfortunate Man

Vic Marks
Thu 8 Aug 2019 09.15 BST

Joe Burns finds himself in an unfortunately familiar position. Time and again during an international career that has contained some dazzling highs, Burns has often found himself out in the cold with Australia’s selectors. At a time when the team’s top order has been mainly in flux, Burns has frequently been denied the ability to provide stability. This time though, the decision was taken out of his hands.

An MRI a week ago confirmed that the 29-year-old had an issue with the lower vertebrae in his back and the news he would be returning to Australia for treatment. This Ashes tour was perhaps Burns’ best and potentially final chance to nail down a long term spot in his nation’s line up. The job of providing a replacement may fall to Matt Renshaw, another in again, out again selection for the national side but at just 23, he has much more time on his side. Now the question remains, with a healthy average and centuries to his name at both First Class as well as Test match level, how did Burns find himself in such a situation? It has been a tough stretch for the Queensland player, and one that provides more questions than answers.

After making his Test debut in the Boxing Day Test of 2014 against India, Burns made scores of 58 and 66 in his 2nd game....and was subsequently dropped. Omitted from the following series against West Indies and the 2016 Ashes, Burns forced his way back into contention against New Zealand in late 2015, scoring 71 and 129. A lean spell followed (as it does for even the best of batsmen) but as part of the tour of New Zealand in early 2016, Burns smashed 170 at Hagley Oval to remind everyone of his undeniable ability. After just 10 matches, his Test match average was approaching 50 and he had the cricketing world at his feet. Two matches later, he was dropped once again.

aaEVHpl.jpg

With previously lauded David Warner and Steve Smith entering a rich vein of form, Adam Voges and Mitch Marsh also held up Burns’ return to the Baggy Greens. Averaging over 41 in his first 12 Tests, he was in the wilderness and looking for a way back in. Another Australian summer began without a sign of reprieve. Voges and Marsh were struggling, but maintained their place on the tour of South Africa in 2016. It wasn’t until Shaun Marsh picked up an injury that Burns was pulled back into the fold.

His return went badly. But it was a collective failure. Australia were skittled for 85 in their first innings on a lively pitch, with Vernon Philander producing a 5-21 performance. The margin of defeat was an innings and 80 runs and scores of 1 and zero were impossible to escape for a man who’d been dropped off the back of 50’s or better. Burns was once again a scapegoat.

To his credit, Burns went away and worked hard. In the 2016/17 Shield season, he was Queensland’s top run scorer, averaging 40.22 with a couple of centuries. The following year he was even better, scoring 725 runs at 55.76, including a double hundred. Was it enough to get the selectors’ attention? It was not.

41XiruH.jpg

Whilst Burns’ sheer volume of runs couldn’t barge open the door back to the Test team, the tiniest slip of sandpaper could. Following the now infamous sacking of Warner, Smith and Bancroft following their antics in South Africa, Burns was once more flown half way round the world for another shot at redemption. His reward, facing Philander, Rabada and Morkel in peak form straight off the plane on another bowler friendly track. To his credit, he made an admirable 42 in the second innings, but Australia received a hiding.

With Smith and co. banished and others struggling to find form, now was Burns’ ultimate time to shine. As a proven commodity batting in the Shield and with a healthy Test average still to his name, Burns should have been treated as a building block with few meaningful options elsewhere. Unsurprisingly, that wasn’t the case. It was nearly a full year until Burns received his latest call to action, delivering his most sparkling innings to date, scoring 180 against Sri-Lanka in Canberra.

With that mighty score, Burns had his opportunity. He was finally at the front of the queue for a shot at an Ashes tour, and he was a hot name on the lips of the Australian public. And now he is once again the odd man out, denied an opportunity in the harshest of ways. No doubt he will come back just as strong, and work hard during the winter in Queensland to earn another opportunity to add to his 17 test caps. Will it matter? You wouldn’t bet on it.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 14 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 2nd Test - Lords, London.

England v Australia, Australia lead 1-0

cxTs0BA.jpg

Jonathan Agnew: “Good morning TMS listeners and welcome to a rather gloomy looking Lords for the 2nd Ashes Test between England and Australia. Joe Root’s side were well beaten at Edgbaston and will be looking to bounce back and give their opponents a much tougher time here in London. I’ve got two men with me who are well versed in Ashes cricket, Graeme Swann and the Chef himself, Alastair Cook.”

ub832Sc.jpg

Graeme Swann “Yes, good morning to you Aggers, and the listeners at home. It is a bit of a gloomy one here but I’m told it’s just a bit of a hazy start. Once we move towards midday the sun should burn off the rest of these clouds and we should be set for a much nicer time of things. You’d imagine that whoever wins the toss will want to bowl, but it’s hard to judge. A batting side could navigate the tricky period up to lunch then prosper once the sun does shine. Lots to think about, what would you do Alastair?”

