All Time Top 10

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I am not sure if this has already been done so far but I would like to learn who you guys think should be in an all time top 10.
Here is my list:

1.Garry Sobers: A great batsman, a great bowler and a sound fielder. The greatest allrounder who ever lived? Definitely. A Test batting average of 57, with the then world record of over 8000 test runs. He scored the highest test score of all time (at that stage in cricket history) when he was only 21. Coupled with well over 200 wickets with an average of 34, he was a match winner in every aspect.

2.Sachin Tendulkar: The greatest batsman who ever lived. To some that will be blesphamous, after all what about Don Bradman? But Tendulkar holds almost every batting record of note, with well over 30000 international runs and 99 international centuries. These are records which may never be broken, on par with Bradman's 99.94.

3.Don Bradman: An average of 99.94, possibly the most famous statistics in all of sport. Bradman is Australia's greatest ever sportsman, and in the 70 or so years since he last played cricket no one has ever come close to his stratospheric average and no one ever will.

4.Imran Khan: Imran Khan is the greatest allrounder since Sobers, period. His batting average of 37 and bowling average of 22 paint only part of the picture. Liek so many great cricketers from Pakistan, he could change the course of the game in an over or two, with both bat and bowl. Combined with his excellent captaincy, in a team famous for rebellion, he is arguably Pakistan's most important sportsman.

5.Muttiah Muralitharan: The master of the doosra, with more international wickets than anyone else. Shane Warne took over 700 wickets when Murali was still on 600 odd, but Murali smashed that world record and never looked back. Almost the perfect spin bowler.

6.Shane Warne: Murali's great rival and the most complete leg spinner to ever play the game. Not quite the inspiration in ODI cricket but in Tests there have been very few who have bowled better, especially on the biggest stage. He was soundly worked out by Kevin Pieterson and co in 2005 but came out stronger than ever in 2007. Great indeed.

7.Jack Hobbs: The most complete English batsman of all time. No one has scored as many first class runs or as many first class centuries, and no one probably will.His career was derailed by WW1 but he still managed to end with over 5000 test runs and an average of 55.

8.Wasim Akram: There are those who will say he is the greatest left arm fast bowler of all time. I would say he is the greatest fast bowler of all time, left or right is not part of the equation. Inswing, outswing, reverse swing and a dangerous bouncer, no one could and since his retirement no one has bowled them better. Until Muralitharan smashed all bowling world records he was crickets highest ever international wicket taker.

9.Vivan Richards: The most destructive test batsman of his time and definitely the coolest. His statistics are not as great as some of the other players to play the game but sometimes it is not all about the numbers. On his day he could rip apart any bowling line up in the world on any given pitch.

10.Adam Gilchrist: I was a little stuck as to who I would pick at number 10. Lillee, Marshall, Lara, Kallis?? But wicket keepers are so important to their team cause, yet so underappreciated in lists like these. Gilchrist was a great wicket keeper, unspectacular behind the stumps but 100% reliable. Add to that his batting which is up there with many of the best, he needs to be on this list.

1. Don Bradman
  2. Imran Khan
  3. Viv Richards
  4. W.G.Grace
  5. Richard Hadlee
  6. Jack Hobbs
  7. Wasim Akram
  8. Muttiah Muralitharan
  9. Malcom Marshall
  10. Brian Lara
Next 5 would be Warne,Sobers,Tendulkar,Keith Miller & A.Flower respectively.

Last edited:
  1. Don Bradman
  2. Imran Khan
  3. Viv Richards
  4. W.G.Grace
  5. Richard Hadlee
  6. Jack Hobbs
  7. Wasim Akram
  8. Muttiah Muralitharan
  9. Malcom Marshall
  10. Brian Lara
Next 5 would be Lara,Warne,Sobers,Tendulkar & A.Flower respectively.

solid list but u got lara twice . i know he was good but come on hehe ;)

I actually really, really like your list cricket icon. maybe Gilchrist is a bit much in place of Lara and Marshall

put Bradman at the top though. come on.

Yea ld go with your list as well cricket icon. But i probably want to include a a pure gloves-man like Knott, Evans instead of Gilchrist.

2.Sachin Tendulkar: The greatest batsman who ever lived. To some that will be blesphamous, after all what about Don Bradman? But Tendulkar holds almost every batting record of note, with well over 30000 international runs and 99 international centuries. These are records which may never be broken, on par with Bradman's 99.94.

Well to me it IS blasphemous. Sachin had the huge advantage of getting into his national team at 16 when virtually all his competitors had to wait until at least 20 or 21 before they could crack their strong national teams (Ponting, Lara, Bradman). If Sachin had not been born Indian he would not have been playing Test cricket at 16 - except maybe if he'd born Pakistani :D.

Consider this comparison of these 4 champions between ages 21 and 36. I chose 21-36 because Ponting, Kallis and Lara all debuted around 21, while Lara retired around that age and Ponting and Kallis ARE around 36 right now. So that levels the playing field. Here are the raw stats:
From age 21-36 Sachin scored 25325 runs in Tests & ODIs with 78 100s.
From age 21-36 Ricky Ponting scored 25185 runs in Tests & ODIS with 68 100s.
From age 21-36 Brian Lara scored 19767 runs in Tests & ODIs with 47 100s (Lara played quite a few less matches than Tendulkar or Ponting just to explain a fair bit of that difference)
From age 21-36 Jacques Kallis scored 22891 runs in Tests & ODIs with 57 100s

If you just take Tests, then Ponting LEADS Tendulkar from 21-36 with 12237 runs and 39 100s vs Tendulkar's 10750 runs and 35 100s in that period. Kallis leads Tendulkar as well with 11939 Test runs and 40 100s between ages 21-36.

