2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - Australia

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Feels like every T20 analyst worth a dime has come up with the same plan on how to best utilise resources with what they have.

A common thread linking all of these lower ranked sides (I would happily add Bangladesh to this list) seems to be a good pace unit that has variety, a finger spinner or two and a solid and unambitious batting order.

You then look at a side like Sri Lanka that you can call as a firmly mid-tier side and you see the differences in them having a hitter in top order, one in the middle order and attacking spin options. West Indies until recently possessed all of this too and the side they brought to this WC lacked the latter and arguably the former too with Pooran and Mayers both being out of form.

There are a few exceptions to this too as Scotland have a Munsey in the top order to go ham, Namibia have Wiese and Smit in the middle order and Afghanistan have attacking spin options and Gurbaz in the top order (arguably Najibullah in the middle order also counts for something). But in general it seems like a solid strategy to start from and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more sides do this as T20Is become more popular.
I think having the right resources is a big thing and then utilising them is the next step. Zimbabwe have a left arm spinner, mystery spin from Raza and Burl with leg spin - all top seven batters. I feel like you need at least 2 players who can bowl four overs, when needed, in your top seven. Helps if one bowler goes for runs and also with match ups. Then they've got Blessing with his height which makes him a big threat, Ngarava as the token left-arm seamer and three other useful seamers.

Pakistan has the resources but they are probably missing a genuine middle order batter (a match-winner really) who can take the game by the scruff of the neck consistently. I guess they've hoped that'd be Haider but he's not delivered. I think I mentioned it at the time, something Tymal Mills said during The Great Seven Match Series of 2022, that the PSL middle orders are very overseas dependent. Used to be the same with IPL (still is to an extent) so players aren't necessarily getting the opportunities.

It's one area India struggled with when Hardik was injured, the two best options to accompany Jadeja were perhaps Krunal Pandya and Axar Patel that's very samey and they aren't Hardik when it comes to batting. I'm surprised that there hasn't been (or at least there hasn't been someone notable come through) more Indian batters trying to reinvent themselves. I guess Hooda would be an option but it's hard to see a way into the top seven unless KLR took the gloves (or was dropped).

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

SMMODS

Panel of Selectors
India
AUS..
Mumbai Indians
CSK
Sydney Sixers
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

Can someone please tell me what he is saying?
Rizwan is saying RCB will never win ipl trophy.
Post automatically merged:

Conservation of momentum

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think having the right resources is a big thing and then utilising them is the next step. Zimbabwe have a left arm spinner, mystery spin from Raza and Burl with leg spin - all top seven batters. I feel like you need at least 2 players who can bowl four overs, when needed, in your top seven. Helps if one bowler goes for runs and also with match ups. Then they've got Blessing with his height which makes him a big threat, Ngarava as the token left-arm seamer and three other useful seamers.

Pakistan has the resources but they are probably missing a genuine middle order batter (a match-winner really) who can take the game by the scruff of the neck consistently. I guess they've hoped that'd be Haider but he's not delivered. I think I mentioned it at the time, something Tymal Mills said during The Great Seven Match Series of 2022, that the PSL middle orders are very overseas dependent. Used to be the same with IPL (still is to an extent) so players aren't necessarily getting the opportunities.

It's one area India struggled with when Hardik was injured, the two best options to accompany Jadeja were perhaps Krunal Pandya and Axar Patel that's very samey and they aren't Hardik when it comes to batting. I'm surprised that there hasn't been (or at least there hasn't been someone notable come through) more Indian batters trying to reinvent themselves. I guess Hooda would be an option but it's hard to see a way into the top seven unless KLR took the gloves (or was dropped).

I believe every T20 league's franchises if given the opportunity would opt to invest first in that middle-order hitter/all-rounder because as again the cabal of T20 analysts have pointed out somewhere with conclusive evidence (true or not) that having an elite option in there is key to a T20 side winning games consistently. Pakistan might have a plethora of untapped middle-order options that require consistent backing out there but they haven't got the opportunities fairly at a local or mid-tier level because experience and reputation keeps getting picked first due to the pressure. I've had a look at Khushdil Shah's numbers domestically and whilst he did have a solid support group including Tim David, he shouldn't have been this bad internationally after being a PSL star.

It's the same with India too IMO. Difference now seems to be that these franchises are realising that the local talent is there and might need some nudging and nurturing which can result in big payoffs. Jadeja and Axar both used to be nothing more than a number seven or eight in the past but now they're seen as top six batters. Shahbaz has been impressive on the domestic circuit for a long time and in the past he would have been relegated to that number seven spot but he's another one that has batted everywhere for RCB because the stigma has been eased. Sundar's being rightfully seen as a batting prospect in his own right by the national side and I haven't got to the other TN boys in DK who's undergone a late career renaissance as a finisher, Shahrukh as a pure hitter and the doomed Vijay Shankar who worked best as a middle order hitter. There's plenty of other blokes I'm not mentioning such as Venky Iyer and Gigachad Rinku Singh.

With Pakistan I just feel there is a coaching and tactical issue in there. Their side seems to be missing out on the smaller X-factor things that other sides are increasingly using and with them it seems revolutionary when they do it rather than the norm as it should be. Them promoting Nawaz or Shadab is an example of it, it's obvious to every fan of them here that they should be batting higher up and yet when Pakistan does finally implement it all I see is praise for them from the cricketing fraternity for trying something new. Maybe you can tweak their approach and get Babar and Rizwan to be in the 130s rather than 120s strike-rate in the first few overs by clearly showing them whom to target on what specific delivery or you can get 20-40 runs more from their middle order by playing the match-ups correctly as some are good versus spin whilst some are good versus pace. This on a whole seems to be a bit lacking other than 'promote Nawaz or Shadab if we need a boost in scoring rate'. Haven't even got to the bowling part where I feel they're just relying on natural talent to get them through along with on field decisions and fields for the most part.
Post automatically merged:

Is there any attacking keeper batsman in the domestic ranks in Pakistan? I reckon Pakistan cannot afford to play both Babar and Rizwan in the same T20 team.

I would actually boot both of them and get Fakhan Zaman and Shan Masood/Sharjeel to open and maybe Shahdab can lead the team... At least he has an attacking mentality that is required in the T20 team. Now, if Pakistan can find an attacking keeper batsman, things can be looked forward.

Fakhar Zaman
Sharjeel Khan
Shan Masood
Iftikhar Ahmed
Khushdil/Asif
Nawaz
WK
Shahdab (c)
Shaheen
Naseem/Wasim
Haris Rauf

This is the kind of hyperbole that I find to be funny. Rizwan and Babar have been world class and you want them out for a convicted match-fixer?

CooldiPargi

Aal Izz Well
India
RCB...
CSK
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

POV: I'm in my physics lecture.

Users who are viewing this thread