2023 ICC Cricket World Cup (October/November) - India

Your 2023 Cricket World Cup Champions are?

• Australia

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • India

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
On a side note: Every RCB fan thanking RCB team on SM for making them mentally and emotionally strong to accept such heartbreaks. :p

True that. We have moved on from yesterday's heartbreak. Just like any other IPL season.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
What's this nonsense of Siraj not being able to bowl properly on account of not having taken the new ball? If he is a bowler, he ought to be able to ball well with any damn ball, any damn over.

SkyBlue

School Cricketer
mediocre-mad-max.gif

AHHH....WHAT A RUSH!

In a tournament where the Indians were supposed to be crowned champions of all the known universe AND THERE SHOULD BE NO ARGUMENT! In front of a crowd no one really knows how large but supposedly anywhere between 90-130k, in front of the tiny old man who is a mad hatter PM and in front of a sea of blue and Bollywood royalty this was supposed to be a guaranteed win.

The entire tournament, in my eyes the worse since 2007 had been an exercise in incompetence (half finished stadia, non-working scorecards, electrical issues leading to no DRS etc etc etc), corruption (the ICCs own pitch consultant, whose job it was to look after the pitches for an "international" tournament complained) and arrogance (fans on the online echo chamber of forums such as his, lambasting any outcome other than an Indian victory, complaining that if India can't win the WTC its the formats fault not the teams LOL) came crashing down around the ears of jingoistic, at times outright bigoted (remember the Pakistan fan who couldn't shout "Pakistan Zindabad" or the number of Indian ex cricketers being offended by a Rizwan tweet or the Visa issues suffered by all nations to such an extent that even the Barmy Army said this was the lowest demand for tickets they had EVER had) cricket administrators and government officials.

The coronation to be was interrupted by that most important of things...A GOOD EFFIN CRICKET TEAM! Shock horror right?? How could a team other than India actually play well, how could anyone other than Shami or Booooomra take wickets? How could this be anything other than a final bow of glory for greatest ever athlete Kohli? And yet all the things India were hyped up to be, they completely lost out at...batting, bowling, fielding. They forgot that there was a game to be won, against a nation who are no strangers to winning and have won home and away for longer than the host nation has been "supaaastaaars".

A lot of people are going to be mad about this post but A: I don't care because this is absolutely hilarious and just desserts (I'm only scratching the surface of the sh***show this tournament was) and B: I'm actually a fan of a lot of these players, I consider Kohli one of the top ODI batters ever, Bumrah is a good bowler to watch and Shami in full flow is even better imo but the utter arrogance and contempt shown by players and adminitstrators for cricket here, as an actual cricket fan deserved on less of a come down to Earth as what was achieved yesterday.

Heck, the final light show couldn't even be reconfigured for Australia and the trophy ceremony was a shambles that even the BBC couldn't cover up with any pro-India jingoism.

Australia are deserved winners of an undeserved and ugly tournament.
Post automatically merged:

Typical here...if India can't win it, it's not important :grinning:
Well honestly, I'm not that fussed about yesterday's loss but this is just reality. Game depends on Indian viewership.

India transformed a dying sport into a sustainable sport with some help from England and Australia of course.

I would say that if India won the WC yesterday, it would've given all the more reason for ICC/BCCI/whoever to make it a less important event going forward.

And I frankly think they should. Only T20 can bring more teams and globalize the game. Lot of purists don't like it but that should be the way forward.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Will ODI World cup even be the flagship event of ICC in another 4 years? I am not so sure tbh
I will bet on it. While there's no doubt that cricket is going the T20 way and maybe even shorter, ODI WC as a pinnacle event of the sport should survive until at least the next 2-3 editions. I anticipate drop in number of ODIs being played but I feel cricket is going to emulate the football leagues (I don't have much knowledge in that sport but from what I've read, the sport is all about leagues and a WC every four years).

Case in point - I wasn't that much excited when the WC began (it didn't even look like a WC year due to the farcical approach of the board) but as when the tournament progressed, I could feel the nostalgia and adrenaline coming back - at least for India matches - that wasn't there at the beginning. It hit me - right, this a WC that is going on.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India transformed a dying sport into a sustainable sport with some help from England and Australia of course.

I would say that if India won the WC yesterday, it would've given all the more reason for ICC/BCCI/whoever to make it a less important event going forward.
Take India out and the ICC will fall. India failing time and again is good for the ICC as it builds up the hype. Broadcast let's will advertise every next Ind v Aus ODI as a Revenge match thereby garnering eyeballs.

Had India won, the ICC would have been happier as it would have worked in their favour.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Will ODI World cup even be the flagship event of ICC in another 4 years? I am not so sure tbh
There's no doubt this will survive. T20 is a shorter format where the public wants to simply see slam bang. There's very little skill involved.

ODI allows for more time and is more interesting. If India wins the 2024 T20, it will excite me, but not as much as India winning the ODI world cup.

Admittedly at the start, given the nature of the format, I wasn't keen / didn't feel like a CWC, as it progressed further, I was into it.

I remember predicting that India won't be in the Top 4, but the fact they did reach that stage, did get me excited.

This format will survive. All it needs is more multi-country tournaments.

