Ashes Cricket General Discussion

D

Deleted member 185125

@wasteyouryouth , is the AI giving you competitive match when chasing targets above 180?
Would you mind giving the complete settings you play on normally?

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@wasteyouryouth , is the AI giving you competitive match when chasing targets above 180?

A fly in the ointment is even if you got his full settings, you would need to use this downloaded teams to ensure they are skilled same as what he uses. plus your ability levels will make a difference etc

D

Deleted member 9102

The underlying problem is the game is arcadey and targeted towards casual gamers. AI was never much of a challenge in any of the DBC series or Ashes Cricket once you got hang of the controls and spent a few hours on the game. DBC 14 was better in that respect as batting in "Legend" difficulty wasn't easy which kept the matches close.
Absolutely, at its core the game is arcadey/casual and I don't think you can just add enough sliders/editing options to counter that. The physics/mechanics need to be correct fundamentally and make things happen for the right reasons for additional sliders to be able to produce something which feels challenging in a satisfying way.

I wish they'd just make the game in the way they want to make it, like they did with DBC14, rather than trying to artificially manufacture it into some all-inclusive cookie cutter cricket game that will bring the most $$$.

“If you try to please audiences, uncritically accepting their tastes, it can only mean that you have no respect for them: that you simply want to collect their money.”
-- Andrei Tarkovsky

Last edited by a moderator:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The settings are default - hard batting, hard bowling and in general I've played on Legend.

Classic batting - I use only the pitch marker.
Classic pace bowling - I don't look at the hud for timing, I use the run ups for timing.
Classic Spin bowling - I don't look at the timing hud, I use the arm position for timing.

I don't think I've had an ODI match where I haven't bowled the AI out no matter what I've scored. So competitive is a stretch. I had one the other day where I was out for 200 and bowled them out for 170ish - that was using two of the world cup 92 teams I was working on and they are all skilled lower.

I agree with @zimrahil though, there's only so many similarities that can be replicated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185125

The settings are default - hard batting, hard bowling and in general I've played on Legend.

Classic batting - I use only the pitch marker.
Classic pace bowling - I don't look at the hud for timing, I use the run ups for timing.
Classic Spin bowling - I don't look at the timing hud, I use the arm position for timing.

I don't think I've had an ODI match where I haven't bowled the AI out no matter what I've scored. So competitive is a stretch. I had one the other day where I was out for 200 and bowled them out for 170ish - that was using two of the world cup 92 teams I was working on and they are all skilled lower.

I agree with @zimrahil though, there's only so many similarities that can be replicated.
Legend seems to always collapse in my experience. Pro and veteran plays better. Hardest bowling makes it difficult to get wickets, however the AI dismissals aren't that great. However, I just tried a match with 95 rated AI batsman with everything set to 100 apart from control at 80 and defence to 50 and the dismissal type has been pretty good. But AI still couldn't chase 170 odd off 20.
I also reduced the bowler skills for bouncer and Yorker, down but not happy with the results. Will try another one match reducing it even further.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Legend seems to always collapse in my experience. Pro and veteran plays better. Hardest bowling makes it difficult to get wickets, however the AI dismissals aren't that great. However, I just tried a match with 95 rated AI batsman with everything set to 100 apart from control at 80 and defence to 50 and the dismissal type has been pretty good. But AI still couldn't chase 170 odd off 20.
I also reduced the bowler skills for bouncer and Yorker, down but not happy with the results. Will try another one match reducing it even further.
I gave a Pro a try and bowled the AI out for 44 and 42. So I'm not convinced. I did wonder if, putting my kryptonite bowling aside, on Legend they try too hard to score runs and get out easily.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I gave a Pro a try and bowled the AI out for 44 and 42. So I'm not convinced. I did wonder if, putting my kryptonite bowling aside, on Legend they try too hard to score runs and get out easily.

That's the thing though. Clearly, or at least it appears to me, there is a mechanism in the game to allow the AI to just put the ball wherever it wants in order to get a boundary, regardless of the field or where you bowl to them. So it doesn't make sense why on the hardest difficulty that mechanism isn't be dialed up to 11. They should be able to make 500-0 in 50 overs every game if they wanted.

D

Deleted member 185125

Do you play on fully assisted fielding? And what Difficulty?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
That's the thing though. Clearly, or at least it appears to me, there is a mechanism in the game to allow the AI to just put the ball wherever it wants in order to get a boundary, regardless of the field or where you bowl to them. So it doesn't make sense why on the hardest difficulty that mechanism isn't be dialed up to 11. They should be able to make 500-0 in 50 overs every game if they wanted.
To be fair. They did chase 56 last night.
Do you play on fully assisted fielding? And what Difficulty?
Yeah fully assisted. Given the AI doesn't drop catches it seems fair to me. Legend.

D

Deleted member 185125

Not sure if the AI Difficulty plays better in certain formats. For example PRO for T20, veteran for ODI and Legend for Tests.

Users who are viewing this thread