Academy release 0.0.69 - discussion

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
you are indulging in a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. (or post hoc ergo copter hoc: add cymbal clash or tumbleweed as appropriate). you think because he hits the yorker for 6 then copters that somehow the copter enables the 6 hit in the first place.

The "copter" comes after the shot. the follow-through has literally nothing to do with the ability to hit the yorker for 6.

the picking up the length so quickly, getting into position, the hand-eye co-ordination, the bat speed and power are all evidence of genuine and relatively rare skill, but i repeat (and it is evidenced by others who can play a shot to a similar area from a similar ball without the follow through) that the follow through is unnecessary.

just bring your arms from a "backlift" type position through a shot as fast as you can... they don't naturally copter, but continue over your other shoulder. that is biomechanically natural and follows newton's first law... to perform a copter actually requires you to exert power against the natural arc of the follow through. (this is probably why dhoni has hit 6s in the same areas without coptering... it's not natural and needs to be remembered.)

as i say, it's theatre and good on him because it clearly energises his personal fanbase.

the only thing that surprises me about it being included in DBC17 is that nobody appears to have connected the shot to the "regional cover stars" thing and gone into a "dhoni on the box" fangasm.

The reason being Dhoni probably doesn't want to hurt his hand by restricting his brute force. Dhoni isn't a theatre guy, he plays like he knows it. Many of Smith's leg flicks have extra follow through. It's not unecessary, it's just the way they are comfortable playing it.

And everyone who follows cricket knows scoop was popularised by Dilshan and Helicopter by Dhoni, although Sachin played it before him. It's even said that Moonwalk isn't MJ's but it's impossible to take away MJ from a talk about Moonwalk...it's similar here.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The reason being Dhoni probably doesn't want to hurt his hand by restricting his brute force. Dhoni isn't a theatre guy, he plays like he knows it. Many of Smith's leg flicks have extra follow through. It's not unecessary, it's just the way they are comfortable playing it.

And everyone who follows cricket knows scoop was popularised by Dilshan and Helicopter by Dhoni, although Sachin played it before him. It's even said that Moonwalk isn't MJ's but it's impossible to take away MJ from a talk about Moonwalk...it's similar here.

Au contraire, I hear he was moved to tears by Adam Woodyat's portrayal of Biff Loman at the Old Vic a few years back.

otherwise i'm not an emoji kind of guy but really just :facepalm

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Who would of thought a DBC thread would be derailed to the biochemical abilities of Dhoni and his theatrical past. Everyone. Everyone would have thought that. It's Dhoni! The guy who did the thing a couple years ago against you-know to win the whatchamacallit!

Believe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
The 'copter is in the game? They're taking shots that literally one person plays more than once a decade, and putting them in the game?

Brilliant! When can I look forward to all tailenders playing Chris Martins patented "picture-perfect-forward-defense-but-get-bowled-anyway" shot?!?

*Insert pinch of salt here*

In all fairness, I don't really mind what shots are in the game. As long as the more difficult ones are limited as to what skill as a batsman you need to play them.

I have the horrible vision of the helicopter shot being the new "tail-ender 6 over third man off a yorker"

I'm praying to any/all that that never happens though.

B

Bigby Wolf

In all fairness, I don't really mind what shots are in the game. As long as the more difficult ones are limited as to what skill as a batsman you need to play them.

I have the horrible vision of the helicopter shot being the new "tail-ender 6 over third man off a yorker"

I'm praying to any/all that that never happens though.

Yes i agree with it completely.I was going completely out of context,hardly any one plays the helicopter shots these days in Cricket.Barring couple of players from Afghanistan & Nepal (yes from Nepal ).
So the helicopter shot should be limited to skills of a batsman only.

grkrama

National Board President
71430001.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1472664668][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am assuming your internet search history has you on some kind of list...

ya most of planet cricket incumbents!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
71430001.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1472664668][/DOUBLEPOST]

ya most of planet cricket incumbents!

Hilariously aand all too predictably the only people losing their minds are those who take any discussion of the shot and whether/how it adds to and should be balanced in the game as if the poster actually wrote:

Dhoni sucx, copter rubbish boo, eat beef.

Which is really tedious and is absolutely not what has been said by anyone.

Any shot added to the game should be discussed in terms of what it adds and how it should be balanced.

I would really have expected better from you.

grkrama

National Board President
Any shot added to the game should be discussed in terms of what it adds and how it should be balanced.

if its limited or made more accessible to player in category like unorthodox and brute combined it should be fine interms of gameplay balance!

and it was by me and many, before people wanted to talk about glamour, dhoni's psyche, his marketing skills we might as well be talking about his hairstyle and why he does that!

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Why not see if it's possible to either be able to customize which buttons, bumpers and triggers you wish to assign to play the shots and/or...

Have certain shots unavailable for certain players. So with the trigger combinations you can have a limited number of shots available and he type of player you are or the format you play can dictate the range of shots you play.

Adding to that you could learn the shots in career mode through drills/practice and as you build up your "shot library" you can choose which shots you want to include and assign those shots before each game, if you play all the different formats you may have 3 or even 4 different shot assignments.

Users who are viewing this thread