AMA Ask me anything you like | The NMA Experience - Come one, come all!

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
I purged my old thread because it really didn't have anything of substance there, and rather annoyingly, had a massive backlog of unanswered questions.

I'm pretty keen on bringing this back 'cause I think it made for good conversation, especially when there wasn't much to talk about on the forums. Also because I've been feeling a little spammish lately. So, here we go again I guess.

Ask me anything you like, but please ask only one question at a time so I don't start thinking of this as work and start procrastinating.

mohsin7827

International Coach
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
How you come with one of distinctive username on the forum?

Pardon me if it was answer earlier and I know there is pakistani film called Na Maloom Afraad

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
How you come with one of distinctive username on the forum?

Pardon me if it was answer earlier and I know there is pakistani film called Na Maloom Afraad

Yep! I got the idea after watching the film, which was a pretty big hit tbf, but apart from that, back when the country was in political turmoil and the security was at its worst, there would often be news headlines of "Na Maloom Afraad", (unnamed assailants) committing all kinds of crimes, and rather morbidly, that resulted in that name being plastered all over Facebook. There were hundreds, if not thousands, of FB profiles of that name. So me choosing Na Maloom Afraad as a username on PC was hardly an original idea, I just thought it'd be a cool name to have on the forums too, because I had already made that my username on FB following other people's example.

But somehow it stuck really well on PC, and as you say, become kinda distinctive. Distinctive to the point where I tried changing my username to my real name and it was met with an overwhelming rejection from forum members, which was kinda weird, because it was my real name. People rejected me for using my IRL name. :p

So which month of late 2024 is WoC coming back?

Neverember.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Yep! I got the idea after watching the film, which was a pretty big hit tbf, but apart from that, back when the country was in political turmoil and the security was at its worst, there would often be news headlines of "Na Maloom Afraad", (unnamed assailants) committing all kinds of crimes, and rather morbidly, that resulted in that name being plastered all over Facebook. There were hundreds, if not thousands, of FB profiles of that name. So me choosing Na Maloom Afraad as a username on PC was hardly an original idea, I just thought it'd be a cool name to have on the forums too, because I had already made that my username on FB.

But somehow it stuck really well on PC, and as you say, become kinda distinctive. Distinctive to the point where I tried changing my username to my real name and it was met with an overwhelming rejection from forum members, which was kinda weird, because it was my real name. People rejected me for using my IRL name. :p

Neverember.
September to November got it.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I've been feeling a little spammish lately.
got-ya-f-am-i-got-you-fam.gif

What's your favourite book, show, film and song?

Where's your favourite place you've ever been?

What one skill would you like to have, but you know you'll never actually learn it?

You have to select an all-time XI, and you are the captain. Who are your other 10 players. and which real team do you want to play against?

What would your ideal home look like? Do you prefer large spaces or small?

Do you have any pets?

Which fictional character reminds you most of yourself?

If there could only be one format of cricket and you got to design it, what would that format be?

Pat Cummins or Ben Foakes?

Do you prefer watching sport as a fan or as a neutral?

What is the best meal you've ever eaten?

What is your proudest achievement?

Do you have a favourite flag?

Should I bump or restart my own AMA thread?

If you could put one person in charge of running the entirety of cricket, who would appoint?

Do you have a favourite cricket ground?

Which browser do you use?

Do you eat meat?

What's something that you don't think I'll have ever tried, but you would recommend to me?

What is your favourite colour?

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
What do you love about cricket most?
Should've tagged me dawg.

Honestly, playing cricket is the most fun I've had doing anything ever - but over time, the love for this game has waned to the point where playing cricket is the only fun to be had. When I was a kid, I remember I used to have nothing to do so I'd sit and watch all 100.0 overs of Bangladesh playing Zimbabwe, or a full day's play of Test matches between Sri Lanka and India. That's how much I loved cricket, I just couldn't get enough of it. Now, I can barely manage to tune into Pakistan's games when they're playing the shortest format against England in my city. To think that I had more interest in watching Pakistan play, and lose, in those empty UAE grounds than I do watching them play at home is kinda sad tbh.