SkyBlue

School Cricketer
I will bet on it. While there's no doubt that cricket is going the T20 way and maybe even shorter, ODI WC as a pinnacle event of the sport should survive until at least the next 2-3 editions. I anticipate drop in number of ODIs being played but I feel cricket is going to emulate the football leagues (I don't have much knowledge in that sport but from what I've read, the sport is all about leagues and a WC every four years).

Case in point - I wasn't that much excited when the WC began (it didn't even look like a WC year due to the farcical approach of the board) but as when the tournament progressed, I could feel the nostalgia and adrenaline coming back - at least for India matches - that wasn't there at the beginning. It hit me - right, this a WC that is going on.
Well that's because the tournament was organized in India and obviously an Indian world cup will draw a lot more attention.

Attention span of the newer generation is very less. Bilaterals are rubbish and uninspiring. I mean why would you invest 8 hours on a game when you have better alternatives that last less 2-3 hours? There is even talk of removing extra time in football for example.

Players have become smarter now and given the financial instability of their cricket boards, particularly the ones outside the big 3, they do realize that surviving on T20 cricket is the best way to make your livelihood as a cricketer hence leading to early retirements of many players.

Rather than football, I think cricket is heading the basketball route. You have IPL which is pretty much the NBA equivalent of the sport and then you have the rest of the leagues which are not as lucrative.

For me the comments of English players on ODI's was very telling. It's not just England, I think most of the teams are going to prioritize other formats way more including India.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Supporting RCB involves idolizing/worshipping star players and chest thumping about your 'loyalty' towards your team on Twitter when they get humiliated every single season.

Good to know this loser-ish mentality
Care to explain how that is 'loser-ish mentality'?

Every other IPL team fans do the same. Just that RCB fandom is extreme.

Bevab

Staff Member
@SkyBlue I’m pretty sure that there’s no talk related to removing extra time in football unless I’ve missed a major development, on the contrary we’ve had extended stoppage time in the Premier League and fan pressure to do the same in other major leagues that haven’t.

Omg...I thought Qanon reddit was bad but the delusion year almost made me fall off my chair.

You frequent interesting places on the internet my man.

SkyBlue

School Cricketer
Care to explain how that is 'loser-ish mentality'?

Every other IPL team fans do the same. Just that RCB fandom is extreme.
Actually that was an incomplete post which I did not intend to post initially but I dint realize it got auto-saved. Okay, let me clarify.

I am from Bangalore and for some reason, the new generation of fans think standing by your superstar players, cheering them even when they get humiliated every year is much more important than watching them win trophies.

This is why personal milestones/statistics are so revered in these parts.

You see this on a larger scale with Indian cricket fans these days.

I mean you literally own the game, 10/20x richer than the next richest cricket board, yet you can't win a single ICC event in the last 10 years, including two home world cups?

I mean somethings wrong when you hear people say 'proud of the team for reaching the final', 'boys played well but they can't be blamed'. Fans deserve better.

Not to mention BCCI censorship of media pundits where they can't criticize or question coach/captain's decision making or the board's decisions otherwise you get fired.

Bevab

Staff Member
Don’t think there’s anything wrong in being appreciative of a team’s dominant run till the final whilst also being critical of the poor performance in the final. Both of them aren’t mutually exclusive.

noducksallowed

Club Captain
@SkyBlue I’m pretty sure that there’s no talk related to removing extra time in football unless I’ve missed a major development, on the contrary we’ve had extended stoppage time in the Premier League and fan pressure to do the same in other major leagues that haven’t.

This is the most "interesting" place where losing a world cup means "it doesn't matter" :crylaugh:

SkyBlue

School Cricketer

Well there's no extra time in Copa America. After 90, you go straight to pens.

Given how much stoppage time is added on these days, won't be surprised to see extra time scrapped across other tournaments.

My point being, organizers are looking at ways of making it shorter, fast-paced, more exciting. There are going to be some changes made to the offside rule as well.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Actually that was an incomplete post which I did not intend to post initially but I dint realize it got auto-saved. Okay, let me clarify.

I am from Bangalore and for some reason, the new generation of fans think standing by your superstar players, cheering them even when they get humiliated every year is much more important than watching them win trophies.

This is why personal milestones/statistics are so revered in these parts.

You see this on a larger scale with Indian cricket fans these days.

I mean you literally own the game, 10/20x richer than the next richest cricket board, yet you can't win a single ICC event in the last 10 years, including two home world cups?

I mean somethings wrong when you hear people say 'proud of the team for reaching the final', 'boys played well but they can't be blamed'. Fans deserve better.

Not to mention BCCI censorship of media pundits where they can't criticize or question coach/captain's decision making or the board's decisions otherwise you get fired.
If humiliation for defending your favourite team is called a loser-ish mentality, so be it. Atleast people won't switch the boats during tough times and only support teams that win.

RCB hasn't won a cup but atleast they are the most entertaining team in T20 franchise cricket. Players like AB, Gayle, Kumble, Muralidharan, Vettori, Kallis, Kohli, Dravid, McCullum, and many more have been the all time greatest in World cricket. And supporting players of that calibre and hoping them to succeed in terms of personal milestone along with team's common goal is no way a loser-ish mentality.

Hypothetically, what if the same team had won the cup with same lot of players and same stardom? Would that be termed as loser-ish mentality too?

I agree team should come first and then personal achievements. But if ther is no personal achievements, that player is kicked out of the team saying you are not performing. It's what the fans want and that's what the players and BCCI is serving us. Players are not to be blamed.

Users who are viewing this thread