Australian Domestic Cricket

midgetwars

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Dammit, why does Ponting have to perform?

Was Ponting's confidence down or something against South Africa? It still doensn't make any sense how he smashed 100s here and there against in the domestic scenes and literally fall to his knees in the tests against South Africa.

alexczarn

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dammit, why does Ponting have to perform?

Was Ponting's confidence down or something against South Africa? It still doensn't make any sense how he smashed 100s here and there against in the domestic scenes and literally fall to his knees in the tests against South Africa.

The South African bowlers were a notch above the state attacks around here.

cricketmad09

International Coach
Domestic season is coming to a close and once again there are little to no batsmen knocking on the door for selection.

Australia A have a tour in June and it'll be another chance for some of the domestic batsmen to make a statement.

My team for that tour would be

Silk
S. Marsh
Burns
Doolan
Ferguson
Smith
Paine
Cutting
Agar
Richardson
Sayers

Back ups would be McDonald, Ahmed/Holland, Maddinson, Faulkner

War

Chairman of Selectors

They are, but the quick bowlers in state cricket are fairly decent.

Its a weird thing with Ponting this season, I am suspecting just as the case was with Hayden in 2008/09, he just couldn't handle the media pressure anymore.

Every little failure from Ponting was being scrutinized to the limit during his last year as a player.

----------

Domestic season is coming to a close and once again there are little to no batsmen knocking on the door for selection.

Australia A have a tour in June and it'll be another chance for some of the domestic batsmen to make a statement.

Silk
S. Marsh
Burns
Doolan
Ferguson
Smith
Paine
Cutting
Agar
Richardson
Sayers

S Marsh & Burns could very well be on the Ashes tour tough.

Plus the more i see of Faulkner, i think he could be better option as an test all-rounder @ # 7 that Henriques. His bowling is more incisive & his batting is equally as good Henriques.

midgetwars

Club Captain

These South African bowlers let Cowan to score a 100 and let Clarke score two double hundreds while Ponting was failing.

Not quite sure, what was going on there with Ponting and Quiney as well performing at shield and failing against the Saffers while Hussey performs everywhere and Clarke who failed in shield just went nuts.

I guess the pressure just got to Ponting. Like War said.

alexczarn

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These South African bowlers let Cowan to score a 100 and let Clarke score two double hundreds while Ponting was failing.

Not quite sure, what was going on there with Ponting and Quiney as well performing at shield and failing against the Saffers while Hussey performs everywhere and Clarke who failed in shield just went nuts.

I guess the pressure just got to Ponting. Like War said.

I reckon you're right, must've been a mental thing.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Great to see Ponting and Hussey shredding the Sheffield Shield.:mad No doubt Silk is turning more heads after 'that catch' and now some good scores.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

Silk
S. Marsh
Burns
Doolan
Ferguson
Smith
Paine
Cutting
Agar
Richardson
Sayers

That would pretty much be my team although Faulkner for Richardson.

cricketmad09

International Coach
That would pretty much be my team although Faulkner for Richardson.

On merit I would say Faulkner. But I'm having Richardson in my team because due to injuries he's still yet to play much first class cricket at all. I think Richardson would get a lot more out of it than Faulkner.

----------

They are, but the quick bowlers in state cricket are fairly decent.

Its a weird thing with Ponting this season, I am suspecting just as the case was with Hayden in 2008/09, he just couldn't handle the media pressure anymore.

Every little failure from Ponting was being scrutinized to the limit during his last year as a player.

----------

S Marsh & Burns could very well be on the Ashes tour tough.

Plus the more i see of Faulkner, i think he could be better option as an test all-rounder @ # 7 that Henriques. His bowling is more incisive & his batting is equally as good Henriques.

The Australia A tour is actually before the Ashes during the champions trophy. So that wouldn't be an issue. Might even be a chance for guys like Khawaja and Siddle to get in a bit of match practice.

Faulkner is a handy all round player. But as a pure no. 7 he's ordinary. With our already weak and inconsistent batting line up I don't really think that we can afford to have players like Faulkner and Henriques in the team at no. 7

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Shaun Marsh is the last person I'd pick. Injury prone, rubbish, not young enough to have excuses and not advanced enough to be a a guiding senior player. I'd much sooner have players who have removed themselves from selection contention, like Ponting or Hussey.

Faulkner is very talented. I think as a limited overs 7 he's fine, but looking towards Test matches, he has to make the big scores. That's what put Henriques on the map this season, it's why Johnson got to bat at 7 in Sydney. I don't think it's beyond him, but it may not be worth rushing into it.

