Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I already said this but gonna repeat that I would like on field conversations as to how to approach the game or the target and fielders nearby trying to sledge or show dominance on the field when batting...This along with the crowd noise if its the opposition team's home ground...This would really create the feel and pressure while batting...I would prefer this over commentary....As DBC 14 has a good crowd feel but not enough to switch off the commentary fully...

grkrama

National Board President
Crowds need a whole rehash crowds are as much a part of cricket culture as anything else, what stood out in blc 99 was even in those pix elated dots you could make out where you are playing whether its a subcontinent cauldron, or Caribbean flavor or lords mainly due to the sound effects and ambiance.

To me the crowds in DBC more than their quality need more variety, each country should have their own variety of varied crowds, each country should have some sort of cultural band of their country in the crowd.
like ENG with barmy army, Caribbean drummers, indian conch blowers, painted fans , flag bearers, etc

Most important placards, apart from 4's and 6's some nice generic placards say like say its an Aus vs ENG match you can placards in crowd section egging the opposite players etc.
A placard hero worshiping a career player would be awesome.
instead of regular wide panoramic views of the stadium sometimes it can be mixed with some closeups to the placards form time to time on crowd reaction etc.

The stadium atmosphere on the whole needs a lift up, right now at times it can get a bit too drab, and its not just the limitation of no of stadiums but the lack of identity with them, the one ground that stands out is bradman oval which is the most natural stadium as it atmosphere matches the real one.
Wind some activity around the rope like ball boys or fans asking autographs etc need not even be animated but just that sound wave would make it more immersive and enjoyable.

Every cricketer talks about stadium and crowd as much as their cricket cause it is that experience playing in front of all that they crave the most, so that kind of life needs to be put in to the stadiums.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Crowds need a whole rehash crowds are as much a part of cricket culture as anything else, what stood out in blc 99 was even in those pix elated dots you could make out where you are playing whether its a subcontinent cauldron, or Caribbean flavor or lords mainly due to the sound effects and ambiance.

To me the crowds in DBC more than their quality need more variety, each country should have their own variety of varied crowds, each country should have some sort of cultural band of their country in the crowd.
like ENG with barmy army, Caribbean drummers, indian conch blowers, painted fans , flag bearers, etc

The stadium atmosphere on the whole needs a lift up, right now at times it can get a bit too drab, and its not just the limitation of no of stadiums but the lack of identity with them, the one ground that stands out is bradman oval which is the most natural stadium as it atmosphere matches the real one.
Wind some activity around the rope like ball boys or fans asking autographs etc need not even be animated but just that sound wave would make it more immersive and enjoyable.

Every cricketer talks about stadium and crowd as much as their cricket cause it is that experience playing in front of all that they crave the most, so that kind of life needs to be put in to the stadiums.

I agree with this so much and mentioned the audio for different parts of the world several times. It really brings so much to the game.

I remember the barmy army chants being brought up before and amazingly, there were licensing issues apparently. How crowd chants can be copyrighted is beyond me. If this really is the case how about getting the crowd to chant "the army, army" instead of "the barmy army" for instance.

As Adit said adding some chirp from the players would be great especially if it fluctuated according to the game situation. Maybe this could be added individually via the academy and a player could have a different chat rating. From silent up to Warner level for example.

On a completely different topic I think the guys at Big Ant should have a look at Pocket Cricket and the way they have implemented confidence and also how the timing window for shots increases or decreases depending on ability, confidence and appropriate shot selection.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I agree with this so much and mentioned the audio for different parts of the world several times. It really brings so much to the game.

I remember the barmy army chants being brought up before and amazingly, there were licensing issues apparently. How crowd chants can be copyrighted is beyond me. If this really is the case how about getting the crowd to chant "the army, army" instead of "the barmy army" for instance.

As Adit said adding some chirp from the players would be great especially if it fluctuated according to the game situation. Maybe this could be added individually via the academy and a player could have a different chat rating. From silent up to Warner level for example.

On a completely different topic I think the guys at Big Ant should have a look at Pocket Cricket and the way they have implemented confidence and also how the timing window for shots increases or decreases depending on ability, confidence and appropriate shot selection.
From silent up to Warner level
:lol
Hey do check the world cricket championship 2 game on google store they have got majority of the shots right, looks really good...Even the cut shot they have made it like batsman just guiding the ball [being cheeky]...They have covered 360 deg shots and THEY HAVE GOT HELICOPTER SHOT as well...;)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Another thing I would like to share is for bowling they can allot segments for each type of delivery and provide the seam angle based on the spot the player is using like I have shown in the pic...

a.png

Bowling an outswing closer to the seam delivery should get mild swing and when in the mid region of the segment max swing and if they place it closer to cross seam it should be more of a slight or no swing ball coming with the angle of swing, this way it will make it more experimental for both online and offline gameplay...
Similarly if the Seam delivery is set on the line with inswing then the ball should just seam a bit into batsman...
And the animation of the ball should be likewise displaying the seam position as the player releases....

