CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
How to bring Test cricket back to life?
And how to reduce home domination of teams?
@Kumbis

How to bring Test cricket back to life?

9140888-3x2-700x467.jpg

DAY/ NIGHT MATCHES

Day/Night Test matches will bring more people to the ground.

915bebbbdc24f6b51f250a9e730117e6

NEW VENUES

New Venues will bring more people and players.

1508746393.jpg

ICC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Test Cricket need a world cup for future survival.

c89339fb0c02a8d63cef8a52343e7b76.jpg

TEST LEAGUES

Test leagues will bring more global viewership.

719394-rishabh-pant.jpg

YOUNG TALENTS

New players whose age is low, they should be taken in the Test team.

How to reduce home domination of teams?

2018-08-21T142740Z_280565400_RC15CC741220_RTRMADP_3_CRICKET-TEST-ENG-IND_0.png

Reduction will bring problems. ICC need to introduce rules, unless this domination will further increase.​

Last edited:

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
For Test Cricket to grow ,these three things should be introduced :-

Day Night Match

Standardised Ball

Test Cricket League

DAY NIGHT MATCH

It would result in increase in viewership from the visiting team's countries.

STANDARDISED BALL

This is the most important thing. Right now in test cricket, three balls are used:-

The Kookaburra in Australia

The Dukes in England

The SG Ball in India

In order to promote test cricket, all countries should use a standardised Ball,which would be voted by the 12 full member nations

Test Championship

We have seen how the UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE has brought life into Football. Earlier it used to meaningless friendlies,but now every thing is a competitive fixture with relegation and promotion. ICC should do so with test cricket.

Championship 1 - 2020-2021

League A - Top 6 teams divide into 2 groups of 3 according to their rankings.

League B - Bottom 6 into 2 groups of 3 a according to rankings

Associate - Top 6 associate nations in a single league extending Upto 2 years.

:goldo:Each team will play the other team twice in :local: and :os: leg
:bro:The top team from each group will get :up:. to The playoffs while the bottom team will get:down: to relegation playoffs
:blueo: In the league stage, each team will play the twice in a 3 match series.
:purpo:In the playoffs however,it will be a 4 match series both :local: and :os:.
:redo:Whoever accounts more wins will have more points.
Ex:- Team A wins the series at home versus Team B by 2-1.
Team B wins the series at Home versus Team A by 2-0.
So points in Team A - 2,Team B -3

Away victories count more than normal home victories so incase of a tie, the team will away victory will win

BONUS POINTS( optional)
10 wickets - 5 points
300 runs - 5points
400 or greater - 7 points.[DOUBLEPOST=1543124864][/DOUBLEPOST]To reduce home dominance ,just let touring side decide whether they would bat or bowl first, and to standardise pitches i.e not make rank turner's neither green mambas nor a flat pancake

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
To bring test cricket back to life I think you have to accept it's reduced importance to make it more important. I think the women's Ashes is a great example of how all formats can be used to create ongoing interest in a series. Even if I'm not watching every match I can still keep track of the series because of the points system. I agree with @Quadralus in the sense that almost all international cricket has no actual relevance. Not all bilateral series are the Ashes so they won't create interest on a wider level. You need that genuine goal, some stakes, that teams can strive towards.

I'd just have a single World Championship with points scored for series victories and each series having the points system to determine the winner. It's not just the best test nation or the best ODI nation - it's finding out who is the best cricketing nation.

I'd split the test teams into two groups; have them play home and away over three years starting after a World Cup. Each series would consist of minimum 1 test, 3 ODI, 1 T20; maximum 5 test, 5 ODI, 3 T20. If they want to play more matches or other series they can but they don't count towards to the World Championship. In the fourth year the top side from each group play a home and away series to determine the winner.

GROUP A: India, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland
GROUP B: England, South Africa, Australia, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe

Below that I'd have a similar format with the best associates, maybe based around regions, and include some A sides in it too.

The big issue with home advantage is that teams just don't prepare in the conditions. Nowadays they play one or two games with about 15 players so it's basically an onfield net. Often they play will be weakened sides too. I doubt we'll go back to the days of full tours where they play multiple matches before and in between so why not have the ICC encourage the test teams to play a competitive 3 or 4 day game against associates in preparation. If there's not an easily accessible side (like Scotland if a team tours England) then just fly a team in. It'd give the associates greater exposure too.

I also think that in general the standard has either improved or the gap between best and mid-level teams has reduced. There are 5 or 6 teams (India, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Pakistan) at a similar level, or at least have bowling attacks that can perform in any conditions. At home they are going to be stronger. But I don't think that away sides aren't competing; NZ won in the UAE, England won in Sri Lanka, India were competitive in the summer in England and Pakistan drew.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I've said it before. Eliminating the toss and giving opportunity to the visiting side will almost end home domination.

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I've said it before. Eliminating the toss and giving opportunity to the visiting side will almost end home domination.
I don't think removing the toss is a good idea. Look at what happened when India cam to Australia, the toss dictated the game, if India just chose every time then they would have won 4 -0. What about when countries go to similar countries like when India tour Pakistan or Bangladesh tour Sri Lanka.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Simple : talk to the selectors and ask the board to tell them to communicate better.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
This is why I want more A team cricket being played. A guy doesn't do so well at the top level? Hey, we're still going to let you play international cricket but at a slightly lower level, just so you can get back to form.

Players themselves should not be ashamed to be dropped. You were dropped for a reason. Most times it's because you're not performing. You shouldn't need the selectors to see that.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I think the team captain and coach should be automatically on the selection panel no matter what. That's not always the case. That way everyone is responsible.[DOUBLEPOST=1549033488][/DOUBLEPOST]I also think that the head coach should have the veto power.

Manish.

Staff Member
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Time to revive the thread as suggested by @qpeedore

Please put your views forward on:

Lack of communication from the selectors
@Ashutosh. @Quadralus @qpeedore @Perfect Square @Rebel2k19 @SaiSrini @Manish. @El Loco @PresidentEvil @Kaptaan @DrewBi @sawsibk @Salman.

Players who claimed this:
Imrul Kayes
Karun Nair
Murali Vijay
Nathan Coulter Nile
Ashton Agar
and more.....

@Manish. And @Naman Thakur
Pls comment on the topic.

I just speak about India , at a point of time i believed national team selection was based on captain quota. I believe that situation has changed now. In particular we don't know what there strategies are. In front of media they defend.

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I don't know much about it.It depends upon the administration of the board.I believe the top to bottom approach should work.

Main selector

Subordinate selector

A teams selector

State Selector

District Selector

A proper system may help good communication between the selectors and players. Similar to ancient times , A lower ranked person will report to higher ranked person about the form or status of a player.In case of constant neglection,The player can complain to the BCCI committee.

Users who are viewing this thread