Ashes Cricket General Discussion

grkrama

National Board President
Also the difference between control scheme has always been there, the guy playing in pro cam, far cam and close cam dont have same experience, same with all the hud assist different peopel use different combos as it suits them.

Also a new control scheme wouldn't mean the game difficulty changes at its core. whichever the control scheme you use the core difficulty will be the same, also the guy who has 2-3 years of muscle memory with dbc would prefer that over the casual anyway.

While they maybe different and one person may prefer one scheme to the other it shouldn't be any more difficulty changing that the other options like camera and hud assist options.

Rhone

International Cricketer
How about an Ai batting out 5 sessions to draw the test match after facing a heavy defeat? How about an Ai that scores multiple hundreds across a series? An AI that has you tearing your hair out wondering which fielder to put where, which line to bowl, how to get a wicket? Imagine that, that would be cool ;)

That would indeed be SO cool, but i just can't see it happening anytime soon.

Take the AI batting out 5 sessions for a draw example. You wouldn't have to code 1 single AI for that scenario, but you would have to code 11 individuals response to a situation where they needed to bat out 5 sessions for it to be realistic. Some players would do an Atherton and buckle down to leave and block their way through the overs, some players would do a Pietersen and refuse to change their natural game irrespective of the match situation and some players would buckle under the pressure and get out playing stupid backfoot drives or reverse sweeps.

In my head you would have to code how each different player in the game responds to a huge variety of match situations in a variety of different formats.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Take the AI batting out 5 sessions for a draw example. You wouldn't have to code 1 single AI for that scenario, but you would have to code 11 individuals response to a situation where they needed to bat out 5 sessions for it to be realistic. Some players would do an Atherton and buckle down to leave and block their way through the overs, some players would do a Pietersen and refuse to change their natural game irrespective of the match situation and some players would buckle under the pressure and get out playing stupid backfoot drives or reverse sweeps.

In my head you would have to code how each different player in the game responds to a huge variety of match situations in a variety of different formats.

You really would not have to code 11 individuals at all.

It's a generic situational awareness modified by attributes.

Culmernation

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned

At the moment the best we can hope for the first part is batsman sticking to their set mentality like aggressive and defensive ect.

I wonder for the buckling part if there was some sort of mental skill trait where if a player had a lower mental skill after 3-5 dot balls in a row he or she would automatically play an agressive shot to attempt to release the pressure therefore increasing the likelihood of them getting out.

I could however see this becoming very formulaic and predictable if you knew that a batsman was always one ball away from a potential stupid shot.

D

Dutch

I know what I would like to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
At the moment the best we can hope for the first part is batsman sticking to their set mentality like aggressive and defensive ect.

I wonder for the buckling part if there was some sort of mental skill trait where if a player had a lower mental skill after 3-5 dot balls in a row he or she would automatically play an agressive shot to attempt to release the pressure therefore increasing the likelihood of them getting out.

I could however see this becoming very formulaic and predictable if you knew that a batsman was always one ball away from a potential stupid shot.

Literally all you need is a situational goal that would modify existing choices based on attrubutes.

At its simplest it would increase the likelihood of a defensive shot by e.g. 33% so actually you still have attacking players a chance to put away bad balls.

More sophisticated it could modify the value based on modify existing attributes. So defensive players become more defensive by 50%, aggressive players by only 30% (modelling it being harder to change their game completely.)

It's really only about scaling the existing choice likelihood based on match situation which can be done very simply and retaining existing mechanics.

Now having an accurate goal scenario predictor might be harder, but again I'd say not as difficult as some are making out.

Rhone

International Cricketer
Literally all you need is a situational goal that would modify existing choices based on attrubutes.

At its simplest it would increase the likelihood of a defensive shot by e.g. 33% so actually you still have attacking players a chance to put away bad balls.

More sophisticated it could modify the value based on modify existing attributes. So defensive players become more defensive by 50%, aggressive players by only 30% (modelling it being harder to change their game completely.)

It's reallynonky about scaling the existing choice likelihood based on match situation which can be done very simply and retaining existing mechanics.

Now having an accurate goal scenario predictor might be harder, but again I'd say not as difficult as some are making out.

Yeah maybe you could have a 'Captains Orders' setting for an innings. You could order you team to defend more or attack more, and this would effect each individual. A 'Brute' player could become Balanced, a Balanced player would become Defensive if you gave the order etc etc.

You could even code it so that certain mavericks ignore your orders. A Boycott would never obey your order to become attacking, he would continue to bat for his average for example :)

Kartik101996

Club Cricketer
Al
What a terrible attitude to have.
Lol all I'm saying is we have a cricket game, it looks more than half decent, so I don't understand all these small complaints. People worked hard behind the scenes to give us what we see. We should appreciate more than criticise. If you ask me I think that's a better attitude than the people who love to complain on this forum.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Your Missing the Point here mate.

You cannot have a guy on one end , with the Game deciding the Footwork for him , competing Online against another guy that has to do it himself. There will have to be a Penalty to the guy thats on Training wheels if you in fact want to pit the two against each other.

Same with the Pitch Marker , I suppose the Host will have a lot of Match Creation Options to choose from , to Try and end up having a level playing field.

Here`s hoping that in Online , Where the Speed Sliders dont feature , that we dont have every Tom Dick and Harry Fast bowler bowling 167 km/h ....

IMO online should be played at a standard locked down difficulty with base set of attributes so you don't get exploits like bowlers bowling 170 kph or a medium pacer bowling at 60 kph. But I don't agree about the controls at all. In order to attract more players to the game - both online & offline - they should be able to select any control option they want to.

If you choose to play with hardcore controls then you can't blame your opponent for picking an easier control scheme. Your argument is akin to what i hear some people make on FIFA - those who play with manual passing controls. They want EA to make FIFA online based on manual controls as "assisted" controls is too easy. That's not how it works. the game should be accessible to all and only having a hardcore control for online goes against the principle. I'm all for locking difficulty level or locking down on base player attributes as they lead to exploits but I wouldn't force a control scheme on everyone. This is the approach followed in Madden, FIFA and other successful sports games for online gameplay and it works..

D

Deleted member 9102

The AI and it's realism/pacing go hand in hand with the gameplay mechanics - in 17 because you had such ridiculous control of length, you could put down perfect yorkers every single ball of every over of an entire match. In career mode as a bowler, why bother bowling anything else in the shorter formats? If you got jump and release in the ideal timing areas, the CPU just would/could not attack it and would score at <4 an over even in T20.

If you retain that sort of simplistic bowling mechanic then you don't have much room to manoeuvre with the AI. What do you have them do? Be able to consistently play aggressive shots to these perfect yorkers to keep a run rate going? You need to make bowling difficult and varied, have some risk/reward in trying a yorker that you might give a full toss or a half-volley etc.

Users who are viewing this thread