2013 ICC Women's World Cup in India

angryangy

ICC Chairman
You're not going to get a lot of entropy in women's cricket the way the men might do with their hundred thousand dollar contracts. I mean if you can't live off the income, real life comes first. If Australia is where your family are and where your real job is, then playing for a different country is utterly impractical. There are a few girls who play domestic cricket away from home and it's basically because of their careers.

I have to say that Holly Ferling's hair is very fitting for a fast bowler. She looks insanely tall, too. 115 kph from a 17 year old is not nothing. A good prospect.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well a massive congratulations to the Windies side! Nice to see someone other than the main sides in the final, albeit disappointing Australia conveniently collapsed from needing 40 off about 80 balls with plenty of wickets :p

They'll slaughter the Windies in the final I'm sure ;)

England have only themselves to blame though. I've felt all tournament that Charlotte Edwards is a very average captain, and perhaps they need to look elsewhere now. At no point did I feel she did anything to really effect the game, which was in stark contrast to Jodie Fields for the Aussies who seemed very shrewd.

Another interesting element England may need to look at. Sarah Taylor, their golden star of batting, has scored over 100 runs in the two innings they batted first in, yet made 3 ducks in the innings that have come after her keeping...

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
So, the West Indies become only the 5th team to ever feature in 10 finals of the WWC. Wish them all the best and I get the feeling that they might just cause an upset here.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Nah, they're too unpredictable still, and as much as the Aussies would have wanted to win every game, let's not pretend that they won't come out firing when it actually matters for them in the final.

This was a team with nothing to play for against a team with everything to play for, and Australia threw it away. Can't see them doing it again. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the final by at least 50-100 runs or 8-10 wickets.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Today will be the minor placing playoffs

England vs New Zealand for 3rd & 4th
South Africa vs Sri Lanka for 5th & 6th

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I really don't see why the Women's World Cup can't have the top 4 going into a knockout phase of semis and final. Needlessly truncated at that stage. An extra game for the semi and then the final doesn't change much.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I really don't see why the Women's World Cup can't have the top 4 going into a knockout phase of semis and final. Needlessly truncated at that stage. An extra game for the semi and then the final doesn't change much.

I think it's a bit like the Under 19s World Cup in that it puts a bit of extra emphasis on participation.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm, this isn't a development thing though. This is the peak of the women's game. So I don't see how that is a viable argument. It's clearly down to how much they figure viewing figures will be effected etc... but I think it actually benefits them to have the top 4-5 teams playing each other in some potentially competitive games on as regular a basis as possible.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Semi finals and then a final doesn't stop that though.

Satterthwaite with a fine knock so far. Has barely looked troubled and been able to find the boundary when the ball has been too short.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Actually, the Super Six does determine who lands up where. Also, one does get to know the positions each team is at. The play-offs are a unnecessary.

As for the next World Cup, India and Pakistan will have to undergo qualification, whereas the rest are automatic selections.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I still don't see why they can't have a semi final and then finals. Seems strange that results in your initial qualifying group can still effect your chances of reaching the final. Something I think they should look at for the next tournament.

Good win by England, in what is a slightly farcical repeat of the game that took place 2 days ago :p

Second century of the tournament for Edwards, a real shame she was triggered against the Aussies, and despite the commentators saying it, getting a life on 99 in a fairly meaningless 3rd/4th place playoff doesn't even out getting triggered early on when chasing a modest total in a decisive group game :rolleyes

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Drifted a bit, but Cameron unleashing a world of hurt now; starting to look like 250+ is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread