Caught - only dismissals i get !

sweet magee

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I pretty much enjoy the game generally but I'm a bit disturbed by the fact that when I bowl v the AI all the wickets I get are via catches. No exaggeration. In the last 10 casual innings I've bowled in (playing first class / test matches) all 100 dismissals have been caught. I play on medium / medium / pro. Suspect it's not just me as when I look at scorecards other people post for first class / test matches there's plenty showing everybody out caught. Just feels a bit off - I play with default settings and just use whatever fields AI sets when I'm bowling. I'm having competitive games but it'd be nice to get some other kind of dismissals !

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I can usually get at least one bowled per innings when I play. Most likely to a tail-ender and either an edge onto stumps or a yorker.

My personal theory is that it has to do with the animations. The AI 99% of the time gets perfectly in-line with the ball regardless of movement off the pitch/in the air(which also helps prevent lbws) and all the drive/block animations have virtually no gap between bat and pad for the ball to go through. All of which means that even if they're well late on the ball they can still get some bat on it.

It's weird because bowling through the gate was very much a thing in DBC 14 IIRC.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I can usually get at least one bowled per innings when I play. Most likely to a tail-ender and either an edge onto stumps or a yorker.

My personal theory is that it has to do with the animations. The AI 99% of the time gets perfectly in-line with the ball regardless of movement off the pitch/in the air(which also helps prevent lbws) and all the drive/block animations have virtually no gap between bat and pad for the ball to go through. All of which means that even if they're well late on the ball they can still get some bat on it.

It's weird because bowling through the gate was very much a thing in DBC 14 IIRC.
i know what you mean, the only bowleds I get now is when the AI triggers the wrong animation, usually an inswinger from off stump and hitting leg, the AI plays a forward defensive down leg side exposing the stumps

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
i know what you mean, the only bowleds I get now is when the AI triggers the wrong animation, usually an inswinger from off stump and hitting leg, the AI plays a forward defensive down leg side exposing the stumps

Personally this is probably 85-90% of my bowleds. Out-swinging yorker with a fast-bowler.

I've had a couple of nice ones with a spinner but still a tiny amount. LBWs are even more scarce, although I used to get a lot more (at least on fast-bowlers) before all the patching.

Last edited:

eaglesrjh

School Cricketer
whilst I agree in general that bowled and LWB seem hard to come by, what % of your deliveries do you think are hitting the stumps? I know the vast majority of mine are missing.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
whilst I agree in general that bowled and LWB seem hard to come by, what % of your deliveries do you think are hitting the stumps? I know the vast majority of mine are missing.
for me, probably 1-2 an over with pace bowlers. However with spinners I believe around 80% of deliveries are hitting the stumps

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Maybe something to discuss is if bowleds and lbws are balanced, but catches are too common. Playing test matches against legend difficulty, the AI, for me, play a lot of rash shots, usually off short deliveries

sweet magee

County Cricketer
With spinners I can have the batsman missing regularly but never if it's going to result in a bowled / LBW - they'll miss but only if ball isn't going to hit the stumps. With any quicker bowler I never for a moment feel I've got a chance of a bowled / LBW - if the batsman plays and misses it's always when ball is bouncing up above the stumps. Maybe it's different in shorter formats as I only play first class / test matches.

Xboxer

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United Arab Emirates
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
LBWs are even more scarce, although I used to get a lot more (at least on fast-bowlers) before all the patching.

I think the Patch aimed to make AI batting more competitive and this has lead to this issue. Any word on the next patch? Even a mini-patch can address some of these issues

hiyagasriiniyavan

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
BIG ANT you done many thing i dbc 17, game is super,but all these you done,many people complained about LBW and bowled and ball not carring to wicket keeper so please i request you to solve this 3 issue,make small patch for this,in all threads this the topic for all people so give solution...

Benspursfan

School Cricketer
I did a google search looking for statistics on the proportion of dismissals by type in test cricket and this is what I found - caught 58.6%, bowled 21.3%, LBW 14.4%, run out 3.46%, stumped 2.02% and then a very few number of hit wicket etc.

So, you should expect significantly more caught, but it will depend on the surface, the weather, your bowling ability and strategy, plus the opposition.

I'm finding that I get more caughts than anything else, but they are generally edges behind and the slips (in the past they would have been mainly poor shots caughts in the covers or mid off etc.). I have bowled people and also had some very enjoyable LBW's, too.

Could this be a situation of you can't please all the people all the time?

hiyagasriiniyavan

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
when bowling ball has always one bounce to wicket keeper missing or edge anything

anybody give solution for this

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
I did a google search looking for statistics on the proportion of dismissals by type in test cricket and this is what I found - caught 58.6%, bowled 21.3%, LBW 14.4%, run out 3.46%, stumped 2.02% and then a very few number of hit wicket etc.

So, you should expect significantly more caught, but it will depend on the surface, the weather, your bowling ability and strategy, plus the opposition.

I'm finding that I get more caughts than anything else, but they are generally edges behind and the slips (in the past they would have been mainly poor shots caughts in the covers or mid off etc.). I have bowled people and also had some very enjoyable LBW's, too.

Could this be a situation of you can't please all the people all the time?

Thanks for the stats. A caught behind / caught in the field breakdown would be good to know. I myself generally find all ten caught but keeper takes two or three and slips often involved too. When it comes to bowled, if I beat the bat with a 'good length' delivery it often 'just' goes over the stumps. I'm pretty reliant on pace bowlers for my wickets too. Really struggle with spinners in Tests but maybe they'd do better if I could actually take a match into a fifth day!

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
I pretty much enjoy the game generally but I'm a bit disturbed by the fact that when I bowl v the AI all the wickets I get are via catches. No exaggeration. In the last 10 casual innings I've bowled in (playing first class / test matches) all 100 dismissals have been caught. I play on medium / medium / pro. Suspect it's not just me as when I look at scorecards other people post for first class / test matches there's plenty showing everybody out caught. Just feels a bit off - I play with default settings and just use whatever fields AI sets when I'm bowling. I'm having competitive games but it'd be nice to get some other kind of dismissals !

Looks like there's been some good feedback to your info. I'm taking mostly caught dismissals too but reasonable amount are caught behind / slips, certainly in Tests. My bowled wickets are often the result of a serious deflection off the inside of the pad or hitting the arm or something daft. I really struggle to take any wickets with spinners in Test matches.

Users who are viewing this thread