Don't expect changes for 1st Ashes Test

Article by Sylvester -

Since the announcement of the 17 man Ashes squad, a number of writers have got their hopes up including former players Brendon Julian and Mark Waugh. The usual speculation about replacing Michael Hussey, Marcus North and Nathan Hauritz have been the main talking points from the extended squad.

I wish I shared the same optimism as the writers and maybe they like me know deep down there won’t be changes and are only writing these articles to sell the papers. Having gone through numerous periods where the selectors could have dumped North and Hussey, I would be very surprised to see them changing their tune.

Since returning to West Australia, North scored a century against South Australia in the Sheffield Shield and 94 against Victoria in the Ryobi One-Day Cup. Now using our selector’s criteria, it would be a huge shock if they dropped North. When North returned to West Australia last season after a very average display against Pakistan and West Indies, he ended up with a even more dreadful 102 runs at an average of 12.75 from 4 matches. He still made the cut to New Zealand and did his trademark career saving hundred. This is the mess the selector’s have got themselves into, if they drop North for the 1st Ashes Test then essentially they have told the world that if you perform in Shield cricket you will get dropped but if you fail you will still get picked.

Michael Hussey is in worst form of the ‘collapso’ pair, he has gone 7 matches without a hundred and 7 innings without a fifty. His only match for WA resulted in a duck and 3. While Ricky Ponting was given the luxury of playing Sheffield Shield cricket for Tasmania hence missing the 3rd ODI, Hussey was left in the ODI side to play Sri Lanka. Just another one of the selector’s crazy logic. They denied Hussey a chance to prove himself against the English. Hussey made 71 in the first ODI, but even during this form slump in Test cricket his ODI form has always been very good. The knock really doesn’t answer any questions regarding Hussey spot and he will only have played two first class matches before the Ashes. Hussey has a few more brownie points compared to North but they will be all used up when Hussey is named in the Ashes starting 11. Of the collapso pair, Hussey is the one under most pressure but even two ducks in WA game against Victoria would still see him picked given North did similar last year and made the cut.

Nathan Hauritz is the other contender under threat. Ricky Ponting is clearly unhappy with Hauritz’s style and told him to bowl more like Harbhajan which resulted in Hauritz being taken to all parts of the ground. He left India with 6 wickets at 65 with an economy of 4.3. The last part was the worry, Hauritz was picked for his tight bowling, he ended up leaking as much runs as Johnson did. Hauritz’s return to Australia brought about a smacking from David Hussey and newcomer Michael Hill. He returned in the second innings with both their wickets and probably enough to save his spot. Hauritz is the most under threat of the trio but unless the selectors decide to go with an all seam attack, it would be very surprising to see another spinner taking his spot. If that were to happen you would think that would spell the end for Hauritz’s turbulent career.

The other player whose head has been called for by the media is Mitchell Johnson. He is one of those annoying bowlers for his critics. He is wayward, can leak runs at a rate of knots and picks up cheap wickets. These cheap wickets have become his trademark to the extent where we now celebrate them. The hardest thing for the Johnson critics is the stats won’t back you up. In the Ashes where the critics were at their peak, he ended up with 20 wickets at 32.6, certainly not stats you could use to drop him. Then in a similarly poor series in India he ended up with 8 wickets at 32.6 again not stats you could use to drop him. He played in the ODI series where he returned with 1 wicket at 128. Now there is stats you could use to drop him however this was a ODI series not a Test one. The selectors have had chances to drop Johnson but he has avoided the chop and I don’t expect that to change come the first Ashes test.

So that is the 4 players most under pressure to keep their spot. Hauritz remains the one under most threat but from a seamer rather than a spinner. I hope I am proved wrong and changes are made in particular to the middle order but I have come to know how the selectors think and this would be out of character for them to drop anyone. The 17 man squad is nothing more than the selectors fulfilling their objective to Cricket Australia’s marketing campaign while also easing the pressure on them by not picking the wrong backups before a full round of Sheffield Shield matches and Australia A fixture.

More...

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I think the critics of North, Hussey and Hauritz can at least take heart that such a big squad was named. None of those 3 have injury issues, so there wasn't a need to name shadows - yet there they are. If those 3 incumbents weren't a chance of being dropped, I don't think Doherty and at least one of Usman and Ferguson get named.

At least it gives the selectors some options. It's just a matter of how much failure will be required to drop them. I think if all 3 play badly for the next Shield game AND the first 2 Tests, then I'd guess they all get dropped. Maybe the rope is shorter than that and one more Shield failure will do it. We'll have to wait and see.