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
One of the things that needs to improve in the next iteration is saving of data after you save and reload the matches. Inability to do so detracts from cricketing experience. As an example I was playing a casual Test match and one of my batsman was on 80 odd before I saved the game. After resuming the saved game, the said batsman completed his 100 and I looked at the wagon wheel and it was almost empty with only the last 10 odd or so runs scored post save shown.

Statistics and availability to look at various statistics (wagon wheel, spider, manhattan etc.) is a fundamental part of the game and if you can't see it properly it takes away from the playing experience. At the moment I'm forced to play the match, or at the very least an innings, in one go else I lose nearly all the data and related stats before the game and that's a huge gap. In a game like cricket where a Test match would require a few saves at the very least, it's a pretty fundamental requirement to have all the stats available post save. Paging @MattW, @HBK619 and @fiction as I believe this should be a must have for the next iteration of the game along with more comprehensive stats (4s, 6s, Maidens, Manhattan, Spider/Worm etc.) and I would take a look at EA's Cricket 2007 for stats.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Another thing I would like to share is for bowling they can allot segments for each type of delivery and provide the seam angle based on the spot the player is using like I have shown in the pic...

View attachment 151538

Bowling an outswing closer to the seam delivery should get mild swing and when in the mid region of the segment max swing and if they place it closer to cross seam it should be more of a slight or no swing ball coming with the angle of swing, this way it will make it more experimental for both online and offline gameplay...
Similarly if the Seam delivery is set on the line with inswing then the ball should just seam a bit into batsman...
And the animation of the ball should be likewise displaying the seam position as the player releases....
To execute this into the game I would like BA to bring back the ball being displayed in the bottom right or left of the screen...

-The LAS should have the total control over the ball.
-As the LAS is placed, the ball on the screen will show how the delivery will be delivered.
-This way we can try tonnes of variations and this way it creates a lot of depth in bowling.
-Shining the ball must be made compulsory for players to enjoy reverse swing.
-We also need to assign a button for "turn the ball" for outswing and inswing reverse based on the shine of the ball.
-Commentary should tell or hint:
=Like "the bowler can try reverse swinging as the ball has lost its shine".
=Pitch doesn't seem to have a lot of reverse.
-For spinners same thing based on the type of delivery which are here included in the game.
-Based on the input given in the LAS, the ball on screen should display how the delivery would look.
-This way we can have like 4-6 variety of base spin i.e legspin and offspin.
-We can have deliveries which turns a lot , bounce and turn [based on bowler height].
-And including flight to all kind of deliveries as well.
-For spin instead of rotating 3 times I would suggest pressing R2 the no.of times.
-Same like they did in an very old game where we have to keep pressing a button to get the max spin.
-And the amount of turn would depend on the amount of turn on release.
-This rotation should be displayed on screen ball as a graphical representation as to what the bowler can expect.

-For all this I would like "X" to be implemented as a practice to check the seam position.
=In this the seam position can be looked onto as how the ball will look on delivering it.
=And the bowler can also have an animation of trying the ball from on hand to another.
Both for seamers and spinners.

-Another important hing is implementation of animations to provide the correct animation based on the delivery to read from the hands, so it must be released from the hands.

For all these a practice match with all the details explained with tutorial must be there as to how to benefit from all these detailed bowling experience.
Commentary is another thing which should provide with hints to the bowler like he is presenting his seam wrong, they can try reverse swing as the ball has lost his shine etc.
I am sure that such implementation into the game will create a lot of depth and would make the bowling part of the game very interesting with lots and lots of different experiences and moments from the game.

Last edited:

mani82ua

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@MattW dear matt, its kind request to please add trophies for XP points level like each tropy at 10th level as that keep motivated to further play like if any achieve 20,30,40 50 rank (talking about xp points level) there must be any trophy for that. Thanks for considering

grkrama

National Board President
-For spin instead of rotating 3 times I would suggest pressing R2 the no.of times.
-Same like they did in an very old game where we have to keep pressing a button to get the max spin.

Huge NO to this dont want any sort of button mashing mechanism in cricket game i hate them, good with most of the other stuff great suggestions.

What i would like most for the bowling system instead of the type of deliveries more control over the line and length to the extent it should feel like batting, getting that proper line and length or that block hole yorker/ ripping bouncer should be tough, just like how its difficult in finding the sweet spot in batting same should be applicable for bowling.

then only they can be made rewarding as well when the good ones are bowled. Bowling rhythm can be factored in etc.

right now since the good deliveries are so easy to bowl the game uses those various overriding mechanisms to make a score. Once bowling good becomes challenging and fun i think the AI can play more naturally without worrying about score line it will make.

