Your cricketing pet peeves

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What winds you up about the game of cricket?

Here's mine:

• Slow over rates - a Test match day should be 90 overs. They manage more than this in domestic cricket, so there's no reason why they can't do it in a Test. Instead of having a cut-off time, play should just continue until the 90 overs have been bowled. Drinks/new gloves/whatever should not be allowed onto the field unless at a scheduled drinks break. Spectators are constantly being ripped off by paying a fortune for tickets and then not seeing as much cricket as they should be.
  • Light meters - these things should be launched towards the sun until they break up, never to return. Umpires already have perfectly good light meters - they are called their eyes. We shouldn't be taking some "reading" from a little black box. Again, this comes back to the fact that spectators don't get to see as much cricket as they should. This is the entertainment business after all.
  • Overly dramatic music - the TV coverage of the IPL is hard to watch due to the overly dramatic music that makes a cover drive seem like the final scene of a Peter Jackson movie. Cricket isn't that important, let's make it fun! If you really have to have music (I don't think you do, but hey) then let's have something a bit more jolly.
  • That sound TV directors put in when the ball hits the bat - you know the one, that "boom" sound that happens when there is a replay of the ball making contact with the bat. It sounds ridiculous. It annoys me that there's some TV director somewhere pressing a button to make that happen. It's crap. Stop doing it.
I'm sure I'll think of some more, but let's hear yours.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Agree with eveything but the light meter. It gives a clear indication of what's OK and what isn't, and as someone who has a visual impairment, I don't really want to play in the isn't.

As for my biggest one: selectors who constantly give guys with a track record of failure runs. I'm not meaning "Alex Carey didn't hit 50 in his first four Tests, drop him", I'm meaning "Let's give Marcus Harris a central contract for averaging 25 in Tests".

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Fans acting like the experts. It's true that sometimes teams make dumb moves, but at the end of the day they have so much more data, insight, etc to make decisions. They may know something you don't, so you don't need to slam every selection or tactic.

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Pre Match and Post match shows, Especially the Indian ones. Being incredibly one sided and turning everything dramatic, while also inviting 'experts' only to make a fool out of them.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Fans not knowing about a topic and trying to act experts in it . Overhyping lads in ipl and in formats they never performed in .

Also when some people watch an associate team for the first time cause they appear in a world cup or played against their team , then judge the team players entirely in that . Like people seeing the wc and only appreciating Dutch players who did well in it, not even knowing the existence of other good players who haven’t been picked due to various reasons . I guess I’m just a grumpy know it all but it feels very reactionary and based off just surface level information

Bevab

Staff Member
Fans not knowing about a topic and trying to act experts in it . Overhyping lads in ipl and in formats they never performed in .

Also when some people watch an associate team for the first time cause they appear in a world cup or played against their team , then judge the team players entirely in that . Like people seeing the wc and only appreciating Dutch players who did well in it, not even knowing the existence of other good players who haven’t been picked due to various reasons . I guess I’m just a grumpy know it all but it feels very reactionary and based off just surface level information

You definitely shouldn’t check out r/cricket.

cricfreak12

County Cricketer
You definitely shouldn’t check out r/cricket.
If only I had your wisdom, I engaged in a conversation there and was downvoted to hell for stating mere facts. It really makes you think about the demographic on there, I just chuckled at their inability to process logical thoughts.

Bevab

Staff Member
If only I had your wisdom, I engaged in a conversation there and was downvoted to hell for stating mere facts. It really makes you think about the demographic on there, I just chuckled at their inability to process logical thoughts.

I once remember being downvoted for saying something that could have easily been proven right by a simple statsguru check and was in response to someone making a very reactionary comment which was being upvoted even after being called out. :lol

cricfreak12

County Cricketer
I once remember being downvoted for saying something that could have easily been proven right by a simple statsguru check and was in response to someone making a very reactionary comment which was being upvoted even after being called out. :lol
Yeah those reactionary takes are big in there, but that's the internet I feel(excluding PC forum). I remember making a dumb comment and coming back to massive upvotes to my surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread