10th Match: England vs New Zealand at Jo'Burg

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I agree. Guppers is best as an opener, once Ryder comes back then drop McCullum down the order.

Completely agree. Why try and change a middle order player (McCullum) into an opener, when we have an opener (Guptill) batting in our top/middle order???
It just makes no sense to me.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Redmond has a dam handy T20 strike rate, definitely would get him in over Hopkins even if it means him at 7 as with that sort of SR he should go fine in the hitting role.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
While it would be ideal to have Guptill and Ryder opening the batting with McCullum dropping back down to 6-7 we would then need to find a number three batsmen, so far Guptill has done a pretty good job their and it's probably harder for us to find a good number three over an opener.

Although looking at Guptil's record most of his good knocks (his 100, his 60 odd against Australia) have come opening the batting.

Howsie added 1 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Redmond has a dam handy T20 strike rate, definitely would get him in over Hopkins even if it means him at 7 as with that sort of SR he should go fine in the hitting role.

There's no doubt he'll come into the team for Hopkins in the semi. Heck he could even provide Vettori another bowling option with his leggie's.

Ari

International Cricketer
I hope they move Franklin up the order soon because I fear he might end up getting dropped if that doesn't happen. His ODI bowling is not consistanly good enough to keep him in the team alone and if he never gets a good go with the bat people will start to question why he is in the team.

Needs to bat at 6 or 7 for me 7 would be ideal but with Broom not doing so well the 6 slot might open up.

nz0003

International Cricketer
ENNNNNNN ZEDDDDDDD!! That was McCullum's most important innings for ages, really got us on our way. Can't wait till the semis, looks like we're playing Saturday night, another all nighter for me.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Ideally for me our ODI line up should look like this:

Ryder (gone) - Redmond
Guptill
...???
Taylor
Elliot - ...???
Oram (gone) - Franklin
McCullum - McGlashan
Vettori
Mills - Patel
Tuffey (gone) - Butler
Bond

In our actual team McCullum has swapped with the number three which is then getting filled by Broom. I don't really rate Broom however.

I would drop McCullum back down the order, push Guptill up to open and then try and plug the number three position with I don't know who.

I would bring Patel in for Mills or Tuffey on a spinning wicket and I would have McGlashan as a back up keeper for McCullum.

Elliot has done enough to cement himself in my team for now, but as he is only a fringe player I'm not really sure who you would swap him with.

Your thoughts on that team?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Can't say I agree that Grant Elliott is just a fringe player. He was this time last year, but his performances against Australia and India show he can get it done at this level.

On Broom. I think it's best New Zealand drop him after the CT. He's a class player I believe, he did average 70 odd last year. I hope he doesn't go down the Daniel Flynn route though, although he should be in the test team sooner rather then later.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
At full strength could always try
Redmond
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin

Guptill has the ability to accelerate or stay around which is what you want from a number. Taylor also could do well at 3.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
At full strength could always try
Redmond
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin

Guptill has the ability to accelerate or stay around which is what you want from a number. Taylor also could do well at 3.

Guptill's a number? :p

That line-up look's really good tbh, although it would depend on how well Redmond goes at this level. Even if he failed we still have 2-3 guys putting their hand up to replace him. Barring Elliott everyone is what you would term naturally agressive.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Fantastic, more injury news.

However, the result in Johannesburg today could come at a cost, with man-of-the-match Grant Elliott left nursing a hand injury.

South African-born Elliott, playing on his former home ground of the Wanderers, was hit on the right thumb while batting as New Zealand chased a target of 147 on a pitch with an uneven bounce.

Moles said Elliott's thumb was swollen, but it was too early to determine whether the player was in doubt for the semifinal on Sunday (NZT).

From the herald.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Whats with the Kiwis and their injuries in big tournaments? I think it was the T20 WC where you guys also had injuries all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread