Australian cricketers "banned" in Mumbai and Nagpur

Status
Not open for further replies.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
As media coverage of attacks on Indians in Melbourne and Sydney continues, the leader of India's extreme right-wing Shiv Sena party Bal Thackeray has declared that Australians are not to play cricket in the entire state of Maharashtra. It follows a similar attitude towards the Pakistan team in relation to terrorism.

Thackeray's criticism of a lack of patriotism from Indian players does appear somewhat ironic following a warning to Sachin Tendulkar to stay out of politics after declaring "Mumbai belongs to all Indians" two months ago.

However, Shiv Sena, perhaps uncommon for politicians, are not just old men full of hot air. They have dug up a number of pitches prepared for India-Pakistan matches in the past. Although Australia is not due to tour, Shiv Sena's position towards both Australia and Pakistan could have vast repercussions on IPL and the World Cup.

Articles of reading
Sena chief won't let Oz cricketers play in Mumbai - India - The Times of India
Now, Shiv Sena 'bans' Australian Cricket team in Mumbai - 1 - ?National News ? News ? MSN India
Dean Jones says Shiv Sena's Bal Thackeray threat very real
ABC Sport - Cricket bigger than IPL threats: Hopes

a very in-depth editorial from The Age
The crime is violence, regardless of race

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
He is a loon old man anyway. Just thinks Maharastra is his private property. I would say it isn't going to cause any thing.

Amiya added 1 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

It's just my personal opinion. Don't know what others thinks.

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
As media coverage of attacks on Indians in Melbourne and Sydney continues, the leader of India's extreme right-wing Shiv Sena party Bal Thackeray has declared that Australians are not to play cricket in the entire state of Maharashtra. It follows a similar attitude towards the Pakistan team in relation to terrorism.

Thackeray's criticism of a lack of patriotism from Indian players does appear somewhat ironic following a warning to Sachin Tendulkar to stay out of politics after declaring "Mumbai belongs to all Indians" two months ago.

However, Shiv Sena, perhaps uncommon for politicians, are not just old men full of hot air. They have dug up a number of pitches prepared for India-Pakistan matches in the past. Although Australia is not due to tour, Shiv Sena's position towards both Australia and Pakistan could have vast repercussions on IPL and the World Cup.

Articles of reading
Sena chief won't let Oz cricketers play in Mumbai - India - The Times of India
Now, Shiv Sena 'bans' Australian Cricket team in Mumbai - 1 - █National News ? News ? MSN India
Dean Jones says Shiv Sena's Bal Thackeray threat very real
ABC Sport - Cricket bigger than IPL threats: Hopes

a very in-depth editorial from The Age
The crime is violence, regardless of race

Nothing but some publicity stunt. They do stuff like this all the time. Noone in this country takes such a ████ of a party seriously. They threatened the Aussies in that 2008 Ind-Aus series as well, but nothing happened there. They say such things for the sake of saying. Bal "motherfliper" Thackrey knows very well that if he attacks the sport the whole country is mad about, then whatever chance he has of coming back to power in the next elections will be lost forever. So, for the sake of his own party, he will never ever do what he is saying. Yeah, Shiv Sena has dug pitches in the past; but their power ends there itself. Believe me, they just don't have the guts to stop the Aussie cricketers from playing here!

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Guys, this is a cricket forum. Lets not get into politics. People think he is right coz the present scenario of Indian students getting thrashed almost daily is angering people no ends here. Its his opinion.

Last edited:

MS Dhoni

School Cricketer
So??? I can just say the opposite of what he said and it will be treated the same way as his statement will be treated. He is no one to bann anything in Maharastra. He pretty much blames everything that happens in Maharastra as if he is the king but he actually doesn't know that he is just making a fool out of himself. I guess he just wants more of just India vs Sri Lanka series.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Australia is one of the safest places in the world, I think Indian students are more in danger at home than here.

Didn't want to go into politics, it is fine if people don't agree with me.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Australia is one of the safest places in the world, I think Indian students are more in danger at home than here.

Very debatable. I wouldn't say that after 1,456 (reported) attacks(who knows the real figures) on Indian students in 2009 alone.

rahuldravidfan added 3 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Didn't want to go into politics, it is fine if people don't agree with me.

Sure :). The problem here is that some Aussies are giving a bad-name to the entire nation and the government of Australia refuses to accept the obvious drawbacks on the racial front. I am extremely sure that the reaction would have been completely different had the roles been reversed here.

King Cricket

International Coach
People think he is right coz the present scenario of Indian students getting thrashed almost daily is angering people no ends here

If a dog bites you, in return, will you bite him as well? That will be stooping down to the level of the dog, and committing an equal sort of offence. Same applies here. Just replace the dog with the paltry population of racist Australians, and an equally annoying Police Commissioner, who are giving their entire country a bad name.

No offence intended, but Thackrey is really a moron.

You just copy/pasted what that Aussie Police Commissioner had to say, didn't you? Well mate, the records say quite a different thing. But that's a different story, requires a different thread, and shouldn't be discussed here.

Last edited:

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
They have dug up a number of pitches prepared for India-Pakistan matches in the past.

They did it just one. Exaggeration much in the media?

rahuldravidfan added 2 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

If a dog bites you, will you bite him as well? That will be stooping down to the level of the dog, and committing an equal sort of offence. Same applies here. Just replace the dog with those few racist Australians, who are giving the entire country a bad name.

No offence intended, but Thackrey is really a moron.

None taken. His method might be different, but what he wants to convey his right - 'Stop attacks on Indian students. You are crossing the line now.' Everyone says this in their homes. This man can say it in the open. And he's just expressing his opinion

ajdude

International Coach
Come on guys, it's like cricket stats, you guys like cricket, yeah? Mike Atherton was considered a great batsman, but only had an average of 37. Same applies here, just because of some stats, doesn't mean it's true. >_>

Actually, I'm just talking ████, I don't really care tbh.

King Cricket

International Coach
And he's just expressing his opinion

He isn't just "expressing" his opinion, he is encouraging his party members to commit acts of violence against the Australians when they come here. Expressing your opinion in such a violent manner is called "extremism". And extremism shouldn't be tolerated in a country like India.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
This is the charm of democracy. Everyone has an opinion and no one can wrong anyone for expressing one. Let the government of Australia issue an official apology (which is the norm everywhere in the world after a mistake is made) and he'll step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread