Ashes Cricket General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's strange . No cricket game have ever had realistic fields. You kinda think this is some thing easy do
Long-winded, rambling response coming up...

In comparison to DBC 14 and 17, this point after release, it's miles ahead. I don't think '14 ever resolved limited overs fielding issues, '17 came a long way from release to the last patch and ODI/T20 were for me easily the best part of that game. Ashes feels about where '17 ended in terms of AI field settings. The good thing, rather than finding flaws in field selections 'why are there two fielders outside the circle so often between overs 11-47?' it's a case of looking at where the actual fields could be improved.

Aside from the odd anomaly, when the field selection just seems inappropriate, most of them look right. Maybe some of them need a backward point instead of a point or maybe there just needs to be more fields added with minor differences. The problem when you create a field on the editor is: it might look right, you use the right real life placements, but in the game it doesn't translate quite right on field. That's when you end up with the big gaps. Then if there are only a handful of fields to pick from, and half of them have similar flaws, the AI can't plug gaps like the human player can. I chased 200 in 30 overs, in overs 20-30 the fields were more orientated to blocking that area, but then those had only a short cover between Wide off and Point. At the moment they feel a bit too balanced one way or the other and the AI just doesn't/can't bowl to the fields.

This is where I feel I have too much of an advantage. I've a played a few games now and bowled out the AI three times (240, 62, 205). The run rates in general seem fine, but whereas in real life you might see 4 or 5 singles per over, in the game I'm seeing one single and four. I don't know how it works under the hood, I can only talk about how it feels to play, but because I'm able to tweak fields, bowl better (most of time) to those fields, PLUS the fact that the AI isn't running singles I think the AI ends up having to play riskier shots thus creating a lot of catches in the infield. As soon as the field goes out the pressure is eased, but then I'm keeping the attacking fields because I know it works and have already removed the top order after 10-20 overs. It'll be interesting to see the difference it makes when the AI does run more singles.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These stuffs like deep fielder walking in close inner circle, overly aggressive field set, quick singles not taken by AI are not seen in DBC14 if am not wrong.

Kass D

County Cricketer

In comparison to DBC 14 and 17, this point after release, it's miles ahead. I don't think '14 ever resolved limited overs fielding issues, '17 came a long way from release to the last patch and ODI/T20 were for me easily the best part of that game. Ashes feels about where '17 ended in terms of AI field settings. The good thing, rather than finding flaws in field selections 'why are there two fielders outside the circle so often between overs 11-47?' it's a case of looking at where the actual fields could be improved.

Aside from the odd anomaly, when the field selection just seems inappropriate, most of them look right. Maybe some of them need a backward point instead of a point or maybe there just needs to be more fields added with minor differences. The problem when you create a field on the editor is: it might look right, you use the right real life placements, but in the game it doesn't translate quite right on field. That's when you end up with the big gaps. Then if there are only a handful of fields to pick from, and half of them have similar flaws, the AI can't plug gaps like the human player can. I chased 200 in 30 overs, in overs 20-30 the fields were more orientated to blocking that area, but then those had only a short cover between Wide off and Point. At the moment they feel a bit too balanced one way or the other and the AI just doesn't/can't bowl to the fields.

This is where I feel I have too much of an advantage. I've a played a few games now and bowled out the AI three times (240, 62, 205). The run rates in general seem fine, but whereas in real life you might see 4 or 5 singles per over, in the game I'm seeing one single and four. I don't know how it works under the hood, I can only talk about how it feels to play, but because I'm able to tweak fields, bowl better (most of time) to those fields, PLUS the fact that the AI isn't running singles I think the AI ends up having to play riskier shots thus creating a lot of catches in the infield. As soon as the field goes out the pressure is eased, but then I'm keeping the attacking fields because I know it works and have already removed the top order after 10-20 overs. It'll be interesting to see the difference it makes when the AI does run more singles.
For me I try not to explore AI's weakness. Like in DBC if u can keep silly point or silly mid on, AI will not score more then 100. And I simply don't use it.
Maybe they can get people who have played cricket at higher level to help out with AI fields. I know i would happily offer my services am sure you will as well. With realistic fields and AI taking singles and smart when going after scores, this game will be unbeatable

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

The best option regarding the AI field settings, especially in shorter formats, is to allow AI to pick fields which have max fielders outside the circle. IMO that's the easy fix coz for the most part that's what happens in shorter formats and this approach would work most of the time. Till the time AI is evolved enough let the AI only pick the following fields...

T20 (Overs 1-6; PP): Fields with 2 fielders on the boundary.
T20 (Overs 7-20): Fields with 5 fielders on the boundary.
Odi (Overs 1-10; PP1): Fields with 3 fielders on the boundary.
Odi (Overs 11-40; PP2): Fields with 4 fielders on the boundary.
Odi (Overs 41-50; PP3): Fields with 5 fielders on the boundary.
Super Over (in T20s, odis etc.): Fields with 5 fielders on the boundary.
5, 10 or any other limited overs format: Fields with max fielders on the boundary.

This approach was implemented in DBC 17 in Patch 4 and I would recommend going the same way in Ashes Cricket as well. At least 5 boundary riders in a odi or T20 with 7 wkts down is far more palatable than facing fields with 2 slips, gully and only 3 fielders out when the score is 110/1 in 12 overs.

@WealeyH , @grkrama , @T.J.Hooker would appreciate it if you can pass the feedback to Big Ant team as part of AI field sets in general.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
Delayed start for rain in third day of my Netherland-Scotland match (nice gloomy light).
Finally got someone out, it was a great and felt a genuine wicket, the game really test your patience. It was a fifty and out (the other batsman)
with a full length delivery with a little shape.
Netherland 345-7

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The best option regarding the AI field settings, especially in shorter formats, is to allow AI to pick fields which have max fielders outside the circle. IMO that's the easy fix coz for the most part that's what happens in shorter formats and this approach would work most of the time. Till the time AI is evolved enough let the AI only pick the following fields...

5, 10 or any other limited overs format: Fields with max fielders on the boundary.

This approach was implemented in DBC 17 in Patch 4 and I would recommend going the same way in Ashes Cricket as well. At least 5 boundary riders in a odi or T20 with 7 wkts down is far more palatable than facing fields with 2 slips, gully and only 3 fielders out when the score is 110/1 in 12 overs.

@WealeyH , @grkrama , @T.J.Hooker would appreciate it if you can pass the feedback to Big Ant team as part of AI field sets in general.

this is pretty much how it is supposed to be... the implementation of it hasn't necessarily come out that way

jonah

International Coach
Always been a bug bear of mine which is why I have been editing default fields since BLC 99 :p

That reminds me Phil, I tried out 'standard' batting controls the other day on Ashes 17 and you get the shot direction guide on the fielding radar ( if you know what I mean). Do you remember the days in one of the old games where we used to make that as large as reasonably possible to get more direction in the strokes? Good old days :D

Kass D

County Cricketer
Always been a bug bear of mine which is why I have been editing default fields since BLC 99 :p
I totally forgot. Yes we use to do that don't we . Wonder why they can't let us do the same. If we end up killing the game that's on us right and they can give us a option where we can go back to default settings.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

In general, from what I've seen this is already the case, like @blockerdave says, with the odd exception which could probably be easily resolved. The issue I was raising is that some of the default fields could be tweaked slightly or the variety improved by adding more. Ideally you'd want the AI to tinker itself but I think for the time being just creating more options would increase the competitiveness.

Just a quick look in the field editor 'Pace Inner Ring' looks to be the field that is being used in power plays. It's set to the tactic 'Prevent Boundaries', maybe 'Stop Singles' would be better, it's the sort of field I'd expect to see the AI have when it's trying to stop you scoring that last run to win a match so you're forced to risk a quick single or try and hit over the top.

Then there are Pace OD Attack 1 & 2 which are both for 'Very Aggessive' field tactics. Maybe if the AI couldn't set Very Aggressive fields in ODI or if you took the gully or a slip that is in those fields and moved them to third man or square gully then it wouldn't be as unrealistic to see if outside of the first powerplay. Or set those fields to Powerplay only because there's only one of the Pace OD PP fields that has a slip. For most of the fields they would be improved by a backward point instead of a point, of course that might open up great gaps so there needs to be a good balance.

For me I try not to explore AI's weakness. Like in DBC if u can keep silly point or silly mid on, AI will not score more then 100. And I simply don't use it.
Maybe they can get people who have played cricket at higher level to help out with AI fields. I know i would happily offer my services am sure you will as well. With realistic fields and AI taking singles and smart when going after scores, this game will be unbeatable

I've only played a handful of games so I'm just noticing patterns rather than exploring weaknesses and I would be all for them being resolved. It's not remotely like DBC17 where the only way I could play a test match would be by not having any close fielders, in the end I just didn't. I'm just playing the game in the same way, it's a huge improvement and I think with the odd tweak it could be unbeatable too.

D

Deleted member 9102

When is this released on PC? Couldn't find a date in any of the sticky threads except for this in the OP of this thread;

"Ashes Cricket will be available on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC in November this year."

I guess that's not the case for PC though. November ends tomorrow :p.

Any Academy nets/demo? Need to be convinced on the bowling length control before I purchase...

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
When is this released on PC? Couldn't find a date in any of the sticky threads except for this in the OP of this thread;

"Ashes Cricket will be available on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC in November this year."

I guess that's not the case for PC though. November ends tomorrow :p.

Any Academy nets/demo? Need to be convinced on the bowling length control before I purchase...
Ross has said this side of Christmas. If you like I could put a pitch map sometime. It shows a wide variety of lengths and lines. Not just the old 12 possibilities.

D

Deleted member 9102

Ross has said this side of Christmas. If you like I could put a pitch map sometime. It shows a wide variety of lengths and lines. Not just the old 12 possibilities.
I want to see how easily you can hit the exact same length time after time for like 30-50 balls... Whether doing constant yorkers is actually risky because you can bowl a full toss/half volley etc.

I know the timing based length is back, but with it still being with 4 length buttons rather than DBC14's 3 buttons my concern is that the "zones" are too small for timing differences to have enough of an impact on length.

Maybe a pitch map showing the minimum and maximum lengths able to be bowled for each of the 4 face buttons used?

It may be something I need to test out for myself which is why I hoped for a nets beta/demo like with DBC in the past. Wouldn't be my ideal solution but maybe I could try it out for a couple of hours and get a refund on Steam if I'm not satisfied... Not really that interested if the bowling mechanics are not better than DBC14.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I want to see how easily you can hit the exact same length time after time for like 30-50 balls... Whether doing constant yorkers is actually risky because you can bowl a full toss/half volley etc.

I know the timing based length is back, but with it still being with 4 length buttons rather than DBC14's 3 buttons my concern is that the "zones" are too small for timing differences to have enough of an impact on length.

Maybe a pitch map showing the minimum and maximum lengths able to be bowled for each of the 4 face buttons used?

It may be something I need to test out for myself which is why I hoped for a nets beta/demo like with DBC in the past. Wouldn't be my ideal solution but maybe I could try it out for a couple of hours and get a refund on Steam if I'm not satisfied... Not really that interested if the bowling mechanics are not better than DBC14.
I personally loved 14s mechanics and in the testing process. It came up all the time. I have to say this feels and plays better.

AnkitC

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Whether doing constant yorkers is actually risky because you can bowl a full toss/half volley etc.

I do not have a Pitch map at the moment but I can assure you that you cannot land perfect yorkers time and again. This makes bowling in T20s really realistic.

Particularly when paired with the fact that landing perfect yorkers can get you wickets. I have played a handful of matches and picked around 6 wickets or so from perfect yorkers, but at the same time got hit about 30-40 times, erring in length and bowling full tosses.

Users who are viewing this thread