Ashes Cricket General Discussion

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Here is the rub. If they have been working on AO tennis for 3 years it's obvious they have only had 365 days with AC, (given DBC17). AC is obviously the patched/reworked DBC17 with extra licences. DBC14 is still the better game imo all they needed was sliders in DBC14 and work from that and by now we would be in much better shape. The academy and sandbox stuff has brilliant intentions but seems overreach as the core gameplay is effected with the logo/user created stuff having an impact on experience.... Or is it a placebo. Not sure we will ever know

I agree that DBC 14 with sliders, especially the 'Ball Marker Display Time' one, would be better than DBC 17 and Ashes cricket. It was fun to bat in DBC 14 where you could actually play off the back foot and it felt so good to nail a back foot drive or a back foot glance for a 4. Online experience in DBC 14 was much better as well and all it needed were a few tweaks and adjustments for it to be the perfect cricket game.

In short, DBC 14 nailed the essence of cricket. Scoring runs was a challenge and a milestone felt earned especially on harder difficulties such as Legend. Catching was fun too with you pointing RS in the right direction to catch the ball and the fielders actually dropped catches in the game.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Can someone tell me how the CPU declare? I was bowling to AUS they were on 552-7 after 152.2 overs then it just went to the scoreboard cut scene and next thing my batsmen are walking out but on the scoreboards it doesn't say "552-7 dec" just says "552-7"...I'm guessing they declared, it is day 2 few overs before tea I believe.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Any way of refreshing the game to stock level without needing to download 11 GB again?

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
How you get leave the ball animation... I tried by moving right stick every angle, but not got that animation...

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Any way of refreshing the game to stock level without needing to download 11 GB again?

Not sure on steam sorry. Is there a possibility to delete data within steam without uninstalling the whole game?

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Yes I agree re the lack of the pitch deteriorating. As my post on the previous page Australia hit 445 in their second innings which was the 4th and final one.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I know you what mean, but I'd at least say it's nice that all games have been released as proper games and not just sold as 'early access'. Honestly I think they've been a victim of their own success since releasing DBC 14, that had flaws but didn't have the issues the subsequent games had. DBC 17 felt like a case of the ambition to improve and expand resulted in a lot of disappointments in terms of the simple stuff. Then with Ashes aspects of it seem rushed, possibly to do with the license and the desire/need to get the game out at a certain date.

There are things I think with broader, more thorough beta testing would have been picked up. That's not a slight on the testers or BA, but there are things that I can't believe would have been missed (and I can quite accept that they were spotted but not fixed) with more time or more focussed testing. I don't know how focussed it was, if fully testing the game in multiple formats, multiple difficulties was done or if it was just a case of 'here's the game give us your feedback. That AI field settings in limited overs need work can be seen by playing two matches. I can live with bugs being present and being missed but it's things like that which are frustrating.

For dbc14 I often used to say the game was like making out with a stunning lingerie model and then suddenly realising she's got a bigger Adam's apple than you... in today's world that may be considered "transphobic"* so let's say it's like eating a sublime meal and suddenly finding there was a worm in it... all 3 games have been identical in that respect, they've just had different worms.

Yesterday I had a fantastic moment in a tough chase. Having recovered from a jittery start chasing 438 I'd posted a 100+ 5th wicket partnership, when there was a huge shout for lbw that I thought looked stone dead, given not out. No reviews in my format but I went to ball tracking, hit just inside the line and taking out middle and off. Checked the replay, and I've been saved by a thin edge off the inside bottom corner of the bat... phew. What a moment, what a game.

That player, in the 60s or 70s at the time went on to make an unbeaten 228* and take me to a tense 1 wicket win. Amazing.

Except... the 4th inns bowling AI is utterly broken. They change the field much more often than than first 3 inns, often every ball. Worse, they don't attack even with 438 on the ball. Worse, they start attacking when your batsman passes 25 and keep attacking when he's passed 200 and there's 30 to win. He was facing a more aggressive field when 130-odd than a batsman who'd just come to the crease after the fall of a wicket. And batting is definitely much much easier - sure it was a favourable batting track and I certainly got some edges (including the one that saved my lbw!) but you never felt there was one with your name on it like in 14 and 17. It was a sense of concentrate, accumulate, and you'll chase this down. (I was 9 down in part thanks to 2 stupid run outs, and other mistakes like playing back to a full ball and getting castled, and deciding a first ball slog made a lot of sense.)

I've been banging on about the broken 4th innings AI since dbc17 and all through the beta. As @Dutch said there is little or nothing people are bringung up that wasnt discussed or flagged in beta, often at great length.

*2014 - simpler time.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I agree that DBC 14 with sliders, especially the 'Ball Marker Display Time' one, would be better than DBC 17 and Ashes cricket. It was fun to bat in DBC 14 where you could actually play off the back foot and it felt so good to nail a back foot drive or a back foot glance for a 4. Online experience in DBC 14 was much better as well and all it needed were a few tweaks and adjustments for it to be the perfect cricket game.