Apart from playing cricket, managing leagues on PC is actually a significant reason why I'm still in touch with the sport. It has gotten considerably less in the last two years when I started World of Cricket, since there's no burden of knowing what's going on IRL to run it. Managing leagues, playing cricket, and the odd spectacle of a World Cup are the only things keeping me tuned in to the sport.

It's honestly amazing how much I used to love it and how that love has just evaporated with time.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
I will answer one question at a time as per my convenience because I don't want to give a single-sentence answer and move on.

What's your favourite book, show, film and song?
I don't do favorites with films and music, my opinions change about these things far too much. Although, I do have an affinity for horror films. They're not the only films I watch, but I do watch a lot of them. And I have been trying to watch more films recently. Not as much as @ahmedleo414, but still a lot more than I usually would. The last few films that I watched for the first time that I really, really liked are - The Iron Claw (quite a recent release), It's A Wonderful Life, Pearl, Marrowbone, The Pale Blue Eye and The Prestige. I also saw Saltburn, but I did not understand the hype behind it.

As for music, it's as trashy as it comes - I'll listen to pretty much anything that isn't overplayed. Not long ago, I was blasting Lana Del Rey and Amy Winehouse. :p

Before that, it was Kanye West. So yeah, my music taste swings to all extremes.

Right now, I have my headphones plugged in and I'm listening to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx77_beiso

As for books, I can't really say that I'm much of a reader. I know @pillowprocter just shot himself somewhere in a corner, but I haven't done much reading since school.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
The Prestige. I also saw Saltburn, but I did not understand the hype behind it.
I love The Prestige. And I think that the hype behind Saltburn is that it's basically The Talented Mr Ripley for people with no attention span whatsoever. Those are the only two films out of the ones on your list that I have opinions on; I may look into the others though!

Lana Del Rey and Amy Winehouse.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. For a long time, my music tastes ranged from indie rock towards non-screamo metal, but as I've mellowed I've definitely settled on female singer-songwriter stuff ranging from bouncy (Sophie Ellis Bextor) to brooding (Lana Del Rey). I kind of missed the wave with Amy Winehouse though; I'll go back and have a listen.

As for books, I can't really say that I'm much of a reader. I know @pillowprocter just shot himself somewhere in a corner, but I haven't done much reading since school.
And yeah, uni kind of had a similar effect on me. I think it was partly because (due to my history degree) I felt like any time I spent reading something that wasn't some deeply boring history book for class was time that should have been spent reading that.

Not to say all history books are boring, but almost all academic books are boring and it's often deliberate.

I think I only read an average of about a book a month now, which is pretty rubbish especially given how much I actually still do enjoy reading once I get going with it.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
I love The Prestige. And I think that the hype behind Saltburn is that it's basically The Talented Mr Ripley for people with no attention span whatsoever. Those are the only two films out of the ones on your list that I have opinions on; I may look into the others though!
I loved The Prestige as well! I also saw The Illusionist because somebody told me it came out at the exact same time as The Prestige and was very similar, including a shock twist at the end, but The Prestige is definitely the better film. I'm also surprised you've never seen It's A Wonderful Life, people consider it a classic. I thought I was late to the party for having just watched it last month.

Pearl and Marrowbone are probably gonna be hit or miss. I liked them because I like horror films, even though the latter isn't really a horror film. It just has that vibe.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. For a long time, my music tastes ranged from indie rock towards non-screamo metal, but as I've mellowed I've definitely settled on female singer-songwriter stuff ranging from bouncy (Sophie Ellis Bextor) to brooding (Lana Del Rey). I kind of missed the wave with Amy Winehouse though; I'll go back and have a listen.
Oh, yeah - that was the first time I listened to 'girlpop' music. Starting listening to them at the same time, coincidentally.

Users who are viewing this thread