For me, if Hussey fails for WA - I'd ditch him. Give North and Hauritz the first couple of Tests to see how they go.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Khawaja and Ferguson have been named as backup for Katich and Clarke, the selectors just didn't mention it to keep the media happy that they were still "considering" their starting 11 but it's all but locked in already. Doherty was the interesting one but still essentially a smoke screen for the selectors pleasing the media by indicating Hauritz is under pressure but really hes locked in the for the Gabba match. Until they actually do the walk and not just the talk I won't be convinced this is anything more than a media pleaser.

Blues

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Doherty has a very average first class record. I'm certain he's just been picked to let Hauritz know that he needs to bowl well to keep his spot.

Same goes for the extra batsmen named, gives Usman and Fergie a bit of incentive to know they are being considered and makes the guys already there understand they need to bat well.

In the end however I can't see any changes for the first test and unless that ends in disaster probably not the 2nd test either

Blues

School Cricketer
I'm happy to keep Hussey. He has gone through this sort of period before. He should certainly be kept ahead of Marcus North.

Hussey was strong last summer (although against a weak Pakistan side) and I'd keep him in there for the first two tests at least. He has proven ability to bat with the lower order and stabilise when the top order has failed

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Khawaja and Ferguson have been named as backup for Katich and Clarke, the selectors just didn't mention it to keep the media happy that they were still "considering" their starting 11 but it's all but locked in already.

Not sure I'd buy that spin, because you'd think Hughes would be the standby player for Katich.

Australia poised to drop Mike Hussey for new batting gun Usman Khawaja | Courier Mail

Interesting if their mail is true however given both youngsters pressing for his spot just failed it looks like we won't ever know.

I'd support that move wholeheartedly...but unfortunately we can't get any of the young fellas some runs with Usman and Ferguson both out cheaply today :(. If no ones stands up, Hussey might get to keep that spot.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not sure I'd buy that spin, because you'd think Hughes would be the standby player for Katich.

Was pretty much stated by Hilditch that his form wasn't good enough to warrant selection. Khawaja is the backup opener.

Hussey out for the first of the ducks, lets see what the selectors do.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Was pretty much stated by Hilditch that his form wasn't good enough to warrant selection. Khawaja is the backup opener.

Hussey out for the first of the ducks, lets see what the selectors do.

The most crazy thing about that mail article is that they say Siddle is poised to replace Bollinger as the 3rd seamer. Like WTFFF:facepalm:facepalm

Lets not even talk about the idea of Khawaja being the backup opener, JESUSSSSS....what kind of dumb ass selection panel is this...

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I wouldn't pick Hughes the way he's playing.

Yeah I wouldn't either. No runs on the board, and particularly because of the way he struggled in England last series and his recent short run of bad form in county cricket. The Poms would be very happy to see Hughes in a test XI I'd guess.

Khawaja is the backup opener.

Didn't really think of that :facepalm Given the fairly lazy footwork to spin that I saw from Usman the other day, maybe he'd be better off playing as an opener. I think Swann would fancy his chances against Usman.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Opener or 3 is probably his best position. He has back to back double centuries for NSW 2nd XI as an opener and played there throughout grade and 2nd XI. Speaking of which he probably could have opened in the Aus A game, just depended if the selectors wanted Cowan or Bailey or some other middle order player, obviously went with the former.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Opener or 3 is probably his best position. He has back to back double centuries for NSW 2nd XI as an opener and played there throughout grade and 2nd XI. Speaking of which he probably could have opened in the Aus A game, just depended if the selectors wanted Cowan or Bailey or some other middle order player, obviously went with the former.

Well i guess its slightly calming to hear that he has opened in some form of cricket. But all his runs that has got him into contention for an AUS spot has come from batting in the middle-order. So lets say Kat where to be ruled out of the 1st test due to his finger probs again, i'm not too sure if throwing Khawaja to open in pressure opening Ashes test would be the right way to go.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well they did it with Watson and Katich before that and also Langer before that so its not uncommon for the selectors to do so and the move actually coming off. The difference is Khawaja actually is an opener, only reason he isn't opener is because NSW have too many openers.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well they did it with Watson and Katich before that and also Langer before that so its not uncommon for the selectors to do so and the move actually coming off. The difference is Khawaja actually is an opener, only reason he isn't opener is because NSW have too many openers.

Oh i see. Well i apologise to the selectors for once, since i was always under the impression he was middle-order bat by trade.

Users who are viewing this thread