Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

Blinder

Banned
Online Cricket Games Owned

holy-grail.jpg

Chief

Panel of Selectors
"Longevity ? 50. A planned 2011 World Cup release suggests that Codies don?t see this as being high either."

Out of curiosity, where did that come from? Dare I say "Citation required"?

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I was just going through this particular web page The complete guide to cricket field settings | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips , here they have mentioned about how a captain should plan a field and ask the bowler to bowl according to the field. Here you have different types of bowlers bowling at different stages of the match and in different conditions. When you choose a particular field type, they tell you where to ball , where not to bowl and how to bat against the field. So if any game can capture this , it will be the most realistic game ever, where you see proper field sets and proper mode of dismissals. This is how it can be implemented, bowling team ( be it AI or human) gets to choose a fielding plan and will try to bowl according to the plan. When a human player chooses the field, hints should be provided about where to ball, the variations he can try and where not to ball. When the bowler misses the target, it should land in the where not to ball zone ,thereby making it easy for the batsman to hit it. Also when human players bat against a plan, hints should be provided how to bat against the field. Hints can be taken out at higher difficulties making the game more challenging. In short the game should require you to choose a field, bowl accordingly to a plan and when you bat against it , bat accordingly to a plan. When a bowler misses the plan will leaks runs and when batsman misses the plan gets out. When the plan doesn't work, AI captain should be more patient in a test match but should act more proactively in a T20 match switching to a different plan. This should be the main priority in the game with others features and customization being secondary.

Thanks and Regards,
Raymond.

I agree, I think this is a really important thing to add. one of the things about cricket I find is that the intricacies of the tactics get ignored because the rules are quite complex.

ultimately there's more to it than the standard cricket game tactic of conditions suiting certain bowlers, most of the time it's just, green top = seams loads, dusty = spins loads. specific bowling plans to specific fields would improve the experience all round, it would let bowlers feel they were executing something a little more complicated than simply throwing down the ball as fast as they can (or with as much spin) and every now and again mixing it up to surprise a batsman and batsmen would be able to have an insight into the bowling plan.

In the next iteration I'd like to see a much more serious tutorial setup, that went through various fields and what field positions were in for. it's all very well to give you the option of a silly point fielder and the like, but without actually knowing what sort of delivery he's going to come into play for it's a bit pointless. I think the batting system relies far too much on (extensive) trial and error to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

you know what else I'd like, I'd like my 50s and 100s to be able to be stored. ideally I'd also like a replay save function where if you made a 50 you got a brief highlight reel of your 4s and that, along with the big wheel and scorecard, could be saved so you could retrospectively review your career and look back at your best knocks in a bit of detail.

two seasons in and I'm still dreaming of making another 50, I'd like it to be able to see it in a more significant form than "50s 1" in the stats page.

Last edited:

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Better competition, I won t20 wc on pro and it never felt like I was playing a worldcup.
There's your problem. It's the middle difficulty. How about you bump it up for a challenge?
Oh, you were probably talking about the "feel" of the competition. I think better commentary and an option to choose the team (I think coming in the next patch) will definitely help it.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I would like BA to concentrate on the on the field chat than the commentary in the next iteration...

Like:

1.)When spinner turns the ball well and gets beaten:

Oh.Superb bowling mate

Well bowled [Nickname of the player used by WK]

Oh hoho awesome man

2.)When too close to the stumps for the spinner:

Ooooooh too close mate come get him..

3.)When spinner goes for continuous boundaries:

Captain coming in for a chat and suggesting a line to bowl..Maybe the weakness for the batsman..And some encouragement by the fielders as well..

4.)Environment like on the field:

Fielders shouting : COME ON GUYS..

Bowling mate [by fielders]

Fielders tapping hands when a fielder fields well or dives for catches or for fielding [Encouragement on the field]

Encouragement by fielders to the bowler when he goes for more runs like: Its ok, Come on you can do this..

5.)Captain Discussion with bowler about the strategy:

I want you to contain in this over

Come on mate we need a wicket in this over

Try bowling wide yorkers to him

Bowl slower balls mate

Need to break this partnership now.

6.)Asking for suggestions from the captain as to what type of deliveries to bowl to specific batsman:

What should I bowl to him??

Any suggestions for him??
[Such options should be available to the bowler at click of a button before starting a delivery]

7.)When Batting:

We need a partnership

Just defend in the next over

Try taking a quick single

Go aggressive we need quick runs now

Dont lose your wicket now

Play grounded shots and dont go aerial..

8.)Ground Environment:

The current in ground announcement is fine but can be a little clearer to know the scores and displaying Scores on the scorecard will also be useful like the screen showing WARNER 50*..etc

Crowds chanting the name of the player who is entertaining the crowd or who is in best knick...Like SACHIN.....SACHIN..

Crowding engaging with the match like going...OOOOoooooooooohooooo [When bowler is bowling his best and the sound starting from the start of the delivery]

Music between overs and when boundaries are hit and wickets are taken...

T20 music and cheerleaders and in field announcement of the scores at end of the over by DJ with music

9.)When Batsman reaches landmark:

Present Cutscene are fine and after that both batsman on the middle of the and the other batsman showing encouragement...."Well played mate keep going"

If such things are implemented in the game then commentary wont be necessary at all...The above comments should be implemented based on the situations and the necessary comments should be spoken by the AI to be useful for the User to read the conditions and play accordingly..With such implementation Big Ants can prove different again that a game can be done without commentary and can be enjoyable as well.:thumbs

Note: Posted this as an idea for future iteration thinking on field environment can take over commentary in future as commentary will get boring over a time regardless of how good it is...

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That would work for career mode: but not so well for games where you control the entire team.

This "commentary always gets boring" bring is the biggest load of rubbish: the commentary in NBA 2k and the MLB The Show games is actually really good. Sure it repeats: but it does it little enough that it doesn't get annoying...

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
That would work for career mode: but not so well for games where you control the entire team.

Actually you control the bowler only and fielder after the ball is hit so it is possible for the entire team as well...

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
When batting we have the colour HUD around the ball to help with line and length, would it be possible to have it rotate left/right also when playing the spinners so you can play with the spin?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
There's your problem. It's the middle difficulty. How about you bump it up for a challenge?
Oh, you were probably talking about the "feel" of the competition. I think better commentary and an option to choose the team (I think coming in the next patch) will definitely help it.

generally the lack of team selection screens and the actual navigating through competition modes etc. are massively lacking. the navigation in the game feels very half-assed.

Orangzeb

Banned
All I seen was a 4 sec cutscene in the end with Aus team holding the trophy. Thats it. This is where it lacks compared to blc games. Anyway does somebody know why motm and cheerleaders were removed from this game? as both these things were confirmed( in thread what we know about dbc14)

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
yeah this game needs more excitement like music, cheerleaders, crowd cheering.

we also need better crowd like fans waving flags, trumpets etc..the crowd in this game is just dead.
I would love it if I hear the IPL Trumpets sound in the game.

just add custom music like FIFA..I am getting board of the same music now.

Last edited:

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
I would love it if I hear the IPL Trumpets sound in the game.
God I hate them.

I would like BA to concentrate on the on the field chat than the commentary in the next iteration...

Snip
Disagree. The player noises are fine, I don't need a load of dialogue that would just annoy after -1 seconds. You find out the strengths/weaknesses of a batsman already, you know what plan you should be bowling or batting to, and the Well Bowled things would annoy me as much as "that's gone" and "TOP BOWLING!!!" from previous games. Commentary is bells and whistles, but they are much more pretty and obvious than player noises.

Users who are viewing this thread