10 Greatest Cricket Commentators (One day and Test match)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Contrarily, I think Harsha has actually been well below par in this tournament. Accordingly, other commentators have been frequently ignoring his comments. :p

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Harsha is King Commentator

His voice quality is good no doubt, his English is pretty polished as well. But the main problem with him is that, he is continuously saying irrelevant stuffs which have no relation to the current going-ons at all. Which can be really irritating at times. Also lately, he's trying to imitate Rameez Raja. I heard him saying yesterday, "That ball is a very good ball too,...but they could run only two"- and all these things. Not denying, these things sometimes lighten up the tension, but they can also be quite irritating.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Harsha is King Commentator - Best of the present crop.

Wasim (I wish he had a better Voice) stands one of the best amongst the present crop.

You've clearly been listening to a different broadcast to the rest of us. Those 2 have easily been the worst commentators in the competition so far.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Harsha and Wasim going great guns at ICC World Twenty20 broadcast

His voice quality is good no doubt, his English is pretty polished as well. But the main problem with him is that, he is continuously saying irrelevant stuffs which have no relation to the current going-ons at all. Which can be really irritating at times. Also lately, he's trying to imitate Rameez Raja. I heard him saying yesterday, "That ball is a very good ball too,...but they could run only two"- and all these things. Not denying, these things sometimes lighten up the tension, but they can also be quite irritating.

I am connected to ICC World Twenty20 broadcast through ATN
Pay per view (Canada).

I have not seen all the matches though I am entitled to as I have a package deal from Rogers Communications for all matches.

With some of the key matches I have seen and listened to so far I have not watched anything irrelevant or unusual. In fact Both Harsha and Wasim are going great guns.

Others are okay .

Are you viewing the matches though ICC World Twenty20 broadcast or other channels?

I am satisfied with Harsha (two years back he was at express pace and endless babble) since the last time I listened 2 years back .

Wasim also appear much better and sharper (I wish he had a good voice) .

robin2855

Club Cricketer
COMMENTATORS : ICC World Twenty20 broadcast & Star Cricket

Star Cricket. The only channel having the rights to broadcast T-20 WC matches in India.

Is it possible to commentate for two different TV Channels?

Who are the key commentators for Star Cricket?

For ICC World Twenty20 broadcast I came across the following commentators.

Harsha Bhogle

Wasim Akram

Jeremy Coney

Ian Chappel

Naseer Hussain

Sanjay Mangrekar

Ian Bshop

Bumble

Geoff Boycott

Anil Kumble

Thier are a few others - I do not recollect thier names.

Mark Nicholas, Ramiz, Waqar, Tony Cozier, Gavaskar, Holdings, Ranjit Fernando, Tony Greig are some reputed commentators whom I have not heard on ICC World Twenty20 broadcast . Maybe they do not have a contract or may come at later stage.

Are any of these commentating on Star Cricket?

I did not see Harsha in either of Yesterday's matches : West Indies Vs South Africa, Pakistan Vs New Zealand

Was Harsha on Star Cricket Channel yesterday?

Kumble is a recent additon to commentator's list.

How do you rate him?

King Cricket

International Coach
Is it possible to commentate for two different TV Channels?

No it isn't.

Harsha Bhogle

Wasim Akram

Jeremy Coney

Ian Chappel

Naseer Hussain

Sanjay Mangrekar

Ian Bshop

Bumble

Geoff Boycott

Anil Kumble

Same, same. Same commentary. Just that our opinions are different, and I am still entitled to mine.

How do you rate him?

Not bad. But will need to see some more of Kumble before I rate him.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Geoffery or Geoff their can only be one Boycott(LOL!)

Dear oh dear there is no Geoffery Boycott in the list

A good one coolz_hari!

Geoffery or Geoff their can only be one Boycott(LOL!)

But beware mate I always use Immy for Imran Khan.A lot of fans address or call him by Immy.

Please note the nomenclatures of the following:

Bumble for David Lloyd

Sunny for Sunil Gavaskar

Beefy for Sir Ian Botham

Prince of Calcutta for Saurav Ganguly.

The list is endless.

Do you know in North America Robert is also called Bob and more confusing is they use Robert as their legal name but internally use Bob.

So watch out mate .Unless you are conversant with these nomenclatures chances are you will most likely get lost in wilderness(LOL!)

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
"Dada" Sourav Ganguly is supposed to make his commentary debut during the semifinals and finals. It will be interesting to see how he goes. I've felt relatively 'meh' about Kumble's commentary thus far.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Great news Sohum :Dada to make debut in commentary in Semi Finals!

"Dada" Sourav Ganguly is supposed to make his commentary debut during the semifinals and finals. It will be interesting to see how he goes. I've felt relatively 'meh' about Kumble's commentary thus far.

That is great news Sohum.

I can safely say he would be awesome. Being well bred and blessed with a sharp cricketing brain he would definitely be a treat to listen.

From what I saw of him during conduct of Man of the match Awards where both the Winning and losing Captains are asked to say a few words he was very Impressive,sharp and Spot on. Even in situations when he was a losing Captain speaking one saw him take the loss in great stride and always spoke about Win or Defeat in a positive manner.

One of the things I like which I guess is typical of a Bengalee is Self Respect and which he defends at at any cost. He wants to be treated at par with others.

His famous bouts (lol!) with Steve Waugh and Greg Chappell are foklores not that I liked all of it . But his guts not to be cowed down or defaulted by wrong means is commendable.

He is a firece competitor and it will be interesting to observe what transpires when and if he is paired with Ian Chappell another tough Cookie.

BTW I am a fan of Ian Chappell for he speaks with a straight bat and with his extraordinary sharpness can easily pinpoint loopholes in any prevailing system of cricket without any fear of the outcome and 90% what he says is true.

I like many of Dada's supporters worldwide are eagerly looking foward to his commentary debut in the semifinals.

Thank you Sohum very much to give this breakinng news.

I am pretty sanguine Dada will bring value to the commentary.

Last edited:

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Anil kumble ? Newest addition of Commentator

I am not sure if Anil Kumble has commentated in any form of cricket events prior to ICC World Twenty20.

But as far as I am concerned I am listening to him for the first time in the current ICC World Twenty20.

I have so far listened to him at least 5 matches of the ones he had commentated.

As he has just started it may be too premature to assess his performance.

Nevertheless I would like to take a shot at an initial assessment.

Here?s my take of him so far.

First I will start with positives.

Positives.

Undoubtedly posses a Good and Clear Voice ? Voice Dynamics is very important in Audio or Audio/Video presentations.

He was a shrewd bowler and a good thinker and Tactician as a Captain in his playing days. That is very much reflected in his commentaries which is rich with indepth cricket insights and analysis.

Downside:

Appears very serious.

Lacks excitement or liveliness (examples of liveliness being Harsha, Bumble)

He does not have to be overly lively or Exciting . A moderate amount of the elements will bring more vitality in his commentating.

What are Reader?s assessment of him so far?

Users who are viewing this thread