Academy release 0.0.69 - discussion

kamrul

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
thats the prob im talking about not all players play like root or sachin for that punch, so if you include those and hrabhjan singh and Ishant sharma play those animations which itsnt great! Which is why one size fits all kind of animations are used which is great for gameplay and experience but does rob a bit on individuality which i think can be added with these signature shots!
Which is why i always said that all the batsmen batting with the same batting stance and using same lookings shots is something that will take away the longevity of the game!
If something like 'Shot packs' could be introduced ! There could be 4-5 'Shot packs' each containing different looking shots and batting stances. We could assign those shot packs to different batsmen. These Shot packs could be there in a categorized manner. (like opening batsmen 1 , 2 , 3 ; Tailender 1,2,3, middle order 1,2,3) . We can only assign tailender 1/2/3 to the tailenders and so on.... I guess it would make more sense!

BRAB

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Which is why i always said that all the batsmen batting with the same batting stance and using same lookings shots is something that will take away the longevity of the game!
If something like 'Shot packs' could be introduced ! There could be 4-5 'Shot packs' each containing different looking shots and batting stances. We could assign those shot packs to different batsmen. These Shot packs could be there in a categorized manner. (like opening batsmen 1 , 2 , 3 ; Tailender 1,2,3, middle order 1,2,3) . We can only assign tailender 1/2/3 to the tailenders and so on.... I guess it would make more sense!

$$$$$$$$$$$

N_stbss

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
BA going to introduce 4 DLCs with shot packs. 1st DLC could be tail ender animations.

D

Deleted member 9102

As I've said before, player individuality in animations is something I'd like to see and it would really add to the immersion, but I'd rather see it applied in a number of other ways before having something like the "signature shot" discussed here.

For me it would be more important to have a variety of animations to choose from for a player in the Academy for various things such as;

Bowling action
Batting stance/backlift
Preferred catching style (fingers up/down)

Also a greater variety in the existing shots, so with some players you get those elegant strokes with nice footwork and balance while others will look less technically sound, and tailenders who look like tailenders.

After all of that is in place, maybe signature shots can be added - the stuff I mentioned you would see every match, most of it every over so deserves more attention IMO. Bowling actions in particular are top of the list for me.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
As I've said before, player individuality in animations is something I'd like to see and it would really add to the immersion, but I'd rather see it applied in a number of other ways before having something like the "signature shot" discussed here.

For me it would be more important to have a variety of animations to choose from for a player in the Academy for various things such as;

Bowling action
Batting stance/backlift
Preferred catching style (fingers up/down)

Also a greater variety in the existing shots, so with some players you get those elegant strokes with nice footwork and balance while others will look less technically sound, and tailenders who look like tailenders.

After all of that is in place, maybe signature shots can be added - the stuff I mentioned you would see every match, most of it every over so deserves more attention IMO. Bowling actions in particular are top of the list for me.

In the future iterations of the game, once the core gameplay has been nailed, DBC can follow the same model as Top Spin 4, i.e., assign individual shot animations to player(s) in the academy. In Top Spin 4 when you create your Tennis career player you can select the forehand, backhand and serve animations from one of the three available depending on your style of play. In the future iterations of the game, DBC can have a library of canned animations for various shots such as on drive, cover drive, straight drive, cut, pull etc. There can be a base animation out of the box and users can go to the academy and assign a different animation from the available ones to replace the OOB (Out Of the Box) standard ones. E.g., majority of players can have the regular lofted on drive animation but for Dhoni you can select the helicopter variant. Similar approach can be followed for bowlers where you have a "Malinga" animation etc. and assign them accordingly to the player of your choice.

This approach will allow various animations to be added to the game over time, wouldn't require a new control mechanism for a new animation as you are essentially overriding an existing animation and will use the existing batting control(s) and would also enhance longevity since users would get to see individual batting and bowling styles.

j4mehta

Club Cricketer
On the topic of custom animations, just bringing back a post I had made earlier regarding an animation creator, just bringing it back for the sake of discussion:

Been following the forum for quite a few years, super excited for this upcoming iteration of the game, especially with the customization of logos / icons / bats / stadiums etc. Thinking about this, I had an idea similar to what has been created, not sure if it's feasible but just thought I would share it here:

Just as there is in-game customization abilities for the creation of stadiums and team logos (essentially allowing us to bypass licenses), would it also be possible to create an "Action/Animation" creator (for things like bowling actions/ batting technique), essentially allowing us to get player likeness in terms of animations.|

How I imagine it being is like for example, for bowling, you chose a stock action (ie. front-on, side-on or mixed for pace bowling), and you see a basic animation of the player with that bowling action. Then, there are modifiable parameters such as:

- release angle
- arm height
- release point
- Jump foot (ie. jumping of the wrong foot)
- Jump height
- Dominant leg height/bend
- Non dominant leg height/bend
- etc

These parameters obviously have to be thought through in detail, and as you edit them, you can see the basic action animation change (thereby allowing us to go from mcgrath actions to malinga actions as two examples of extremes). Something similar can be implemented for the different types of spin bowling (right arm offspin/legspin and left arm orthodox/chinaman) with different parameters, and as well with batting in terms of shots, like have basic animations for all the playable shots, and then modify them accordingly.

It may seem like a good thing to look into, might be difficult/a lot of work to implement (potentially too much?), but it would be awesome because then even playing styles in terms of graphics would achieve similarity in terms of their real-world counterparts. This can also be extended to fielding (throws), but that is probably tough to find player uniqueness, and makes more sense to have generic animations.

FollowOn

Club Captain
^That would be extremely cool but highly unlikely to get implemented before 5 more iterations.

D

Deleted member 9102

On the topic of custom animations, just bringing back a post I had made earlier regarding an animation creator, just bringing it back for the sake of discussion:
It's a great idea in theory, would add so much to the game if such a feature could be implemented well, but I see one issue in particular with it.

The current animations are (to my knowledge) all mo-capped, so they obviously abide by the laws of physics and look natural as they are just a 1:1 capture of a person performing an action in the real world. When you let users modify animations manually, you could end up with most of the results looking jarringly unrealistic compared to the mo-capped ones they are used alongside because they don't look like they are transferring the energy and momentum in a natural way. Having such an ingame editor be able to take into account the physics of the movement could be very complicated/difficult, maybe impossible.

With Big Ant making a tennis game next year, having some form of animation editing/importing would be a killer feature for that game though so maybe it would be something worth working on. Capturing the techniques of the swings of players really improves the experience of a tennis game, this guy makes animation mods for TE2013 in 3ds Max and they are extremely high quality;
TLC Tennis Animations

Sometimes handmade anims can do a better job of mimicking top professionals than someone pretending to move like them in mo-cap when you can't bring the player himself in to do it, but it needs to be someone very talented and dedicated like that guy above.

Users who are viewing this thread