Two things I notice from this season. One, wickets might have been a bit easy to come by and two, there's also a lot of players at the moment that really need 2 more seasons; hard not to argue that the two are somehow connected.

But it also highlights anyone worth noticing. Burns didn't have a greatly consistent season, but he did he get the hundreds. Nic Maddinson is another; not the greatest stats overall, but the kid can iron out a first class bowling attack. Doolan too of course and you could probably bank on Cosgrove at this point. They might go with one of the older ones. Silk might be a bit of a hurried choice, but I can't say it would hurt. I think there's a need to either pick oldies or a couple of players in this current Test squad. At least one of Khawaja, Smith and Hughes, if not two, could stand to make the tour.

With pace they're spoilt for choice, so I won't even go into it. Keepers could be interesting, especially if they want two. Haddin and Wade were the only keepers to bat well in the summer, but if I was going for gloves, Ludeman was very slick. Sam Whiteman and Pete Handscomb definitely fall into that 'two more seasons' kind of area, but I do like Handscomb's play against spin, so that might be worth earmarking.

The other area is spin. On paper, O'Keefe has the most wickets, but Ashton Agar and Fawad Ahmed showed what a spinner is all about with big hauls in the 3rd innings. Adam Zampa also looked really good when O'Keefe was injured. And if Jon Holland was fit, that wouldn't suck either. Pick all the spinners! They did send a good number of spinners last time to England and they probably will again. It really can't hurt. The only problem is the misfortune such as befell Holland, given the opportunity but wiped out when needed. The more players that get opportunities, the better for that.

War

Chairman of Selectors
The Australia A tour is actually before the Ashes during the champions trophy. So that wouldn't be an issue. Might even be a chance for guys like Khawaja and Siddle to get in a bit of match practice.

Faulkner is a handy all round player. But as a pure no. 7 he's ordinary. With our already weak and inconsistent batting line up I don't really think that we can afford to have players like Faulkner and Henriques in the team at no. 7

Oh ok my bad, i didn't check when the a-team matches were scheduled.

I fully agree that long AUS can''t afford to have # 7 in tests being Henriques or Faulkner. Although the decision making process in India has been crap, the selectors probably had to pick Henriques in India because they needed 5 bowlers in those conditions.

However watching Faulkner in the big bash & ODI's vs Windies. I think he looks a bit more complete as potential # 7 all-rounder currently than Henriques.

But of course i guess Mitchell Marsh is the ideal man for the role long term.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Shaun Marsh is the last person I'd pick. Injury prone, rubbish, not young enough to have excuses and not advanced enough to be a a guiding senior player. I'd much sooner have players who have removed themselves from selection contention, like Ponting or Hussey.

Yeah I've come to the same conclusion about Marsh. As I said in the India tour thread, I think his name has played a big factor in selections. I was going back over his shield performances in recent years, and he's barely completed half a season. Some of that is due to his ODI appearances and a handful of tests, but otherwise he's getting injured or suspended regularly.

2008/09
Open: 25, 74*
Open: 5, 30
Open: 1, 15
Open: 16, 1

167 @ 23.86

2009/10
Three: 70, 20*
Three: 1, 2
Three: 3, 94
Three: 27, 70
Three: 82, 108*

477 @ 59.63

2010/11
Open: 137, 89
Four: 86, 27
Four: 20
Three: 5, 50

414 @ 59.14

2011/12
Three: 79, 12
Three: 14
Three: 21, 0
Three: 34, 35

195 @ 27.86

2012/13
Three: 1, 3
Three: 14, 30
Five: 11, 2
Five: 7, 84

152 @ 19

He's had that one purple patch across a couple of games in 2010, and I only call it that since his debut tonne and 80 odd against Sri Lanka also fell in that period. Add to that, yeah he's almost 30 and doesn't look like turning into a disciplined Mike Hussey esque character.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
He's one of those players the ugly batsmen must hate, because he flatters to deceive so easily. Yes the bat can come through quite elegantly, but technically, his footwork and backlift are built for facing straight bowling. When the ball is moving, he's a poodle.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Quite right, and those lack of draws has been reflected in the lack of defensive batting skills in the Aussie team. No one plays for time anymore it seems. The other thing with longer games is that it brings the spinner into it more, which is the other massive area of weakness in Aussie cricket: developing a spinner, and playing good spin.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Marsh is one of the most overrated players going around and everywhere I look his name still gets thrown into lineups that are supposedly better than our current one. If you can't score runs in domestic cricket then you are little hope of doing it at the top level and Ponting, Haddin and Haddin have shown class players can still score runs on these green tops in domestic cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread