TUT: Cutting with the Pen tool

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Hey
I know alot of you use other methods of cutting such as the lasso tool to cut out your images. In my opinion, you're doing it wrong. :p
Using the pen tool is by far easier, quicker, and looks a whole lot better than using other methods such as the lasso tool.
Without further a due, heres the tut ;)

Open up the picture that you want to cut in Photoshop. I will be using this picture:

Larapull.jpg

Click on the "Pen tool" icon
pentool.jpg
and select "Paths"
pentool_paths.jpg

Zoom in a fair amount-I like it at 400%. Click right along the place which you would like to cut. You DO NOT need to hold your mouse-which makes it easier than the lasso tool in which you do. If you make a mistake, go to the history box and right click-delete on the point in which you made the error. It will delete anything that you did after that, so be careful.
pentooltutwork.jpg

Move your window or adjust your zoom and continue right around the place in which you want to cut. This is basically what Brian looked just before I was done:
laracutwork.jpg

When you go back to the starting point, the whole path should turn into a line. Right-Click anywhere on this line and select "Make Selection". A box should pop up, choose feather to 1-2 pixels, whatever suites your fancy.
pentooltutworkdone.jpg

The lines should become moving dotted lines. Go to Edit-->Copy (Or CTRL+C ;)) and paste it (Edit-->Paste/CTRL+V) where you would like!

Your result:

laracut.png

TIPS:

I like to close some annoying boxes in my window before I start to cut. Close the color balance and the layer boxes, and keep only the navigation and history ones. The Navigation helps me to move around the picture when zoomed in so close, and the history to help me if I make an error.

After you're done, I find it to be "cleaner" if you erase any of the background that may be seen through the "inside" of the image-such as the little bits of black between the grills in the helmet or in between the arms. Keep your zoom somewhere at 400% (or wherever you like it) adjust the size of your eraser (i like it at 2px) and erase these spots up. Be sure not to erase the grills itself.
"Even if this is not done well, it looks better in sigs" (-Thanks to Rabeta for these words of wisdom :p)

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to post here or PM. It may be more worthwhile if you post here, as more people can answer to your question.
Thanks,
Cricketman93

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nice, informative, readable tut.

Worth a try next time im cutting, ive gotten a little lazy and used Pre-cuts ive found here and a few other places :D

rabeta

News Team Member
Cricketman93 said:
"Even if this is not done well, it looks better in sigs" (-Thanks to Rabeta for these words of wisdom :p)

lol :p

Great tut Cricman m8, will help a lot of people. Only thing I would say is that when you make selection feather to 2 pixels, other than that the tut covers everything and is very well explained. Well done mate :cheers

D

Deleted member 13648

That's one of the best cuts ever! :laugh

Nice tut I'll start to zoom in on my cuts now thanks!

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah the Pen Tool pwns. I find using a feather of 1 makes the outcome look more tidy as well.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
rabeta said:
lol :p

Great tut Cricman m8, will help a lot of people. Only thing I would say is that when you make selection feather to 2 pixels, other than that the tut covers everything and is very well explained. Well done mate :cheers
Added!

evertonfan said:
Yeah the Pen Tool pwns. I find using a feather of 1 makes the outcome look more tidy as well.
Yeah, that part just slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me.

D

Deleted member 13648

I just did this McGrath cut thanks to this, thanks for the zoom advice mate :D

McGrathcut.png

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
!x!Culli!x! said:
I just did this McGrath cut thanks to this, thanks for the zoom advice mate :D

McGrathcut.png
Thats a very tidy cut :D should stick it in the pre-cuts thread.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
One piece of advice is not to cut to near the edge, just cut a little bit inside as it leaves no small line of the bg around the render :)

Good tut though mate :clap

Abhas

Retired Administrator
hassan said:
use the magnetic lasso instead or just polygon lasso tool should do the work
works pretty well... but the tools doesnt perform too well when there is lack of contrast between background and foreground...

hassan

International Coach
yea that is the trouble in using the magnetic one... what you can do is using the eraser tool with soft brush setting erase the background around the pic 1st and then use the lasso tool to cut around the pic

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Well the magic with the Pen tool is that you won't have to. If you zoom in enough, you can get a 100% representation without using the eraser, and it is easier because you won't have to hold down the mouse while you work.

Users who are viewing this thread