ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Luck played a big part in this WC along with Bad umpiring.

So
Ben Stokes (NZ)
Eoin Morgan (IRE)
Jason Roy (SA)
Jofra Archer (WI)
Tom Curran (SA)

Who voted that 1 vote to New Zealand in the poll above? You were about to win :)

I got to ask you this guys. How many of u felt the ICC rule of "Deciding a match winner with the help of boundaries when a super-over is tied" is absolutely unfair??

Super unfair, just as run-rate rule is. The final should have gone into second super over.

If anyone cares what I think, I'm still trying to process what I saw today, so I need to get it out somewhere.

I never thought I'd see something as good as the 1999 semi final, which I was lucky to be at, but that game today surpassed it by some distance. It was bonkers. New Zealand did everything right, Williamson's captaincy was superb, and were it not for the most fortuitous deflection off Stokes' bat we might be congratulating New Zealand. And they would have been deserved winners. I don't know if that moment cost New Zealand the victory, Ben Stokes has it in him to have got another boundary, but it turned the game on its head. Stokes is a champion, as is Buttler, I've always thought the thing that puts England aside is the six match winners in the top six and I always felt that if they made it to the last ten we had a chance. I was a complete bag of nerves by the end of it.

There are other things besides that deflection, Boult stepping on the boundary, Taylor not having a review available. NZ didn't quite have the luck. Had the rules been different they might have won and but both teams deserved to take the trophy home. It's a shame only one could. We'll be seeing plenty of retellings of this game for many, many, many years to come during lunch breaks.

Don't know quite how I feel about the super over finish, it was very exciting, but in ODI cricket it feels a bit too random. I still leapt off my sofa and roared when Buttler completed the run out. I doubt it'll change after the spectacle today but maybe a super powerplay of three overs would be fairer. Or even judging it on wickets lost like they did in the past. Even part of me feels sharing the trophy would be the fairest way to do it if they can't be separated after 50 overs and a super over. Anyway, those are probably debates for another time. I'm sure there have been more exciting finishes (I can't think of any) but none on this stage. It was remarkable.
The fact that it was 241/8 to 241/10 should have perhaps meant something too!

I hope ICC change the rule. The 4 extra runs shouldn't have been given. You gotta feel for NZ.
If that 4 hasn't given then there would be no question of Super-Over and all this bashing to ICC. Like you said, atleast now ICC should change these rules.

Luck played a big part in this WC along with Bad umpiring.

So
Ben Stokes (NZ)
Eoin Morgan (IRE)
Jason Roy (SA)
Jofra Archer (WI)
Tom Curran (SA)

What point are you even trying to make here?[DOUBLEPOST=1563184255][/DOUBLEPOST]I don’t know why people are crying about the rules tbh. If the same happened to New Zealand with the deflection of the bat it would be given the same. We got the luck yesterday, NZ didn’t.

Who cares about the technicalities of the rules, like yeah okay they weren't meant to get 1 run but thats just how it goes...it was just our day you could come up with a number of things, maybe the Santner shouldn't be ducking the last ball of the innings, he could have got one run for them....

Everyone knew the rules before the match. It's ridiculous to complain about them. Take New Zealand's example, congratulate the deserving winners and move on.
However this doesn't mean that the rules aren't flawed. It's like the Wimbledon final yesterday was decided on who had more aces. Or the Champions League final on who had the most shots on target.
In my opinion, when something like this happens, there should be another Super Over, and if that's tied too, another one. The odds of more than one tie are extremely low.

Everyone knew the rules before the match. It's ridiculous to complain about them. Take New Zealand's example, congratulate the deserving winners and move on.
However this doesn't mean that the rules aren't flawed. It's like the Wimbledon final yesterday was decided on who had more aces. Or the Champions League final on who had the most shots on target.
In my opinion, when something like this happens, there should be another Super Over, and if that's tied too, another one. The odds of more than one tie are extremely low.
I don’t know why people are crying about the rules tbh
But https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...judgement-awarding-six-runs-says-simon-taufel
1 extra, precious run that could've given New Zealand the Worldcup. Rules are rules.
What point are you even trying to make here?
Just pointing out the diversity

Users who are viewing this thread