PBrS3TC.jpg

Alastair Cook: “Morning all, and thanks for having me. Nice to get off the mark in any format, especially TMS appearances! I think you bat, but there’s a lot to consider. Are England truly confident their top order can survive if the conditions are helping the bowlers? It's fine trying to get through to a sunny afternoon session, but if you're 4 or 5 down when it starts that isn't helpful. Would either side want to bat last if they win the toss? Generally not, history tells us. I’d be interested to see if England have made any changes, though it seems clear now that Matt Renshaw is coming in for Australia.”

JA: “Thank you gentlemen. It's an usual looking Lords as renovations continue to the Media Centre, things just don't look the same with the temporary video boards they've erected to cover the space. Anyway, we've got the captains down here with us so lets have a look at the line ups and then we'll have the toss."

JA: “England win the toss and do elect to bat. What do you make of that one chaps?"

GS: “You have to back your side, and no doubt Joe will have been in the dressing room this morning geeing his guys up and making sure they really had themselves locked in for this one. The rest of the country might be doubting this England side but there will be plenty of belief from within the group and clearly they want to go out and show that. An unchanged side from England is brave, though.”

JA: "Disaster! No sooner have we got the players through the famous Long Room, the heavens have opened and the ground staff are scurrying around putting the covers on again! Fortunately we're back up here in the box and not still down by the pitch, though I can't say the same for umpires Chris Gould and Shaun Clifford who were already out in middle! They're very unhappy down there!"

AC: “Does that swing things back in England’s favour? It probably depends what conditions are like when the players finally get out there. I see that the worst kept secret of the last 10 days is out as Renshaw does come in, no surprises. It can be tough coming into a winning team, regardless of the low score that Joe Burns made at Edgbaston. He’s only a young man, but he’ll be hoping he can make an impact once Australia get a chance to bat.”

GS: “I bumped into Geoffrey on the way back up here and he was shaking his head when I asked him about England’s batting, muttering about the slope as he so often does when we’re at Lords. I’m sure our listeners need no reminder about the difference in height from one side of this ground to the other, but Australia’s bowlers will be looking to take advantage of that. Some of the England batsmen looked to really struggle when the ball moved around at Edgbaston, and Lords will probably do even more than that.”

JA: We're getting word that play should start a little after 12 o'clock, giving the ground staff a chance to get the covers off and get us underway. I can already see that it's a lot brighter over the back of the pavilion, so that is good news. It might not be for England though Alastair?

AC: “Absolutely. You see it towards the end of play when a team puts their opponent in, makes them negotiate a tricky 15 overs or so. The bowlers know the session is a short one and they can go full steam and as a batsman it’s hard to really make much progress. Being 20 not out is probably a win for either of these openers come the lunch break, they just need a mind-set of not getting out. Forget about the scoreboard. Just make sure you can be walking back out to the middle at 1:40pm after lunch.”

GS: “Yeah, Australia will be liking this. They can just throw the kitchen sink at England for an hour and see what happens. Based on Edgbaston, they’re going to want three wickets, minimum, you’d imagine. Unfortunately for England fans, there’s more than a remote chance that it could happen given the recent top order form. Some of these players can’t afford another blank, you'd say. If they thought the pressure was ramping up before this Test, it’ll be something else with another couple of low scores. But let’s give them a chance. New day, new game, they have another opportunity with the bat today, but it could be tough.”

JA: "I think we can all agree that it should make for a very interesting though much shorter than promised session of cricket. Well, which way will it go? We’re going to be finding out shortly. I’ll be here at the lunch break with Geoffrey Boycott and Phil Tufnell but until then, let’s see what happens out in the middle.”

TEAMS

ENGLAND
AUSTRALIA
1) Rory Burns​
1) Marcus Harris​
2) Joe Denly​
2) Matt Renshaw​
3) Dawid Malan​
3) Usman Khawaja​
4) Joe Root (C)​
4) Kurtis Patterson​
5) Jonny Bairstow (WK)​