So tell me where the huge difference is there? In no way am I seeing the equivalent of a 99.94 average difference. Tendulkar just got his shot earlier and he's had a great couple of years to finish, which Ricky Ponting or Jacques Kallis may be able to match for all we know. Does that make Tendulkar the greatest batsmen ever? Not in my mind.

Consider Bradman made a century in more than 50% of his Tests (28 Tests with a century, 24 without), just let that stat sink in. These were not matches against minnows either, 70% of his Tests were against England, the strongest team of the day. Tendulkar dreams of having that kind of record...he has 51 100s in 177 Tests.

Don't want to bash Sachin too much - he's a favourite of mine. I have his poster on my wall, but I just have to laugh when he's crowned greatest player ever based on weight of runs. It's not a fair comparison.

Anyway...I like those 10 names, but if anything they are 10 of the more overrated players - apart from The Don, you can't rate him enough :D

So allow me to add the 10 more underappreciated guys (relatively of course) who could challenge to make the list:
Jacques Kallis
Sir Richard Hadlee
Brian Lara - especially now when Tendulkar is running away with the records
Malcolm Marshall
Ricky Ponting - shame he had that slump. If he'd retired after 07 he'd be a huge legend.
Len Hutton
Rahul Dravid
Curtley Ambrose
Glenn McGrath
Ken Barrington
And any other good player that played before 1970 :D

Don Bradman
Imran Khan
Sachin Tendulkar
Shane Warne
Viv Richards
Wasim Akram
Glen Mcgrath
Jacques Kallis
Waqar Younis (for his amazing strike rate)
Brian Lara

Well to me it IS blasphemous. Sachin had the huge advantage of getting into his national team at 16 when virtually all his competitors had to wait until at least 20 or 21 before they could crack their strong national teams (Ponting, Lara, Bradman). If Sachin had not been born Indian he would not have been playing Test cricket at 16 - except maybe if he'd born Pakistani

You've got to remember that WW2 stopped bradman from playing more Cricket aswell.

great point made my sifter. but its no fault of tendulkar he was talented enough to debut at 16 so u cant hold that against him. plus looking at players over a certain period of time is not fair eitehr because all players peak, and drop at different points in their careers, irrespective of age. lara and ponting are both great but tendulkar has 99 international centuries...how many behind is ponting the nearest contemporary? a fair bit if i remember correctly. so thats what i meant by his 99 100s been an equal to that amazing average of 99.94.
and on the fact that bradman played 70% of games against england. fr me that is a disadvantage. he played the same opposition so many times he understood the way they played well and did not face the variety of bowling that tendulkar has over his 21 years. plus bradman neevr EVER played outside of australia or england...how would he fare in asian or caribbean conditions? still this is an argument that can go on for ever. ur either a tendulkar man or a bradman lol

You've got to remember that WW2 stopped bradman from playing more Cricket aswell.

I hear that was high on the list of Hitler's reasons for kicking it all off..................................

I'm going to do top 10 Indians only -

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Kapil Dev
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Anil Kumble
6. Vinoo Mankad
7. Sourav Ganguly
8. MAK Pataudi
9. VVS Laxman
10. BS Chandrasekhar

Comments? I'm not too sure on it tbh...

the point about tendulkar not playing until later was he from any other nation is a bit contentious. He was already making extremely good score in his teens and his 16-21 scores hold up with the best in the world at that time.

whether england or australia would have gambled on a 16 year old batsman is debatable, but whether or not they should have if the batsman in question is tendulkar isn't.

However, yeah, I do see what you're saying. his longevity is to be admired but it does not suggest he reached utterly unscaleable heights of cricketing genius.

Sunil Gavaskar
Sachin Tendulkar
Kapil Dev
Rahul Dravid
Anil Kumble
Sourav Ganguly (he is pushed up because of his influence on Indian cricket as a leader and how it impacted Indian cricket in the future with Yuvi, Sehwag, etc)

after that it's slightly more contentious.

Dhoni will be there soon enough.

Top Englismen:

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Ian Botham
Freddie Trueman
Walter Hammond

After this its debatable

Top 10 Australians:

Bradman
Lillee
G Chappell
Warne
Miller
McGrath
Border
Ponting
Gichrist
Lindwall

S Waugh, Trumper, Harvey, O'Reilly unluckiest to miss out.

I have not seen Bradman, Viv Richards and many greats so I cant pick them up in my best top 10 list as I said I have never seen them play. I have been seeing Cricket since 1992 World Cup. So my top 10 would start from there.

1. Gilchrist (The player who could thrash any opposition)
2. Langer (An Under-Rated Batsman, Likes him because of his no fear)
3. Ponting (Purely a Master Class)
4. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Highly Under-Rated Batsman, The talent was far huge)
5. Imran Khan (The best Cricketer all around)
6. Brain Lara (A large-hearted courgeous player)
7. Wasim Akram (Non-stop varieties)
8. Shane Warne (Such Spinners are born in ages)
9. G.Mcgrath (A great seamer under any surface)
10.Akhtar (Because of his Chrisma at his peak)

Users who are viewing this thread