I would also like Attribs playing more a role here too like not everyone can bowl those perfect yorkers like Malinga Staarc all the time or MJ short ones, these should be added as a skill and a rating for them to get it right or wrong depending on it. So if im bowling with Dinda or Dernbach im more likely to bowl a low full toss than a yorker etc

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Trophys would be nice, but I would still prefer actual unlockable items, logos, kit elements, stadium ...that's the sorta stuff that keeps you plugging away in single player. Online is already a winner in my book.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i think the current bowling control system is fandabbydozy... It's just the generation of edges from AI batting, pitch physics (bounce, seam), ball physics (bounce, spin) etc. that needs looking at.

scenarios should definitely be part of it and a scenario creator would be awesome.

the last thing required is time spent redesigining controls; we need evolution not revolution: give us DBC14 with better graphics, realistic AI play, more stadiums, deeper career with changing lineups/regens, and resolving the "quirks" (odd/missing stats, poor menus, poor competition structure etc.) and everyone will be happy.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Huge NO to this dont want any sort of button mashing mechanism in cricket game i hate them, good with most of the other stuff great suggestions.

What i would like most for the bowling system instead of the type of deliveries more control over the line and length to the extent it should feel like batting, getting that proper line and length or that block hole yorker/ ripping bouncer should be tough, just like how its difficult in finding the sweet spot in batting same should be applicable for bowling.

then only they can be made rewarding as well when the good ones are bowled. Bowling rhythm can be factored in etc.

right now since the good deliveries are so easy to bowl the game uses those various overriding mechanisms to make a score. Once bowling good becomes challenging and fun i think the AI can play more naturally without worrying about score line it will make.

I would also like Attribs playing more a role here too like not everyone can bowl those perfect yorkers like Malinga Staarc all the time or MJ short ones, these should be added as a skill and a rating for them to get it right or wrong depending on it. So if im bowling with Dinda or Dernbach im more likely to bowl a low full toss than a yorker etc
I was talking about the old cricket game where it had this kind of mechanism, I agree that its good with the current system but assigning the spin role to another button will create a lot more variation...But yeah it can also be implemented with the current control setup as well...

Attributes playing an important role is a must for the next version..

And about line and length can you elaborate on that, do you want it to decide the perfection based on the attributes and skills like getting the ball always in the same zone kind of stuffs...But to get this right AI must play realistically as in a struggling batsman should show the struggle, a batsman in poor form or out of touch misses deliveries or mistimes which are the usual or are his favourite shots, this should be seen...Even balls on the legside many will miss but the AI in DBC rarely does, if its full on legs then its surely a six....But in reality the chances of them going to six or even batsman getting bat onto that is dependent on his form...

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
And about line and length can you elaborate on that, do you want it to decide the perfection based on the attributes and skills like getting the ball always in the same zone kind of stuffs...But to get this right AI must play realistically as in a struggling batsman should show the struggle, a batsman in poor form or out of touch misses deliveries or mistimes which are the usual or are his favourite shots, this should be seen...Even balls on the legside many will miss but the AI in DBC rarely does, if its full on legs then its surely a six....But in reality the chances of them going to six or even batsman getting bat onto that is dependent on his form...

yes for example bowling line and length with a bowler like Ishant should be much tougher than with Mcgrath not just a difference between them, it should be tough like say hitting the perfect drives every ball. there should be level of variation and imperfection to deliveries and getting them right should be challenging and rewarding. Rhythm and conditions should play a role to the bowler.

right now any bowler in the game can bowl a perfect yorker or ripper of a bouncer at will and ease, this shouldn't be the case the level of control to get the delivery you want should be more challenging and varied. For example i try a yorker with dinda unless i get it perfect it should be a low full toss or something, likewise erratic short balls when going for bouncers etc.

Getting the perfect deliveries should be a bit more challenging especially with bowlers not skilled for that.

Right now AI is invincible to good deliveries while batting at higher difficulties, i assume this is more due to the devs being too extra cautious for the AI to not get bundled cheaply (though it is still possible with mid on of fields and has only affected in getting less edges) because the player can bowl the whole arsenal of deliveries at ease even in legend.

If that isnt the case it will engage more proper realistic battles between bat and ball with AI, AI's batting will still need to be modified for this certainly but will give more room to reward the really good deliveries as they wont be coming at the AI all the time.

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
yes for example bowling line and length with a bowler like Ishant should be much tougher than with Mcgrath not just a difference between them, it should be tough like say hitting the perfect drives every ball. there should be level of variation and imperfection to deliveries and getting them right should be challenging and rewarding. Rhythm and conditions should play a role to the bowler.

right now any bowler in the game can bowl a perfect yorker or ripper of a bouncer at will and ease, this shouldn't be the case the level of control to get the delivery you want should be more challenging and varied. For example i try a yorker with dinda unless i get it perfect it should be a low full toss or something, likewise erratic short balls when going for bouncers etc.

Getting the perfect deliveries should be a bit more challenging especially with bowlers not skilled for that.

Right now AI is invincible to good deliveries while batting at higher difficulties, i assume this is more due to the devs being too extra cautious for the AI to not get bundled cheaply (though it is still possible with mid on of fields and has only affected in getting less edges) because the player can bowl the whole arsenal of deliveries at ease even in legend.

If that isnt the case it will engage more proper realistic battles between bat and ball with AI, AI's batting will still need to be modified for this certainly but will give more room to reward the really good deliveries as they wont be coming at the AI all the time.
You are right about making it challenging but how do you expect that to be implemented...If its like adjustment made in the length differing the input given then it would become like a bug in the eyes of the player...

Users who are viewing this thread