4th Test: Australia v England at The MCG, 26-30 Dec

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Monty is obviously not as good as anyone really, with the bat for England, but he is playing it as well as anyone. He's staying in line and watching the ball well, even if he can't always connect how he'd like, due to ability. You look at Broad though, who does have more ability and he just seems unwilling to stay there. Always moving around the crease, trying to avoid the ball rather than being proactive. However, that could be said about a few of the batsmen in this series though, so probably harsh to criticise just Broad.

I called out Broad coz you could see that he looked afraid to get hit! If he could he would have rather run away from the pitch than face Johnson. Yes, you may very well get out cheaply but at the least don't show your opponent you are scared!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just that in the first few tests, that seemed to be what everyone did. Which is exactly why Johnson has taken so many wickets. More like they're playing the fact that it's 90+ mph rather than what the actual ball is like.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Are you serious ?
It was a good batting wicket. England will be very disappointed to finish the day with a score of 226/6. Their hopes of a big score now rests heavily on the shoulders of Pietersen.
The bowlers not only took wickets, but were miserly as well.

Australia 112/5 right now. from 52 overs. England bowlers not only took wickets, but were miserly as well. Clearly good batting conditions.

*claims my five pounds*

scratch978

Club Captain
@ste_mc_efc
You must always read the pitch report before debating:-

In the words of MCG curator David Sandurski,
''I'm aiming for a wicket that's got a bit in it for the bowlers, a bit of pace and bounce for them, but that also helps the batters - the ball comes onto the bat so they can play their shots - and hopefully some spin on day four and five".

Source:-http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/mcg-wicket-ready-for-boxing-day-test-says-curator-david-sandurski-20131223-2zupy.html

So MCG has got a fair pitch and that's why wickets are falling..

Last edited:

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Yeh I wasn't saying it was a minefield. more that 400 would have been a very good score, par about, 300? hard to say. Maybe 330.

My argument was to say Australia are in a dominant position is silly. They were probably ahead, but dominant? nah.

Owzat

International Coach
It looked on for an interesting, close, low scoring game, but England may yet establish a decent lead. Had to laugh at Yawn claiming 70 runs would be a match winning lead but 40 runs wouldn't, on any pitch 30 runs can come very quickly.

England's top order all got in, only Pietersen made much of his start. His may prove a good innings on the pitch, but Carberry again got to 30 and didn't go on, all six of England's top order made it to 24+ and only one passed 40.

In fairness to the aussies, at least only two of their top seven made it past 20 and could end with both making fifties. Again I highlight the negatives of five bowler theory, not only lacking that batting when needed, but Stokes' 1/38 on a pitch where so far 250 looks a good total is just splitting the strength of the attack ie using a fifth bowler, and indeed the spinner, when the three main seamers were/are doing the damage.

Some will argue 'pressure' (buys wickets), actually I think wickets buy wickets and pressure ie it's the other way around, especially in ODIs. And all the allegations I've heard about England's pedestrian batting, well so far they've scored quicker than the aussies, it's what happens when facing "disciplined bowling" that takes wickets.

Will still only be 1-3 IF England can convert this into a win, I think their chances are diminished by the inclusion of Stokes and Panesar, and possibly Bairstow if his catching/keeping sees any chances go, although England have already shelled a few between them.

Some are of the growing view England rely on their bowling to get them out of fixes, is this another example? Obviously if you don't take wickets then you will be under the cosh and so to some extent the bowlers need to support the batsmen

scratch978

Club Captain
My argument was to say Australia are in a dominant position is silly. They were probably ahead, but dominant? nah.

I said it yesterday that 'Australia are dominant' and I was not wrong.
Day 1 belonged to Australia.

But today, English bowlers finally clicked in unison as England finished the day on top, perhaps for the first time in this return Ashes series.

Also, for the first time I dare say England seem to have some momentum in the series. Till now it was sacrificial lambs being led to the butcher!

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
England finished the first day of the first test on top as well from what I recall. Unfortunately they got annihilated by Johnson from the second day onwards and it was all downhill from there until this afternoon.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Just because Australia have the ashes, doesnt mean Warner and Watson go nuts. That put pressure on EVERYONE.

Smith and Bailey especially. Clarke got done by a good one and Smith can't save Australia twice nor can Bailey perform under pressure yet. Only Haddin seems to be able to.

scratch978

Club Captain
I think that England will now set their sights on going for the kill by batting big after wiping out their arch-rivals.
Having said that, Australia possess the uncanny knack of scripting come-from-behind wins.

After all, tomorrow will be an EXCITING day !!!

War

Chairman of Selectors

:lol For those who missed it. Coming from a football background, its always cringe-worthy to hear him comment about Arsenal or English football - so now that his opinions have filtered into the cricket world is quite dull.

Disappointed that Channel 9, allowed his twitter squealing to become a reality. Has David Gower rightfully said at the time - quite unedifying. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred

Club Captain
Assessment of the day. Pietersen is mad. I know Broad and Anderson are pretty bad, but did he not think that battling away for an extra 20 odd runs might have been more beneficial to the team than having a dip trying to get to his hundred. Monty has already proved that he can stick around for a while on this tour.

On the subject of Monty, there's no doubt in my mind that he has a far better technique defensively against quick bowling than Broad and Anderson. He should come in at 9. He's also much braver than Broad.

The good news is that the bowlers still proved they are top quality after some proper rest. Rest that the batters haven't given them in this series. Throw Finn back into the mix and we've still got an excellent attack. To those people still slagging off Stokes, I thought he did another good job. He's going to get better and better.

C Boomer

Club Captain
England pride restored (for the time being at least)...

English supporters can at last take heart now that we've observed venom and passion aplenty from their bowlers and it has reaped dividends, lets hope their big preforming batsmen can show similar aplomb and build a good innings to put the Aussies out of contention for the first time in this Ashes series !

Anyway setting that aside, this is entertaining cricket and I like many others I'm sure,are thoroughly enjoying this contest and with a record breaking 91,000 in attendance yesterday and 70,000 + today, who says Test cricket is in any shape or form in decline?

And to further lighten your mood... If you get a chance, check out my rendition of a famous ODI encounter involving England v Ireland played at Malahide earlier this season just past, its called; 'The Battle of Malahide ' and you'll find it under the entertainment thread of this forum...( C Boomer cricket poetry )

Thank you all kindly C.B.

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

:lol For those who missed it. Coming from a football background, its always cringe-worthy to hear him comment about Arsenal or English football - so now that his opinions have filtered into the cricket world is quite dull.

Disappointed that Channel 9, allowed his twitter squealing to become a reality. Has David Gower rightfully said at the time - quite unedifying. :facepalm

L8QtMsP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread