Your Cricket Advice on Buying a Cricket Bat

Highlander999

ICC President
Hey all.

I've decided that I want a new bat for Christmas, along with pads. The thing is I don't really know exactly what to get. My budget is around ?125+. I generally do like a bat with although a bit of weight, not too heavy.

As you can see I've been pretty vague, so any suggestions are welcome :)

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Personally I use a Slazenger english willow around $130 dollars simply because its the sort of bat for the sort of batter like me who nudges the ball around, nice and light. I tend to find Gray Nicholls and Pumas have thick sides from my memory when searching for my bat. Are you buying online or at a store?

Highlander999

ICC President
I prefer to nudge and nurdle as well, I'm not a massive slogger. TBH, I think either, regarding online or store. Depends what they offer

Highlander999

ICC President
Right I think I have managed to work it down to just two bats:

The Gray Nicholls Nitro 4 Star (Short handle) Here
The Gunn and Moore Hero 606 (Short handle) Here

Not really sure which one to go for though...

FreddieFan

International Coach
Go along to a shop with a good range of bats, go around picking them up and tryig them. I tend to stand in my stance and just lift it up behind me - this gives me a good feel for the weight of the bat. Find one you like the feel and go with it - picking bats out of a catalogue is pointless unless you value looks over feel.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
FUSION SPORTS.

You'll need an extra £40 to get the Grade 1, but it's more than worth it. You get a completely hand crafted, superbly made piece of wood. You also get to profile, middle position, handle type, weight, pickup amongst many other choices to get exactly the bat that suits your game, to your preferences. You'll get a far better product with Fusion Sports, just wish I'd gone with them myself. As opposed to the mainstream makes, Fusion pick out the wood specifically, and look to give you the best bat possible, whereas with GN or G&M you'll just be getting a bat mass produced. I'd definitely reccommend spending the extra £40. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.fusioncricket.co.uk/product_detail.asp?pCode=BATG1

adyhorn

County Cricketer
Love the hero, used my mates a few times and it feels superb.

Highlander999

ICC President
That does look a wee bit too expensive Dan. Ben, what are your experiences like with the GN and cheers for the input Adam.

Ian: There aren't really that many shops in Aberdeen which offer a wide range of bats to test out. I would have to go back to Edinburgh for that

Jericho

School Cricketer
^^ the travel is probably worth it though, you really need to get a good feel for the bat before you make any decisions about it.

Manly

Thor
My GN is pretty sweet, I didn't knock it in, but there are no cracks after 3 years of use. It has a pretty nice middle, which I wish I could find more often, but that's my problem. If you get it right, the ball really goes.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
That does look a wee bit too expensive Dan. Ben, what are your experiences like with the GN and cheers for the input Adam.

Ian: There aren't really that many shops in Aberdeen which offer a wide range of bats to test out. I would have to go back to Edinburgh for that

Surely an extra ?40 is worth it considering you'll get a top quality piece of wood, to your exact specifications. I'll admit I was mad paying ?150 for a Woodworm, and I now regret it. It's only been used a few times and already has a few small surface cracks. I knocked it in for longer than the little book reccommended, and yet cracks have still appeared. I'd definitely reccommend the Fusion, you'll just get a far better product, and for not too much extra money.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Well if you're a massive slogger then I think GN or GM bats would be perfect for you.Well if you're really a big hitter you should go for a Larson's RNS

Highlander999

ICC President
Surely an extra ?40 is worth it considering you'll get a top quality piece of wood, to your exact specifications. I'll admit I was mad paying ?150 for a Woodworm, and I now regret it. It's only been used a few times and already has a few small surface cracks. I knocked it in for longer than the little book reccommended, and yet cracks have still appeared. I'd definitely reccommend the Fusion, you'll just get a far better product, and for not too much extra money.

I'm not the one paying for it ;)

^^ the travel is probably worth it though, you really need to get a good feel for the bat before you make any decisions about it.

I'll send you the petrol bill then? ;)

My GN is pretty sweet, I didn't knock it in, but there are no cracks after 3 years of use. It has a pretty nice middle, which I wish I could find more often, but that's my problem. If you get it right, the ball really goes.

Cheers for the input

Users who are viewing this thread