A quick question - mainly for the Aussies

dan_anderson

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys,

My dads team have just had a young Aussie over to play for them in the season that has just finished. He was talking about how he was hoping to make his first grade debut soon, and I was wondering what level that is, in regards to how close to the state team.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't too sure where to put it!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! Don't worry, you've put it in the right place.

Ok, so what i've found out is, that first grade cricket is essentially the highest level of club cricket before State cricket?

And after that, the next step up is into the Queensland 2nd XI and then into the 1st XI?

First grade cricket is the last step before State selection in Australia. The teams are named by district.

First grade club cricket is just local cricket. The teams are named by towns.

Ok thanks.

I know it'll be first grade cricket, and not local first grade cricket.

So that means he's 1 step from state selection then :)

Ok thanks.

I know it'll be first grade cricket, and not local first grade cricket.

So that means he's 1 step from state selection then :)

If he is from NSW first grade cricket isn't town names they are mainly sydney districts or Universities.

For example; Randwick, University of Sydney, ect teams like that. The best players from their then get into the NSW squad. Brett Lee and the like come back and play for their club teams every now and again too ;)

Theres 5th grade, 4th grade, 3rd grade, 2nd grade, 1st grade then state selection.

Welcome to the forums btw mate! :)

Thanks for all the info and the welcomes :)

If he is from NSW first grade cricket isn't town names they are mainly sydney districts or Universities.

For example; Randwick, University of Sydney, ect teams like that. The best players from their then get into the NSW squad. Brett Lee and the like come back and play for their club teams every now and again too ;)

He's from Queensland and plays for Western Suburbs, so I assume that's a district of Brisbane? Like I said, he got into Queensland U19 last December but had to pull out due to injury. So hopefully if he does well this year playing first grade cricket, he'll be able to get himself a state contract.

I see Cricket in Australia is much organised here in India we have-

CLub Level....District level...State Level first Under 19's and then the main one...If we play well in state you get a chance to represent your nation in under 19's or the main team

Users who are viewing this thread