4th Test: Australia v England at The MCG, 26-30 Dec

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If England don't play either or both Finn & Rankin and the rumors that Bairstow will keep come to pass - its going to be a ugly test match.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Disappointed yet again that neither Finn nor Rankin plays. Bairstow 'keeping takes the pressure off his batting, but does ramp it up in the field. Be interesting to see how it goes. We could well fold like a pack of cards, yet again. But hey, let's see what we got.

bigred

Club Captain
I suppose that side was what I expected. Not sure how useful Monty will be. Would have probably preferred to have seen Finn, but I guess batting first means we should get a chance to bowl at the Aussies last. If we get through the first hour no more than one down, then I reckon we'll get a decent score. Problem is, I reckon it's going to swing around corners and we'll be in trouble before midnight.

bigred

Club Captain
I take back what I said about there being no point in playing Monty. What a first over from Lyon in the opening 45 minutes of the test.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
very bleh dismissal from carberry. had the let off with the umpire's call LB from a near identical round the wicket delivery from Harris. Probably weakness of his to round the wicket bowling.

Solid knock though, really. With the lack of a standout opening candidate a bunch of average contributions isn't terrible.

scratch978

Club Captain
Jonny Bairstow is in, his 1st Ashes Test this series, in front of 91,000 spectators and facing Mitchell Johnson with a brand new ball. !!!!
Could not have been any more difficult.

----------

I think Australia's day has just got better with Stokes wicket..

scratch978

Club Captain
Kudos to the Aussies for their waiting game.They did not get impatient when pommies were intent on blocking out overs and are reaping rewards for some tight bowling.
Flower and Gooch will banging their heads thinking how will they prop up England's batting.
Australia have dominated yet another day in this Ashes series. :)

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Harsh to say Australia have dominated the first day. They put England in, remember. It's obviously not perfect batting conditions.

I'd say it was pretty well balanced. Australia with noses in front.

lion100lion

International Coach
It's obviously not perfect batting conditions.

Are you serious ?
It was a good batting wicket. England will be very disappointed to finish the day with a score of 226/6. Their hopes of a big score now rests heavily on the shoulders of Pietersen.
The bowlers not only took wickets, but were miserly as well.

bigred

Club Captain
There's no way Bairstow should be anywhere near test cricket right now. How can you get bowled so much? Dreadful.

scratch978

Club Captain
Hey, I found a funny tweet on twitter..

Piers Morgan: Loving this @KP24 innings.. full of patience, explosion, drama, vomit..and winding the hell out of the Aussies. #Ashes

:lol

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
There's no way Bairstow should be anywhere near test cricket right now. How can you get bowled so much? Dreadful.

I'm hoping he's just being given these two games so we can move on and pick someone else in the summer, without everyone complaining that he should be getting a chance. His batting is no where near Test class as you say.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Have never seen any batsman as afraid of a bowler as Broad has been of Johnson this Ashes series. It almost looks like Broad doesn't want to be out there facing Johnson.

----------

When Monty looks more comfortable at the crease than some of the English lower middle order batsmen that says it all.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Monty is obviously not as good as anyone really, with the bat for England, but he is playing it as well as anyone. He's staying in line and watching the ball well, even if he can't always connect how he'd like, due to ability. You look at Broad though, who does have more ability and he just seems unwilling to stay there. Always moving around the crease, trying to avoid the ball rather than being proactive. However, that could be said about a few of the batsmen in this series though, so probably harsh to criticise just Broad.

Users who are viewing this thread