Australia Central Contracts 07/08

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Rogers v Jaques? Just has to be Rogers! Rogers has been immense for both WA and Northants where he is by far the stand-out player in a fairly average team, and scored hundreds easily aswell as 312. As for Jaques all i've heard is that he's in poor form.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes Rogers has been in better form but Jaques has had a crack at the top level before so he will be ready to play at international level again.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They could go either way for the opening spot. Rogers has been consistent as Jaques, Jauqes has a bit of international experience.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Feelin Blue? said:
Yes Rogers has been in better form but Jaques has had a crack at the top level before so he will be ready to play at international level again.
And done little, other than his awesome ODI debut. I would still put Rogers in, why not pick your best inform player over one who has played before?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Just read that everyone in the 25 has a chance of playing so that's good news for Dizzy. Must be a reason why he is still in the list, I suspect he might be a dark horse to reclaim his Test spot. They might go for the experience in the pace department letting Hilfy, Tait, and Johnson develop a bit more.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
Just read that everyone in the 25 has a chance of playing so that's good news for Dizzy. Must be a reason why he is still in the list, I suspect he might be a dark horse to reclaim his Test spot. They might go for the experience in the pace department letting Hilfy, Tait, and Johnson develop a bit more.
Well they wouldn't be there if the selectors didn't consider them good prospects for this season, but that dosen't mean that they will all get selected, I hope that Dizzy gets a shot but not at the expense of a younger player who is doing well.

karnog

International Cricketer
Not a fan of cameron white but youth is his trump card. Cullen needs more time to develop and woah Gillespie. I hope he gets the test spot.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
aus5892 said:
Well they wouldn't be there if the selectors didn't consider them good prospects for this season, but that dosen't mean that they will all get selected, I hope that Dizzy gets a shot but not at the expense of a younger player who is doing well.

Obviously not all of them will be selected but Dizzy could have been dumped like Kasper and Katich but he wasn't. That suggest he should be replacing McGrath cause why else would they keep him on the list? They could always call him up even though hes not on the list while saving money and investing in youth.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
Obviously not all of them will be selected but Dizzy could have been dumped like Kasper and Katich but he wasn't. That suggest he should be replacing McGrath cause why else would they keep him on the list? They could always call him up even though hes not on the list while saving money and investing in youth.
True, and I do believe that he's in their plans, I was just making a general statement.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Drewska said:
Rogers v Jaques? Just has to be Rogers! Rogers has been immense for both WA and Northants where he is by far the stand-out player in a fairly average team, and scored hundreds easily aswell as 312. As for Jaques all i've heard is that he's in poor form.
It's funny how people read form. It's very true people lamented Jaques' form and while he did have an unfortunate run of single figure scores (which openers are always susceptible to, regardless of form or skill), 987 runs @ 47 is hardly a terrible season. Now, only an obsessive fan would say that he played better than Rogers for his mammoth 1204 runs, but in the end, he managed the same number of centuries and his team did make it to the final. You have to note these things, such as Rogers' 279 coming in a match drawn due to four days of superb batting conditions.

If Rogers gets a Test spot, I won't be one to say he cheated his way into it (he's well deserved and many would have expected Jaques and Rogers together to be opening by now), but seeing how some were so quick to jump off Jaques' bandwagon, one can only assume what will happen if Rogers struggles for impact.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
aus5892 said:
And done little, other than his awesome ODI debut. I would still put Rogers in, why not pick your best inform player over one who has played before?
Lol yea i was gonna say that but i hoped no one would remember and say anything :spy: Lol at the moment it is definately Rogers in front.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Rogers and Langer are similiar players so are Jaques and Hayden

Langer and Rogers hang in there fight there way through the innings and have been brought up on the WACA pitch

Jaques and Hayden are hit or miss

Thats what makes Langer & Hayden such a good partnership because they contrast to each other if they pick Jaques & Hayden it will be a big surprise

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hayden usually goes on to make big scores when hes on form. And going by ODI form he is in form so him and Jaques wouldn't be a problem. The way Langer has been going Jaques would fill his boots perfectly as he too likes to be aggressive early on.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Langer the opener was as much a shameless attacker as he was a gritty grafter. Bowlers knew neither one of the two would hesitate if the ball was in the wrong area. Partnerships of Langer and Hayden regularly ran at five runs an over because of this double-edged attack.

I tend to feel this is how Jaques fills the gap better. With Rogers, bowlers will immediately know who they'd rather bowl to in the partnership. Sure, Jaques can seem careless if he gets out early, but even a Geoff Boycott could get out carelessly. Jaques goes on as much as any comparable defensive leaning batsman and that's what you have to consider; time at the crease. While he's in the middle, devastation usually reigns and the bowlers can be forced to defend at both ends.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
angryangy said:
It's funny how people read form. It's very true people lamented Jaques' form and while he did have an unfortunate run of single figure scores (which openers are always susceptible to, regardless of form or skill), 987 runs @ 47 is hardly a terrible season. Now, only an obsessive fan would say that he played better than Rogers for his mammoth 1204 runs, but in the end, he managed the same number of centuries and his team did make it to the final. You have to note these things, such as Rogers' 279 coming in a match drawn due to four days of superb batting conditions.

If Rogers gets a Test spot, I won't be one to say he cheated his way into it (he's well deserved and many would have expected Jaques and Rogers together to be opening by now), but seeing how some were so quick to jump off Jaques' bandwagon, one can only assume what will happen if Rogers struggles for impact.
Any double century is still a great feat, no matter how hard the pitch is. Victoria's bowling attack isn't too bad either, and their batsmen didn't do much on that hard pitch. The fact is that form is what we can go by, there is no meter of skill and concentration, attack, off side etc that we get like in Cricket games, there is only results and form and what we see. When someone does as well as Rogers did, he should be rewarded justly.

Users who are viewing this thread