Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I would really hope people will wait for the actual game before concluding all kinds of things from a few seconds of gameplay.....
I agree but from that 20 second clip, I like how it's looking so far

Culmernation

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nice surprise to see the release of this is so imminent. I knew BA were working on something but didn't know it was an Ashes game or would be out so soon :).

First reaction on playing the video on this page... There's a fielding radar now? I liked looking at the field to see the gaps tbh. Hoping the rest of the gameplay does not "dumb down" too much if this is any indication.

After what I thought was a huge disappointment in DBC17, I'm going wait this one out and see what the consensus is.

Edit - Just seen the pitch marker... :facepalm

I do agree that we shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions from this video as it's so short however the only thing I would say is I reckon it's on the lowest difficulty as the batsman's 6 is 120 odd meters. This might mean that the gameplay changes a bit at higher difficulty like less time to see the pitch marker, like what was done with the length colour on DB17.

Again I'm not drawing conclusions, rather speculating.

AliKhan215

Club Captain
Mainly being an online player myself, the game is lost/won on reading opponent's mind... if CPU/AI controls the footwork/shot placement of one of the players,it will be easier for him to judge as he just needs to time it and the CPU/AI will do the rest...!! Whereas, the other player playing with old controls will have no other options but to play on same controls as opponent to beat him.That's why I want it to be restricted to old controls for LEGEND difficulty...!!!
Abhi this is totally not making sense at all. If a bowler is good, he will trouble you no matter you’re using the new control or the old one. It’s all about the bowling class of someone :) believe me.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Deffo...I was commenting on the post about a faceplam for the radar and pitch marker...
Oh then I completely agree[DOUBLEPOST=1509308194][/DOUBLEPOST]Someone please post as soon as the preorder is live on psn, want to get it early

Reactions: DAP

passarapin

Associate Captain
AUS..
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh then I completely agree[DOUBLEPOST=1509308194][/DOUBLEPOST]Someone please post as soon as the preorder is live on psn, want to get it early
But why?
It's not like the digital version will sell out.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
But why?
It's not like the digital version will sell out.
True, I just want to get it as soon as possible. It's personal preference for me to have the game pretty early but I get where you're coming from

D

Deleted member 9102

I would really hope people will wait for the actual game before concluding all kinds of things from a few seconds of gameplay.....
Obviously it's impossible to draw complete conclusions, but you can obviously notice factual things like the presence of a pitch marker and fielding radar...

The absence of these things in DBC14 seemed to be to break away from the norms of old cricket games, towards a vision of something more closely resembling the feeling of playing cricket. Seeing all these old cricket game things back here seems to indicate an attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator casual cricket fan rather than following that vision.

If the game can still provide the best realistic experience with great physics, AI etc. with all these things turned off, then great...

However, as evidenced by DBC17's bowling mechanics being severely dumbed down/regressed from DBC14 to accommodate for the early marker for batting, sometimes by improving accessibility to appeal to these people, you can't always have the best of both world by just messing with settings/sliders...

Is timing based bowling length back?

Chief

Panel of Selectors
an attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator casual cricket fan rather than following that vision.

Appealing to what is probably 80% of the potential market by adding a new game controls scheme seems like the right thing to do (indeed, it's at least one iteration late IMHO). If they're not cutting out the one designed for the hardcore, what's the loss here?

Also the tone of the phrasing "lowest common denominator" seems at best harsh and at worst rather snobbish. Again IMO. :)

D

Deleted member 9102

Appealing to what is probably 80% of the potential market by adding a new game controls scheme seems like the right thing to do (indeed, it's at least one iteration late IMHO). If they're not cutting out the one designed for the hardcore, what's the loss here?

Also the tone of the phrasing "lowest common denominator" seems at best harsh and at worst rather snobbish. Again IMO. :)
I see your point, but what does this bowling marker do to the bowling mechanics? We saw what the length marker did to them in DBC17...

If the answer is that it has no negative impact, and the bowling mechanics are as good as DBC14 again... Great, I happily eat my words.

Users who are viewing this thread