In short, DBC 14 nailed the essence of cricket. Scoring runs was a challenge and a milestone felt earned especially on harder difficulties such as Legend. Catching was fun too with you pointing RS in the right direction to catch the ball and the fielders actually dropped catches in the game.

I got some video of some amazing no trigger backfoot drives - one dead straight, one through mid wicket. I'll upload over the weekend. Backfoot play could have little more oomph but in general it rewards you for picking the right ones.

Dbc14 didn't punish playing off the wrong foot enough, and there were huge issues around AI edging that "sliders" wouldn't have fixed.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Except... the 4th inns bowling AI is utterly broken. They change the field much more often than than first 3 inns, often every ball. Worse, they don't attack even with 438 on the ball. Worse, they start attacking when your batsman passes 25 and keep attacking when he's passed 200 and there's 30 to win. He was facing a more aggressive field when 130-odd than a batsman who'd just come to the crease after the fall of a wicket. And batting is definitely much much easier - sure it was a favourable batting track and I certainly got some edges (including the one that saved my lbw!) but you never felt there was one with your name on it like in 14 and 17. It was a sense of concentrate, accumulate, and you'll chase this down. (I was 9 down in part thanks to 2 stupid run outs, and other mistakes like playing back to a full ball and getting castled, and deciding a first ball slog made a lot of sense.)

I've been banging on about the broken 4th innings AI since dbc17 and all through the beta. As @Dutch said there is little or nothing people are bringung up that wasnt discussed or flagged in beta, often at great length.
Sounds like the AI captain might have been Joe Root-ed ;)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I have always said this, you just have to look at the games that came before Big Ant came onto the scene. Some were 'fun' but in all honesty in my opinion Big Ant have produced cricket titles that are light years ahead of the others
And thats the issue mainly because this series from BA has raised our expectations from say 25 to 80 at one stretch...Its too good for cricket lovers like us to be true...We started discussing stuff in a cricket GAME that we wouldnt have even imagined..The standard is too big and that also makes it crucial as to which content to concentrate on, that too I feel is for both players and BA...

D

Deleted member 185125

I have my bowling speed at 80 and I'm far, far happier with the gameplay I get than most people here seem to be.
The gameplay looks better at 80 and not much difference in how AI plays (though some of starc's Yorker seems unplayable by AI). Wish there was an option to disable the speed indicator.

Also I managed to get the spinner ball speed by increasing the Spin Bounce to 70 and reducing Spin flight to 30. Spin bowling feels even better with Spin revolutions set to 60.

With pitch bounce set to 60, I'm getting no balls called for height. This has helped to even out the unfair advantage I was getting while bowling bouncers to AI.

Happy so far with these changes, gonna test more on the weekends.

Note: I have only done Bowling with these modifiers, not sure how does this impact batting though.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
For dbc14 I often used to say the game was like making out with a stunning lingerie model and then suddenly realising she's got a bigger Adam's apple than you... in today's world that may be considered "transphobic"* so let's say it's like eating a sublime meal and suddenly finding there was a worm in it... all 3 games have been identical in that respect, they've just had different worms.

*2014 - simpler time.

That's the thing it was a time when cricket fans didn't think we would ever get a decent cricket game again. First the debacle around ac 13 or whatever it was called, then comes along a new game franchise that got right what most people considered wrong about games before it, now add the nostalgia of the 3/4 years ago and you can start to understand people's scepticism towards ashes cricket.

I look at it in this way... If dbc 14, dbc 17, and ashes cricket were all released yesterday at the same time, I know what order I'd choose... 1. Ashes cricket 2. Dbc 17 3. Dbc 14.

For me every game has improved markedly over the previous and I'll back the guys in at BA to deliver again if we do get another game.

But gotta admit I'm getting a bit over this waiting around for patches to fix things, I find I'm more inclined to wait for it to release before sinking any time I have into it just in case it changes or breaks anything, I've definitely decided I won't be buying any game on release day without doing some research first...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I got some video of some amazing no trigger backfoot drives - one dead straight, one through mid wicket. I'll upload over the weekend. Backfoot play could have little more oomph but in general it rewards you for picking the right ones.

Dbc14 didn't punish playing off the wrong foot enough, and there were huge issues around AI edging that "sliders" wouldn't have fixed.

You can play an odd backfoot shot, especially the one through Point but it is rare. On the whole batting off the backfoot is quite under-powered and feels nerfed. I'm not saying DBC 14 was perfect and didn't have its issues but to me it was the closest to being the perfect cricket game, and in fact if DBC 14 base was carried over for the other iterations, we would be in a far better position.

Some of the nuances DBC 14 captured so well - difference in difficulties (from Amateur to Legend), batting, changing length via RS, catching using RS and dropped catches, career mode with correct stats and reward for better performance (you skilled more after better performances) - etc. were spot on. I still don't understand how we could've taken a step or two back in some or most of these areas despite two more iterations of the game since DBC 14. I simply don't see enough progress for the franchise since DBC 14 days and that's frustrating to see as a cricket gaming fan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread