Ashoka de Silva

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Last edited:

stefan

International Coach
You do remember that amla wasn't out as well?? Umpires have been poor this series but they haven't been biased.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
You do remember that amla wasn't out as well?? Umpires have been poor this series but they haven't been biased.

It's been god awful. How daryl harper and deSilva are still allowed to umpire test matches is beyond me. Both of these umpires are an insult to the icc elite panel, but they're not biased.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Yeah, that too.

I'd rather Amla hit the 286 than de Villiers, since Amla was actually not out.

Its just a travesty to be honest. They should check umpires for match-fixing / spot-fixing more than the players, since they have the biggest effect on the game. Especially since UDRS isn't being used

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I'd rather Amla hit the 286 than de Villiers, since Amla was actually not out.

De Villiers may have gotten lucky early on, but you can't deny it was a really special knock. Even more special considering he came on when SA were 33/3.

Its just a travesty to be honest. They should check umpires for match-fixing / spot-fixing more than the players, since they have the biggest effect on the game. Especially since UDRS isn't being used

How can they influence spot-fixing? And even match-fixing is mostly out of their control - they can't make a player under-perform. And with UDRS undoubtley being made compulsory in a few years, even the shocking decisions will (hopefully) be out of the game.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Well they can give people out or not out. Agree with Mark that its sour grapes to be honest.
and call no balls... :spy

I love that he's been called 'ashocka' so much now that his name is just spelled with an h out of habit.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think Daryl Harper also misjudged a pretty straight forward lbw against Devilliers when he missed a sweep shot off rehamn's bowling. These things tend to happen in cricket but these two umpires have been consistently below average now for a long time. I think ICC should do away with such crap umpires.

Last edited:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's one thing that there are umpires that aren't as good as others. It's a given. However, in terms of careers, there doesn't seem to be any difference. There are a number of better umpires outside the elite panel than several that are on it.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
All umpires are dreadful, but some umpires are more dreadful than others.

Apparently umpires "get 97.3% of all decisions right".
Just a shame that 95% of them are so easy a blind man could do it.
For the close ones they just seem to guess, and 50% they get right, and 50% they get wrong.
If an umpire actually gets two close decisions right in a row then the channel 9 commentators start lavishing praise on him, and beating their chests, like he is an umpiring god, and they are more man for being able to see it. Talking in deeper voices, etc...
Going to be a lot of that this summer I'm afraid, just wait for Mark Taylor to start beating his chest, talking in a deep voice, and jumping up and down like a monkey and repeating Michael Clarke's name everytime he plays a pull shot...

Last edited:

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Umpiring in general is poor on this tour, even in ODI's there were some wrong decisions by umpires.

Users who are viewing this thread