Planet Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Its great to see you back though Dave! Hopefully you will find enough to stick around. We didnt always agree but I loved your passion and depth.

Thank you. I've been dipping into the forum now and again - but haven't seen much motivation to post. but i saw @RUDI's mention of me in my alerts and that got me to read the thread. thought i'd drop in my two pennies.

i've been absurdly busy over the last few months - not played ashes at all, which again removes another motivation to post.

this is a great forum at it's best.

D

Deleted member 202729

Is it dead?
Was it great in the past?
What does it need?
Just part of life that it is not well visited?

Discuss......
Not surprised all forums are dying
Trolling & multis are a by-product of moderators and their moderation tactics to be precise
Looking at the amount of trolling that has been rising constant since 2017 shows how the system in general is failing even Reddit has made moderators obsolete

The vicious cycle call it, people on forums are banned for stupid reasons and people on the internet do not behave like angels with or without an alias
So what some mods call trolling is typical behaviour for standard social platforms and nobody will sign up to anything, give social commentary to have a moderator dictate terms to them
What is the goal of the forum? Have everyone behave like high Victorian socialites, be nice say pleasant things... well not saying be horrible to others at the same time believe the mods are being unrealistic
Why are people trolling regular users and even multis? They want to ruffle some feathers nine times out of ten the mods stop it, reducing a forum back to this pseudo world with no personality

I believe all forums need to adapt, again a problem they never seem to change or refuse to...

D

Deleted member 202729

Nah what you seem saying is people don't like having to act in a specific way. So should just be allowed to do as they please.
A combination of overbearing moderators not all seen some good ones vs trolling and multis is how forums have came to this current state, no new users and numbers falling
At the same time not meant as inflammatory either observation more than anything, I didn't use the word "let"

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I have a slightly different opinion. I don't think it's the fault of the mods at all, I think it's increased competition with Discord, particularily with my age group of under-25s. I know of some really big Discords about cricket (such as r/cricket's discord) which while there are some people there who I'd rather not have here, there's also some really smart people here. How does PC compete? I'm not sure. Maybe make more of our drafts and leagues in advertising as that's someting Discords don't offer...

Edit to clarify: I think this affects all forums not just PC

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Forums were a product of pre social media era.

Forums now have acquired a cult culture. Most of the people who are active in forums are mostly 80s 90s kids or at max early 2000s kids.

All the further guys have opted for social media with rise of Facebook Instagram Twitter etc.

Internet has just evolved.
Relax.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not surprised all forums are dying
Trolling & multis are a by-product of moderators and their moderation tactics to be precise
Looking at the amount of trolling that has been rising constant since 2017 shows how the system in general is failing even Reddit has made moderators obsolete

The vicious cycle call it, people on forums are banned for stupid reasons and people on the internet do not behave like angels with or without an alias
So what some mods call trolling is typical behaviour for standard social platforms and nobody will sign up to anything, give social commentary to have a moderator dictate terms to them
What is the goal of the forum? Have everyone behave like high Victorian socialites, be nice say pleasant things... well not saying be horrible to others at the same time believe the mods are being unrealistic
Why are people trolling regular users and even multis? They want to ruffle some feathers nine times out of ten the mods stop it, reducing a forum back to this pseudo world with no personality

I believe all forums need to adapt, again a problem they never seem to change or refuse to...
What I believe is that the mods are doing a very good job of keeping the forums clean. I've seen other forums where people tend to take the 'make yourself at home' point too seriously that led to a good potential site falling apart.

One of the things I appreciate about this site is the clean, clear and adoptable set of rules. No rules, and downfall starts.

D

Deleted member 202729

What I believe is that the mods are doing a very good job of keeping the forums clean. I've seen other forums where people tend to take the 'make yourself at home' point too seriously that led to a good potential site falling apart.

One of the things I appreciate about this site is the clean, clear and adoptable set of rules. No rules, and downfall starts.
I didn't say that

I'm stating animosity is created by bans

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I didn't say that

I'm stating animosity is created by bans
I think you didn't get me. Members are banned taking into acvount the severity of the case. Obviously, bans are directly related to rule breaking. And the way you suggested about the mods and the moderation actions (like bans), you do seem to question the 'rule' itself.

I understand what you meant. But being lenient lies at the discretion of staff handling the issue. And at present, it does look like most of the actions of mods have been fair. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread